October 22, 2014 | 940 users online

Other - Omega 3 supplement

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2010 2:07:00 AM More reviews by Banjos

I use Puritan's Pride Omega-3 Supreme fish oil. It contains 950 mgs. of fatty acids (DHA & EPA) per each 1360 mg. capsule of fish oil. I take 2-3 capsules daily--this much only because a cardiologist suggested fish oil as a treatment for a heart irregularity (PVCs) I was experiencing. I was amazed that the PVCs improved in three weeks and were gone by seven weeks. I had been experiencing them for over six months and prescription changes were not helping at all. I rarely have fishy burps but some people have to adjust to fish oil. Change brands if you burp too much. Purtain's has periodic Buy1/Get 3 Free sales.
My chronic acne problems did not seem to worsen or improve when I began using fish oil. Hair, nail condition, vision, mood or skin oiliness...no change. Fish oil lowers triglycerides but can raise total cholesterol in some people. That happened to me but the ratio of HDL/LDL stayed about the same. UPDATE: I have switched to the Nature Bounty 1,400mg. Fish Oil that I have only found at Costco. With this I can take one capsule daily and get much more omega acids because it is very concentrated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I love the way my skin feels when I take Omega 3. A+

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by MinnieMouse16

I've been taking Webber Naturals omega 369 fish oil supplement for about a week. I started because I wanted help to control my acne (I have very mild acne). I recently read that omega 369 supplement can actually cause acne instead of prevent it and that it's best to just take omega 3. I stopped taking the omega 369 because I've been getting tiny pimples with little white heads on them (I NEVER get these). I bought Nature's Bounty to try which is JUST omega 3 fish oil so I'm hoping to see some improvement!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2010 10:29:00 PM More reviews by ems001

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I took an Omega 3 supplement once a day for a couple weeks and I noticed my nails were getting stonger. They weren't breaking as easily and they were also growing more. I'm not really sure if my hair got shinier, if it did, I didn't notice it, but I did notice the nails. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to try. The only reason I gave them 4 lippies is because they are soo big and a little hard to swallow. There are gummies you can also with Omega 3, but they don't contain as much as the capsule supplements.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by VanityInsanity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I take these regularly and find that along with my vitamin E they keep my skin looking in tip top condition.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 12:28:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was using fish oil supplements for about a month and a half and I've pretty much had it. I was hoping it would improve my skin and control my acne but it did nothing. In fact, it actually made it worse, especially my back and chest. FYI-my back and chest almost never break out, only my chest occasionally. The fish oil caused big inflammed acne all over my back, it was disgusting! I'm pissed because I always had beautiful skin on my back (I know, it's just the back but hey, summer's rolling around) and always looked forward to wearing tank tops. Now I'm embarrassed and I'm also left with ugly acne scars. I don't understand why fish oil gave me inflammed acne when it's suppose to be an anti-inflammatory component. I have a pretty healthy diet, I work out, take care of my skin and I've also tried two of the best brands, Nordic Naturals and Carlson. It seems so unfair that I take care of myself and my skin but still have bad breakouts. I noticed my breakouts were getting worse but kept using it hoping to get to a point where it would finally stop and I would just be left with great skin. There was about a week where my skin actually looked pretty good (with a lot of attention to skin care) and I thought the fish oil was finally improving my skin but unfortunately, almost like it was waiting dormant before letting me have it, I got one of the worst breakouts in a while. It was all throughout my forehead, which is an area that doesn't really break out, and along my jaw and neck. It just seems like fish oil caused me to breakout in areas that aren't prone to break out. I wanted to keep taking this in hopes that this wasn't all in vain but I honestly couldn't stand the breakouts anymore. I'm disappointed that this didn't work for me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2010 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Mishkyn

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Crazy cystic acne within 3 weeks of starting the gel capsules--from one of the best vitamin companies---both my neurologists use the same formulation.

It must be a valuable supplement since so many "brain" drs take it, but if you break out from iodine in multi-vitamins, or from excessive seafood, this will put mountains on your face.

Five weeks after stopping the product and my face is still breaking out. At least it is slowing down.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 11:53:00 PM More reviews by saraevamaya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I consider fish oil a beauty staple. I prefer to get nutrients from whole foods, but this is a great addition to food given that I can't afford wild caught fish as frequently as I'd like. In general when I consume a lot of essential fatty acids my dry hair looks better and my sensitive scalp is somewhat soothed. I also notice that my oily skin is a bit more balanced, and as this happens, I break out less. I do want to mention that this only happens when I consume both omega-3 and omega-6 fats, whereas a big imbalance in either direction can make matters worse. I eat hemp seeds and/or oil to help with this because they have a decent amount of omega 6, including GLA (the anti-inflammatory kind). I've also taken evening primrose for their GLA. But as long as I keep the two types of fatty acids in balance, my skin and hair looks incredibly healthy and oil/moisture is balanced.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 9:14:00 PM More reviews by isingonrooftops

I have heard only good things about omega fish oil, such as that it help prevent cardiovascular disease, cancer, strokes, arthritis, Alzheimer's, respiratory & neurological disorders including bipolar & depression, as well as well as promote younger-looking skin and glossier hair, so I was happy when my mom started buying the oil pills. I'm young, so I'm not sure how beneficial it is when it comes to preventing diseases and making me look good, but it's worth a shot. I mean, it's relatively cheap compared to most of the high-end cosmetics that I have to buy with my own money. I have noticed that my skin's been looking more radiant, and that my hair's been falling out less, but that could also be because I've been getting more sleep lately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2010 7:52:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hands down, marine omega-3 fish oil is good & necessary for health.