John Frieda luminous color glaze in brilliant brunette

3.5

on 4/29/2010 9:34:00 AM

I have medium-to-dark brown hair with a few grays,which has a tendency to turn brassy, and is very long/thick/wavy. I haven't had to color my hair in six months with use of this product! It really does extend the life of your hair color, and even gives some grey coverage, and the price can't be beat. It's not long lasting or dramatic, but I find that using it once or twice a week does make a difference - adds shine, prevents/corrects brassiness, and extends color life. It's a little messy to use - it's kind of gloopy and gets everywhere, and stains your hands temporarily, but that's nothing a little soap and water can't take care of... it's definitely a LOT cheaper and faster than a visit to the salon or an at-home hair-coloring session, so I think it is worth it 100%.

on 3/27/2010 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is now one of my favorite hair products, and I use it almost every time I shampoo.

It pretty much lives up to the claims on the label, giving hair a satiny feel and a lot more shine. With repeated use it even provides some gray coverage.

I use a loving care type hair color that doesn't cover all my resistant gray very well (but looks natural and does no harm). This glaze boosts the coverage and extends the life of each touch up by a week or two -- so it is worth the bother for me.

As the label indicates, the results improve with repeated use.

I leave it on for 6-10 minutes, while I'm washing the rest of me, and that may be why my results are better than some others have had.

My hair tends to be coarse and dull, and it is moderately damaged. No other product I've used has made my hair really shine. I've gotten compliments since starting to use this glaze.

on 3/17/2010 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really like this, it does add shine to my hair, but not amazing amounts. You also have to wash your hands immediately, or it will stain. It gives an extra boost of shine, but I don't think it's a miracle product

Didn't do anything for me besides stain my shower curtain and tub. Texuture is absolutely horrible and hard to rinse, didn't do anything for my hair.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I really like this glaze. It gives me just an oomph of color and makes my hair all shiny and bright looking. I totally agree with the reviewer below me...this is not a totally change your hair color treatment...it gives shine and helps make dull hair look better

on 7/11/2009 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I recently purchased a bottle of the John Freida Luminous Glaze for espresso to chestnut hair types....I think its really good! For those that complain about this product failing to color your hair or change the color of your highlights, please read the packaging. It clearly states " this is NOT a permanent hair color, and WILL NOT lift for lighten hair color". It's a hair glaze! If your looking for dramatic color difference, then just go color your hair! A hair glaze is meant to just amp up your natural hair when it looks dull and gives a little shine. Its not there to work miracles . The hint of color does not mean your hair will change colors dramatically, its just designed to give boost to the already brown hair you have. You will see a difference when your in the sun, the hair appears more vibrant, but if your inside your hair looks the same. I have used this 3 times so far, it has made my hair soft, it smells pretty good (like a salon) and yes it does stain, but not that much, just wash off with soap right after you apply, its not a big deal. I am excited to see more results as i continue to use this product. I recommend this product to those that just want to add a boost to their natural brunette hair, but i don't recommend to those that are expecting their hair to completely change colors. Hope this review helps :)

on 5/17/2009 2:50:00 AM

I'm very nervous about coloring my hair -- it tends to be dry, and I don't want to commit to a permanent color -- so I decided to take a baby step with this glaze. I applied it, rinsed, and my brown hair was -- wait for it -- still brown! The shine, what little I could see, didn't last but for a couple of days. All it did was stain my shower liner. I should note that I also had a glaze done at a salon, and it didn't work much better. Maybe my wavy hair isn't meant to be shiny, but there's no reason to waste my time in the bathroom with this bottle of gunk and get nothing out of it.

on 3/7/2009 2:40:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I really liked *most* everything about this product, the bottle makes for easy application, the smell is pretty good for a color, the added dimension that it gave my hair was great. The shade took on a deep auburn in my hair that already has a natural deep red undertone, not sure if it would do that on other base colors though. The problem for me lay in how VERY DRYING this was for my already Winter dry hair. I am guessing that this is an issue with the citric acid that this contains? At any rate, while the color is nice.... I would never rebuy, even @ the $4 Big Lots price. I greatly prefer Wella Color Charm demi colors for even more brilliant results and Color Charm actually makes my hair feel NICER!

on 2/18/2009 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love all the other products in the Brilliant Brunette collection, except this one. I just don't feel like it does that good of a job for the price. It is also very messy and it made my hair pretty greasy. I think if you use the rest of the products, especially the moisture one, it does a fine job. This is not vital, just okay.

on 10/30/2008 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a review of the Chestnut to Espresso color. I tried using this according to the instructions: wash hair, condition hair, put the glaze on and leave it on for a few minutes then rinse it out. I really did not like using it that way. My hair ending up feeling dirty and limp no matter how well I rinsed it. So, the next thing I tried was putting the product on my dry hair. I saturated the top layer of my hair with straight glaze and then mixed the glaze around 1/2 and 1/2 with regular conditioner to saturate the rest of my hair. I combed it through and left it on for about an hour while I puttered around the house then I washed and conditioned my hair like normal. That actually worked really well. I could see the extra shine and the color deposit. I did that once a week for about a month and I REALLY saw the deposit. I got a few compliments and a few "Your hair looks really, [pause], BROWN." So, used that way the glaze really does deposit color and shine. The thing is though, that I don't actually like the color it deposits. It's basically crayola brown, like pretty much exactly the color of the crayon named "brown". I did find the smell really nasty and the product itself really slimy. There isn't anything wrong with the color; it's just not a color I like. However, if you want your hair that particular shade and you want to do it without the damage of a permanent or semi-permanent hair color then I think this is a good product. I would certainly be willing to try other shades if they came up with any that suited me better.