Aquolina Blue Sugar

4.3

on 1/20/2008 6:47:00 PM

I was totally surprised to happen upon Blue Sugar at my local Loblaws Superstore today - I immediately looked around for Pink (having never smelled it either) but it was nowhere to be found. I located a tester for Blue - it was missing the nozzle - so I turned that pretty blue bottle upside down and pressed the bare tube with my thumbnail. A few drops seeped out under my thumbnail and down my thumb. At first it smelled like a blue fruity freeze pop or something like that - sticky sugary sweet. In less than five minutes it mellowed into a soft black licorice scent. Not zingy like Twizzlers but softer, like Allsorts. I would have liked to have been able to mist this on so I could experience it more fully. As it stands, I would recommend this to lovers of black licorice/anise scents, but since DH detests black licorice, no sale here.

on 1/14/2008 9:13:00 PM

The opening is intensely sweet in a sticky, fruity, Bonne Bell lip gloss kinda way. The anise, coriander, and licorice notes add a hint of spiciness that slightly tempers the sugar, though it's a pretty straightforward fruity scent otherwise. I don't detect the ginger, patchouly, lavender or heliotrope notes. The dry-down reveals a somewhat generic oriental-type. It is an improvement but nothing to be rave over. There's tonka, caramel (not too sticky), vanilla, cedarwood--nice and something I might wear if I didn't have to deal with that awful opening. But it's still too sugary for me to imagine this on a man. The dry-down is inoffensive and pleasant, but the opening is incredibly cloying and over-the-top. Not for me.

on 12/15/2007 9:37:00 PM

a very interesting scent.. i love it a lot on my dh! it smells very manly, yet at the same time has a sweetness to it.
I can't wait to buy the full size for him!

on 10/23/2007 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I got this from Italy with a help of another MUA'er friend (she cp'd me). It was for my son as one of his presents for his birthday. My son like it! it smell nice on him, I can smell sugar, vanilla, and a hint of musk and tobacco. Simple, lightly gourmand yet very interesting fragrance. The staying power is also good. I also like the cute blue bottle and the blue round box packaging. I would definitely repurchase!

on 10/21/2007 5:20:00 PM

Compared to Pink Sugar, this does smell manly. Compared to pretty much any other fragrance, though, it does not. Incredibly sweet (but not as sweet as Pink Sugar) there is a cedar note in Blue Sugar that gives it a slight bit of masculinity (if you can call it that). The initial spray is sweet, sugary-caramel, licorice-woodsy on me and dries down to a mapley-cedar (but if I think about it, I can smell the anise and patchouli). I love how this smells on me, but not as much as I love Pink Sugar, which is sweeter, fresher; more candy and less wood. I would love to smell this on a man but I doubt I ever will (although I can see this appealing to the fashion-conscious male who enjoys a good fitting argyle sweater over a crisp, collared, button-down shirt, and well-groomed hair and nails. The bottle would look good on his dresser.)

notes: Bergamot, Tangerine Leaves, Star Anise, Ginger, Licorice, Patchouli Leaves, Lavender, Heliotrope, Coriander, Caramel, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Tonka Bean.

on 10/11/2007 4:37:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I think this would be good on a man, but I definitely don't consider it unisex.

on 9/3/2007 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was very suprised by blue sugar. I liked it at first sniff, and I decided to try a little on to see how it reacted to my skin. It smelled great at first, just like blue cotton candy, but after about 30 minutes it started giving me a horrible headache just like pink sugar. I would love it if I could convince my husband to wear blue sugar, but there is no way he would ever wear something so sweet. I really think aquolina should market this as a unisex fragrance, because it seems just as appealing to women as men. In fact, if you are women who has grown tired of pink sugar, I suggest you give it a try. Maybe it will work for you.

on 7/10/2007 11:56:00 PM

Get yourself a box of Good 'n' Plenty. Now, set it on fire. Tah-dah!. . .Blue Sugar! Burnt sugar and licorice. This stuff is beyond foul on me.

I bought this for my dh, but he thought it smelled great but was too sweet. I spritzed it on and voila! We both loved it -- on me! :) Complex and unisex, sweet but not cloying, nice lasting power and very reasonable price point. I'll enjoy this a lot in cooler weather.

It took me a little while to figure out Blue Sugar. The first time I smelled it, it smelled like fall, like burning leaves, cinnamon, and acorns (yes, I'm aware none of these are actual notes). About a week later, when I wore it again, I definaty could detect greens, anise, woods, and tonka bean, which I had missed the first time around. It's sweet without smelling like syrup-coated-dead-flowers as many "womens" fragrances do. It has great lasting power as well, about 12 hours on my skin.

Popular Fragrances (for Men)

Bleu de Chanel