September 18, 2014 | 1999 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 7:57:00 AM More reviews by 1017

I can not believe I have used for three summers in a row and have yet to review this! I have worn this in 88% humidity at 90 degrees, playing in a park with a bunch of second graders and it has held up pretty darn nice without breaking me out. I would not use this in the cooler months as I have normal to dry skin. But in the summer my t-zone can get oily & I get sweaty. I also mix this with my favorite SPF, Olay Complete Sensitive Skin for lighter coverage and easier application. It doesn't feel or look to heavy once it is on, but sometimes I think "why am I applying heavier foundation in the summer?" ( I use MAC F&B in the cooler months.)

Pros:
-Love the squeeze bottle and that it isn't open mouthed
-No SPF - this is a plus for me, I am senstive to SPF's and can only use my Olay.
-Good coverage
-Helps keep me matte

Cons
-Feels a touch heavier than I would prefer for summer which is when it works best for me.
-I can not use this in the cooler/drier months - but not really a con for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by yarasa

I keep on hearing about how great the makeup forever matte foundations were and decided to give it a try.
When i first bought it i loved it, it matched perfectly with my skin, I didn't feel oily
But when I started wearing it outside and to work thats a whole different story.
The foundation didn't get me the full coverage I was looking for and by hour 2 my face started melting and looking shiny and oily. Through you the day I kept on having to re apply and use powder and made be breakout even more and since it is a water based foundation it gets a shade darker (I wish i knew that before) overall I won't be buying it again

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by glossy81

I don't really like this foundation, actually I don't think I'm a fan of MUFE foundations in general, although they have a nice color range. The coverage isn't good enough, I don't like the finish, it's looks dry on my skin. It creases in my laugh lines and doesn't control my oil at all. I'm sure it would be nice for someone but I won't ever repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by pembrokee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using this foundation 10 years ago. The formula and packaging was changed about 7-8 years ago, i honestly, prefer the old version. I still like the new formula, but its not my go to.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by jackuzzi1212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation for my oily skin. It has amazing coverage and a wide range of shades. It stays matte basically all day. My only complaint is that the packaging isn't my favorite (I prefer a pump foundation) and the full coverage doesn't last all day. I need to do touch ups in 4-6 hours depending on the heat.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by Sbonitati13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am very oily and this is my HG. ❤️ it truly helps keep me matte and stays on all day. Even though it is pricey it works best for me

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 4:13:00 PM More reviews by bradfordnat1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best foundation I've tried in awhile. It's very soft and light on your skin. Doesn't have a weird smell and is super full coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/21/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by Iampo0kie

I initially loved this foundation. It did everything a foundation was supposed to do. Covered really well (could be full coverage easily) and did not budge. The finish was UNBEATABLE. I have pretty bumpy skin and redness, and this foundation just flattened and evened everything out. And it looked like my real skin! The color range was not as wide as the HD foundation, but I still managed to find a shade that blended seamlessly. It did not accentuate my pores or dry skin as much as other foundations (it wasnt perfect, but nothing is!). The packaging was perfect! Hygienic and portable.

In the end, the foundation broke me out. The sad thing is, I kept on using it because I loved the way it looked anyway. Every time I wore it for more than 5 hours, I would discover a large swollen pimple. It sometimes gave me cysts! I'm pretty sure it was the sodium chloride in the foundation. Every other ingredient is not on the list of chemicals that break you out. Either that or it was the thickness of the foundation, that suffocated the skin. If you are not a sensitive skinned person, I definitely recommend the foundation. However, this is a warning to all breakout prone people. Please test before buying!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2014 8:26:00 PM More reviews by notaunicorn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Take my four star rating with a grain of salt - my skin type isn't the target demographic for this foundation line having rather dry and flaky skin... but I used this foundation for over 6 months thanks to it being a near perfect match for my slightly warm (product was a little on the pink side of neutral, but it worked) and very pale skin (No. 15). This product applied beautifully with a beauty blender and could easily be sheered out to a light to medium coverage (my preference). My main gripe is that it was matte... and on my dry skin it was ULTRA matte and drying. It had a tendency to settle a bit by the end of the day and to cling to any dryness in my skin. Even though it's flaws on my skin, I found ways to make it mostly wearable until I found a foundation better suited to my skin type that comes in an equally fair (and slightly warmer - yay!) shade (KGD Moisture Foundation).

My biggest gripe is the packaging - it comes in a stiff, thick, opaque plastic tube. There's virtually no way to tell how much is left aside from the changing weight of the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 3:26:00 AM More reviews by larosedechanel

Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation is one of my very favourite foundations; it quickly became a HG product in my collection I got colour no. 70 - Caramel - for medium-deep skin with beige undertones & its a great shade for my skin. For reference, I wear MAC NC45. Before this, I had never used anything by MUFE; I decided to take a risk & like I said, it ended up being one of the best foundations I own.

This line has excellent shade selection. It doesn't go as far as the HD foundation, but you'll more than likely find your shade. Like it says: it's a shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation. (Most matte foundations are oil-free & full coverage, so I don't think that's special.) I have acne, my skin is oily, & my skin tone is uneven; this is what I wear when I really want/need to hide that & when I'm going to be out for a long time. The wear time is unbelievable. I'm always weary of products that claim to be water-resistant because they hardly ever are, but this does it!

I apply Mat Velvet with a damp beauty blender & apply one section of my face at a time because as it is a full coverage & matte foundation, it sets quickly. It blends well, is easy to apply, & lasts long with a primer. It's kind of easy to apply too much because a little goes a long way & you do not know it until after it's already on your face. For a full coverage foundation though, I have to say this looks really natural. It stays matte all day & doesn't break me out. While this foundation is tried-&-true, it is a bit pricey at $36. If finances aren't an issue for you, give this a try because for the quality of the makeup, it's worth it.