April 19, 2014 | 1741 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - luminous color glaze in brilliant brunette

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Momma2myQTZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really liked *most* everything about this product, the bottle makes for easy application, the smell is pretty good for a color, the added dimension that it gave my hair was great. The shade took on a deep auburn in my hair that already has a natural deep red undertone, not sure if it would do that on other base colors though. The problem for me lay in how VERY DRYING this was for my already Winter dry hair. I am guessing that this is an issue with the citric acid that this contains? At any rate, while the color is nice.... I would never rebuy, even @ the $4 Big Lots price. I greatly prefer Wella Color Charm demi colors for even more brilliant results and Color Charm actually makes my hair feel NICER!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2009 11:39:00 PM More reviews by haleyhay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love all the other products in the Brilliant Brunette collection, except this one. I just don't feel like it does that good of a job for the price. It is also very messy and it made my hair pretty greasy. I think if you use the rest of the products, especially the moisture one, it does a fine job. This is not vital, just okay.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by LittleBear23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review of the Chestnut to Espresso color. I tried using this according to the instructions: wash hair, condition hair, put the glaze on and leave it on for a few minutes then rinse it out. I really did not like using it that way. My hair ending up feeling dirty and limp no matter how well I rinsed it. So, the next thing I tried was putting the product on my dry hair. I saturated the top layer of my hair with straight glaze and then mixed the glaze around 1/2 and 1/2 with regular conditioner to saturate the rest of my hair. I combed it through and left it on for about an hour while I puttered around the house then I washed and conditioned my hair like normal. That actually worked really well. I could see the extra shine and the color deposit. I did that once a week for about a month and I REALLY saw the deposit. I got a few compliments and a few "Your hair looks really, [pause], BROWN." So, used that way the glaze really does deposit color and shine. The thing is though, that I don't actually like the color it deposits. It's basically crayola brown, like pretty much exactly the color of the crayon named "brown". I did find the smell really nasty and the product itself really slimy. There isn't anything wrong with the color; it's just not a color I like. However, if you want your hair that particular shade and you want to do it without the damage of a permanent or semi-permanent hair color then I think this is a good product. I would certainly be willing to try other shades if they came up with any that suited me better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 11:29:00 AM More reviews by imnotreallyadoctor

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like all John Frieda Brilliant Brunette products, this smelled fantastic. Whilst you're in the shower, before you shampoo, you just squirt a dollop into your palm and spread through your hair. After drying, I noticed my colour was immediately shinier and less frizzy. With time, though, it actually changes the tone of your colour. I have had problems with my dyed-brown hair, as it sometimes fades to a nasty orange shade, but I feel less trepidation about washing my hair when I use this beforehand. A very pleasant and effective glaze treatment.
I've also tried the clear kind, and it works even better. My hair is quite fine, dry and naturally stiff and this product worked so well that I didn't even find the need to straighten my nearly-waves, they turned out so nice. My hair is silky smooth and looks super pretty. Absolutely love this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 10:04:00 PM More reviews by ladykestryl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product because I dye my grey hair back to my natural color. I have been going grey since I was 21. After a time my dye goes brassy, but not since I have used this product. I found it at a discount store for $5 USD, not bad really. I have since read that the formula has changed. If that is true, I doubt I will use it. From the reviews I see that Sunsilk color boost is similar. I might give that one a try.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2008 1:47:00 AM More reviews by ELIZApatricia

This is an amazing product! Especially for those like myself, who have colored, thick, coarse, dry hair....this product not only helps maintain my rich brown hue, but also makes my hair softer and shinier than any high end conditioner I have tried! I darken my brown hair, and hate that my color always seems to fade/lighten, but this product massively extends the life of my color! I use the "Chestnut to Espresso" which has deep and very natural brunette hues, it's great for keeping your hair from fading (IMO). The only thing that bugs me is the scent, it's not bad at all, but it overpowers all my other hair products, (I am a scent junkie and don't want my hair to smell the same all the time). However, I will never stop using this, and it's a fab product!**EDIT: This review was for the old formula, just tried the new formula, it is MUCH more drying and the color seems more red. @#$!#$%# why'd they change the formula?!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2008 11:32:00 PM More reviews by lauriebeth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found wearing thin throw away plastic gloves did away with the hand staining. The clear glaze is a much better product, not as oily & not as chemical smelling as the color glaze. I've switched to the clear, and am very satisfied.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2008 9:49:00 AM More reviews by Rosie22

Just wash your hair and then apply the glaze. Do not condition as well - they want you to use more products so they tell you to condition before you use this but it is not necessary. I think it contains quite a lot of silicone which is why some pepole find it slimy. Leave on for 5 mins plus for a better colour effect. And rinse with the coolest water you can take - it will close the hair follicles and look even shinier. I love it - I use it between colouring my hair to keep shine and to minimise the grey showing at the roots. I alternate between the red and the dark brown for depth of colour. I think it's an excellent one although a little pricy. And wash hands immediately after applying or you will end up looking like Nicole Kidman soemtimes does with her red hands - she must use it!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2008 4:13:00 PM More reviews by sbl679

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After 5+ years of overhighlighting my naturally brunette hair color, I had it re-colored back to what we think is the root color, and I am using this product to help keep the color bright and even, especially at the ends where it was so light in the first place. This is a bit greasy and doesn't smell all that great, but I find that it works well for me in between color applications at keeping the color nice and dark. I comb in through thoroughly after application so I don't use as much, which cuts down on the grease factor. It will stain so make sure to wash your hands and rinse yourself off, if you use it in the shower, immediately. I do use it three times a week, but no more than that. Every day would be way too much and my hair wouldn't style well due to the oil-based formula.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2007 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Kozzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this stuff in the espresso in the hopes of deepening and adding shine to my already very dark hair. I was not terribly impressed. It does add a nice shine but also adds a greasy feel to hair, and I am one who likes to use heavier products on my hair to tame it. I have also found that it is easy to race through a bottle very quickly. I have noticed that there does seem to be a red undertone to this product but it does not make my hair look reddish, probably b/c the color is already deep. I am not in love with the fragrance which I find a little heavy.
All in all I do not feel that this product is worth the cost.