Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I think when it comes to foundations many people don't really review it properly. I've read some of the reviews here claiming this is a medium coverage foundation, or that it's oily? Foundations don't just fix every facial issue you may have such as pores, acne. But it can definitely improve them.

Here's what this foundation is: FULL coverage, a higher full coverage for sure. Not like Kat Von D Lock-It; which I loved when I had cystic acne, but now that I do not it's just too heavy for me. But what I do have now are dark scars, and moderate large + super red acne that the average person doesn't have so I can attest to the coverage of this foundation fully. But Lock-It was my HG foundation for many years and it has a special place in my heart. This foundation is nothing even close to medium, perhaps they are using like a very small amount of foundation for it to appear medium. If you compare this consistency to any other truly medium coverage, like MUFE HD, L'oreal True Match, Mac Mineralize, you will see exactly what I mean and how thick this is compared to them. So yes, like I said not only is this full coverage, it's definitely a higher full coverage. The only foundation I can think of that is thicker is Kat Von-D's.

Stays matte, not oily. It's oil-free. Maybe people claiming this made them oily aren't setting their foundations properly, or not at all. Because I found that when I set this with my MAC prep+prime translucent powder (which is HG for my super oily skin, try it!) I have no issues at all. The ONLY problem I have this this foundation occasionally is if you 'over powder' it due to it's very matte nature you will look like a wrinkly witch. But that's on me being powder happy, not the foundation.

I find this to be comparable to Estee's double wear, but a thicker version in the sense that it doesn't move, matte, stays on all day. Overall, when I want a full coverage, matte foundation I know won't move all day, I use this. Sometimes I will go to my MUFE HD when I want something more satin, but this really is my HG for a nice full coverage matte foundation.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am surprised that so many people don't like this foundation! I am a NC20/25 and my colour is 40 and I have combination-oily skin. First of all, the colour is just right. The coverage is great, medium to full. I have some dark circles and some acne scars. But I don't really need concealers after this. It sets well though I always use powder. I prefer this over the Estee Laduer Double Wear when it comes to full coverage foundations. I notice that a lot of people do not like it when it is applied. I find the Beautyblender is the best method of application. I have just finished it last week and I am sorry to see it go. I will repurchase it soon when I finish my other foundations - I have way too many bottles.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I will not buy this product again.

Pro: The color matches my skin and makes it look very natural. It does a nice job covering blemish and uneven color.

Cons: It's not a good fit for oily skin even though it claims to be. My whole face turns super oily after an hour and every hour after blotting.

Ew. Color selection was very poor for olive/yellow undertones (nc 35-37). Too orange or too pink and I tried no 51 and no 53. Emphasized dry patches and it got worse as the day went on. Decent at controlling oil. This does photograph nicely and doesn't give flashback but I wish the color selection was better and it wasn't so drying.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I really like this foundation a lot. It is full coverage with a matte finish. It dries quickly but it's very easy to blend. It last all day, it works pretty good on my oily, but it's definitely not my everyday foundation.

I bought this in shade 15 which is a close but a little too neutral not really pink, it does provide excellent coverage. The formal would be better for com/ oily skin or even normal. It lasts a long time as far as on. For reference I'm a Nw5.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have really bad acne and this covers all the redness there is. It lasts for about 8 hours in really hot weather.

Overall, i really like this foundation except for the fact that it never seems to come off fully. I use 2-3 times the number of makeup removal products as compared to other foundations i previously used. It also seemed to clog my pores and cause breakouts. :/

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have purchased this twice. The color match is really nice, but the product is meh. It claims to be a mattifying foundation but it never really set on my face and slid around. It gets oily pretty quickly. The packaging is also great. I won't be repurchasing this. Too expensive and doesn't do much.

The short version: I liked the coverage and the lasting power, but it didn't look very natural. I probably would not buy this after my sample runs out.

I have combo/oily skin and prefer foundations with medium coverage and no scent.
--I liked the staying powder of this foundation. I did notice some wear off in spots after 6 hours, but then most foundations start of wear off on me after 3-4 hours. After 6 hours, there was some oil coming through, but definitely less than normal.
--When I applied this with my hands, the coverage was too sheer. When applied with a brush, it was a medium coverage, but tad bit too cakey and it would dry before I finished blending it out. This also really settled into the large pores on my cheeks and my developing fine lines.
--I was hesitant to try this because it has a slight rosy scent, and I extremely prone to headaches when I'm around new scents. Surprising this didn't cause me any issues. I couldn't even smell the roses after I applied the foundation.

Color matched to 30, which they were, of course, out of. Instead I tried a sample of 35 which was a tad too dark.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

UPDATED (1/2/2016)
I have been hearing this is a Revlon Colorstay Dupe? Eh.
So I used to use Revlon Colorstay because I have combo/oily skin and I loved it but I was looking for that perfect shade.
I was matched using Sephora's Color IQ (1y12. 1y is basically the lightest of yellow undertones practically olive) to color #57 and its a perfect MATCH. Which I have never been able to say.

I was incredibly impressed with their range of colors for women of color including warm and cool undertones that don't oxidize. Their shades are realistic and don't look masky.

It claims to be "A shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation." (according to Sephora's description)
NOTE:* This foundation is not completely MATTE. It is more of a DEMI-MATTE finish. The Revlon colorstay if you are familiar with that has more of a MATTE to me than this foundation.

I have combination skin so my oil is concentrated in my Tzone area. I do use a mattifying primer and a light dusting of setting powder in my Tzone with all my foundations so I can only provide a review as far as that goes. I purchased this in the summer. I live in Las Vegas, with hot humid weather and I commute by bus so I am exposed to the elements. I do feel this helps control shine but I would recommend a primer if you live in humid environment.

Specs:
$38 from Sephora
Shade Purchased: #57 warm pecan (has a yellow/olive undertone)
I apply this after I apply my gel moisturizer and primer.

Applicator:
Squeeze Bottle. This was different for me but it's small and easy to use. It's 1.01 oz. Which I believe is typical for dept store foundations. Although once you get to the bottom obviously I will not be able to get all the use out.

Texture: Liquid, not runny like MUFE HD foundation, sets with semi- matte finish although it still looks like skin. Its also very lightweight and perfect for a NO Makeup-Makeup Look. It doesn't settle into my pores nor dries my skin out.

Coverage:
Says Full/Medium Coverage? It's medium. No way around it unless you have SUPER PERFECT SKIN. You will need to build up or use concealer where needed this is medium coverage at best. If you have a lot of discoloration or acne scars etc and you ONLY use foundation for coverage you might want to forgo this one. I don't have much discoloration, no acne scars, a few things here and there and even I have to build for more coverage. So I don't think that's quite accurate. I think for $38 it should be SPOT ON full/med. But we've seen so many infomercials where they're putting foundation on models with Perfect skin. Don't even get me started on that.

I feel its easy to overuse this product because you are squeezing it out instead of pumping it out. I would start in the center of your face or wherever you have the most discoloration etc. to prevent wasting product.

Longevity:
Depends on climate, whether you use a primer and skintype. With my combo/oily skin and use of a primer, my foundation lasted much longer when I wasn't waiting for the bus in hot humid weather. I think the water resistant claim helps with humidity as I've used other Mattifying foundations that didn't hold up as well. But I don't think it's suitable for humid weather to be honest. More of a winter foundation but if you have normal/dry skin you could probably get away with it.

Worth the Cost?
Honestly, it depends. As a woman of color, our search for that PERFECT shade is sometimes an ongoing struggle when looking for realistic foundations that don't look masky. This foundation accomplishes that. They offer an impressive amount of shade ranges for women of color including realistic yellow based undertones which is EXTREMELY difficult to find in brown shades.

$38 for a high end foundation is becoming the standard for department store foundations. Some are not worth the quality for different reasons. I think MUFE put a lot of time into the formulation for ALL women to make a natural looking foundation. It gets 4 stars for that alone, you would think it wouldn't be that difficult to not make every brown shade red/orange but most fail at it.
Its not really full coverage so I think that's a bit misleading in my opinion. You are getting great quality with the price but don't expect full coverage without having to build it up. And for only a 1 oz. product, this might not be for you.

Would I repurchase?
All in all it was a great starting point for my search for the perfect foundation/undertone. It began with this but sadly did not end. I've since found a new love in Sacha Cosmetics Second skin foundation. At $20, its full coverage despite saying Medium coverage. I like to know I can sheer my foundation down instead of having to build it up and waste product. Also comes in my shade (Cocoa Beige which is a near exact dupe of MUFE mat velvet #57.)

If you're looking for an oil-free, med coverage foundation, natural looking foundation, with a good shade selection, I would go with the MUFE mat velvet, as the Sacha is not oil free. Not my first choice but still a nice quality foundation.