July 28, 2014 | 681 users online

Foundations - Meow Cosmetics - Pampered Puss Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2013 4:09:00 AM More reviews by betriix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have spent the past year trying to find the perfect shade and formula of mineral foundation. I tried just about everything and was largely unsatisfied. I started thinking it was just me, and either my skin was too messed up to ever look nice, even in foundation, OR i was just neurotic and needed to move on to more important matters in life. Well, I have to say that I'm very glad I stuck it through, because I've finally found the most exquisite mineral makeup. I should mention that I tried Meow a few months back, but I couldn't get the shade down, so I gave up. Something inside said I needed to give it another go, and I'm so glad I did. My perfect match is half Frisky Siamese and half Naughty Manx. And for me what works best is a mix of Pampered and Flawless formulas. Pampered is lovely, but it really is pretty light on coverage. Mixing the two gives me an amazingly natural, radiant coverage. Finding the right color is so, so important, but you may have to work at it for a while. It's time consuming and somewhat expensive to keep ordering more samples, but once you nail your shade, it feels like a miracle. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's literally changed my life and increased my overall sense of well-being. Every time I apply this, I am simply in awe. I never thought my skin could look like that. Now my biggest fear is that Meow will someday go out of business, and I'll be stuck without this!

There is one minor thing that bugs me about this line... The difference between the Frisky and Naughty shade depth is enormous. Other people have noted this too. I really wish they would remedy this, because I fall right between the two (as I'm sure many people do) and am unwilling to buy a third jar. Once you start mixing colors and formulations, and then need different depths for summer and winter, it can get really out of hand. There are ways to manage it though, and the payoff of having PERFECT foundation for your skin is worth the trouble to me. A good way to fix a too-light shade is to buy samples of the darkest shade (Independent), and add in small amounts. That way you're using almost pure pigment. You can do this with the same color, or you can add in other colors. You can even purposely buy a color in a slightly too light shade, so that you can alter the color with a second shade in Independent. I'm not doing this with my Siamese/Manx blend, because I also want the Pampered/Flawless blend, so I have to buy two jars anyway.

Anyway, this stuff is amazing... !!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by Klervie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Frist off, I love these products! My skin actually looks much nicer, more even and no more blackheads or congestion (even using only a cleansing milk to remove all of my makeup). I have very dry, dehydrated skin so I was concerned using a powder foundation, but I also have very fair sensitive skin that is uneven in tone with slight redness; so, I needed something that wouldn't irritate my skin.

To combat the dryness, I gently exfoliate 2-3 times per week with a 6% probiotic yogurt and crushed oats, and layer moisturizers/oils before makeup, then set the mineral foundation with a couple spritz' of water. Honestly, Meow cosmetics doesn't exacerbate my dryness as much as every other foundation has (liquid, bb creme, mousse, etc.)

Anyway, the colours are really forgiving as long as you are are around the correct level. I am approx. MAC NC15 (approx tone); my skin is more yellow/golden undertone, and fair. I can match to Frisky and Sleek Abyssinian, Korat and Siamese (Update: Manx and Abyssinian match me much better than Siamese [Siamese is the darkest in the Frisky shades and I find it too on the pink side]) so far. I may try Manx in Frisky next (confirmed: matches NC15 yellow/gold undertone, it is more yellow than pink). Their blushes are amazing as well, super nice and vibrant colours, but that is for another review.

The only thing I dislike about Meow is the shipping! IT SUCKS! SO SLOW! I ordered on November 15th, received notification that my shipment was processed and shipped on the 19th and a tracking number. I just checked the tracking and it wasn't even received by the post office in PA until November 29th!!! So I am still going to have to wait 2-3 more weeks for it to reach me in Western Canada. :'( That is in EXCESS OF A MONTH worth of shipping time! And faster shipping options cost SO MUCH MORE!

All the other times my orders have taken over a month to arrive as well (about 35-41 days). I still love Meow but I am looking for other companies that may have faster shipping or I can purchase in stores.

I WOULD repurchase this, but if I can find something similar in stores or with faster shipping I won't.

**UPDATE** Ended up repurchasing because other brands just can't compete with Meow quality. My skin has been going haywire (painful cystic acne, nose and cheek congestion and jawline blackheads) since I stopped using Meow. I am back on Meow and my skin is clearing up again :) Plus, using Meow foundations I never had oily t-zone problems. I actually forgot that this was ever a problem for me until I switched to Bourjois H.M. Serum & Bourjois H.M. Powder.

I have been applying these foundations with different brushes, and I find a soft powder brush does the best job, but I am going to try a fluffy powder puff as well (since it will fit inside and is more travel friendly).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Color: I ordered a tone of the $1 samples in order to find a match in this foundation. I ended up getting a full size of the Frisky Abyssinian (which is the #2 in a gentle yellow tone) but later on, I feel like this is too yellow. I have cool toned skin, but my neck and chest are very neutral and pale (yay sunscreen lol). I have found I really like to use this like a setting powder with my big fluffy brush ontop of concealer, which neutralized my facial redness and matches my neck perfectly. As others have noted, the shades run very light, and there are so many tones, and 3 finishes, so I really recommend this foundation to those who are having trouble finding a true match elsewhere.
Notes: #2 Frisky Siamese is too peach and too dark. #1 Sleek Siamese is still too peach, but seems about the same depth as #2 Frisky Abyssinian. When I mix these 2, I get a neutral foundation with the depth I need.

Formula: I like the coverage of the Pampered formula because it is a buildable powder that is so finely milled and looks so natural on. It is not as chalky, heavy, or as drying as EDM, Lucy, or Alima. This is the one mineral foundation I would recommend to people with dry or normal skin, whereas the other mineral foundations I tried were too drying over time and seem better suited for oily skin. There is a real light-diffusing quality which hides imperfections without caking them over. Really a very beautiful finish. I would use concealer underneath this though, if you are looking for perfection. This is similar coverage to MAC Skin finish natural pressed powders, which can be applied very sheer or very opaque, depending on if you wet it and which brush you use.

Longevity: It seems to last about 6-8 hours if applied sheerly. It does not gather oil and become cakey. But it can rub off, even with a primer. Touch ups seem to be necessary if you are going to wear from AM to PM.

Packaging: The packaging is annoying. It looks childish, and it it a loose powder with a sifter. As much as I wish it was pressed, I think that would ruin the powder formula. I wish there was a way to twist and grind into a powder so you don't run the risk of spilling the product all over yourself if trying to re apply while out.

Bottom Line: this is a great product at a great price. I recommend this to anyone, especially if you are just trying to figure out your skin's undertones and move on to other foundations. I would say oily skinned people need to wear a primer with this, however. I will continue to use and re order, although I carry the MAC SFN in my purse for convenience.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 8:21:00 AM More reviews by windy1365

I have been using this foundation for over two years now. It is absolutely the best foundation ever. It goes on smooth and matches absolutely perfect. It lasts all day and looks natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 5:18:00 AM More reviews by pokejen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I am a long time mineral makeup user and I've tried quite a few brands. I was using Everyday Minerals for about 4 years in intensive until they discontinued it and then matte in the shade Sandy Fair and loved it until I realized they had switched the formulation of their product and it was the reason I was breaking out. So I set out to find a new brand and had remembered hearing about Meow on an online forum. I checked it out and loved the few and recognizable ingredients in it so I ordered some samples in the Inquisitive shade range in both Pampered and Flawless. I ended up being a perfect match for Inquisitive Siamese(the lightest neutral) and I liked the Pampered finish over the Flawless. Ordering the samples and testing them out was really easy and the prices weren't that bad but shipping did take awhile. The coverage of pampered is described as "medium layerable" but I'd describe it more as light layerable. I use it over spot concealing and it does a great job of evening out my skin tone. If you have acne like me, this will not cover it alone. As other reviewers have mentioned the more you use the more powdery it looks but a simple fix for that is to mist water over the makeup to set it in place and take away any powdery look it may have. It is a solid, simple, and natural mineral makeup that doesn't break me out which is exactly what I wanted.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by magpies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I've been using this foundation for over three years now. It is absolutely my go-to! The packaging and names are silly rather than glamorous or chic, but that's the only downside. This foundation is a great value, especially if you wait for Meow's (very frequent) sales. "Pampered Puss" does not irritate my skin or clog my pores. I feel like I am wearing nothing when I have it on. It is easy to apply, and the jars are nice and wide which make it easy to swirl your brush.

The finish is matte, which I appreciate, as it allows me to add any blush, highlighter, or eyeshadow I want without getting too shiny. It lasts most of the day on me, even if I don't use any kind of primer or finishing powder. It is on the sheerer side but coverage builds up easily to a medium level. This foundation obscures pores and minor blemishes and discolorations and controls oil without emphasizing any dryness. It works for me in any season and any weather, no matter if I look extra-tired after not sleeping enough or if I'm battling against a hormonal break-out. It's a very natural look. I don't look like I'm wearing foundation, I just look like I have very pretty and even skin.

Selecting a color can be an annoying process. Please be mindful that Meow tends to run very light. It was easy for me because I asked Meow directly, with a photo attached, which shades might be right for me. They were spot-on with their suggestion of Frisky Abyssinian, which is a very light shade of yellow-beige - no orange tones at all!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

I have used PPMF now for a couple of weeks straight, and I'm really enjoying it. I ordered tons of samples from them first, because they have so many colours and the choices are quite overwhelming. In fact there were more than one shade that matched me, finally, and I went for Abyssinian. I need quite a yellow shade because while my face is not that yellow, my neck and chest/body skin tone is. Yellow fdn also helps even out the redness in my face.

So, this foundation then. I normally use liquid Chanel mat lumiere in 02. I tried some other MMU and did not like them (e.g. Jane Iredale), mainly I don't like any shimmer or glow in my foundation. Meow thankfully is matte.

The powder goes on easily, a little goes a long way but if I put on too much it's pretty easy to buff off excess. I apply this with the Jane Iredale flat kabuki brush. On my nose I add a little using a puff, to cover pores better. The finish is very natural. This is not a full coverage powder, not even medium I'd say but rather light. I have uneven skin tone and some redness in my face, and this powder certainly does not cover all of it. But it does even out things so that I look 10x better than without makeup, and it does so while looking like I'm wearing virtually no makeup at all! I prefer this look to a heavily made up one. For a formal occasion where I needed to look perfectly polished, I would not wear this foundation though, I'd go with my Chanel liquid. But this is fine for everyday - including for the office.

The munchkin package is a good size, the price is nice. Samples are cheap, and that's just as well because you absolutely need to try samples first. What's to complain? Well, the colours as other people have said are not very logical; I needed to order a ton of samples to find my shade; the names are frankly silly; and there seems to be a shade missing between "frisky" and "naughty" - in every colour! I had to buy both shades, because frisky alone is a bit too light and naughty alone is too dark.

Finally a word about "purrfect" and "flawless". The latter offers more coverage but I felt it could look at bit chalky too. Purrfect is more transparent. Out of all three, I preferred pampered because it still looks perfectly natural while giving a bit of coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by Nanou2

I love that they have tons of shades to choose from, but in the end I just took a guess because I couldn't decide. A bit too overwhelming but that's my problem.

The shipping took AGES!

The packaging is awesome. The container is nice an big so you can stick your brush in there and get swirly. Also loving the little leopard pouch too.

I bought a couple of the Naughty samples to mix in my pampered puss to get a darker summer colour.

I used to be a big fan of everyday minerals. The price became a bit too expensive for me so I searched for another mineral brand that was more affordable. I found MAD Minerals. The packaging isn't as good but the price was amazing and the product was just as good as Everyday Minerals.

After reading all the rave reviews on MUA I thought I would try Pampered Puss... I'm not too impressed.

The coverage is sheer, not buildable and kinda chalky! I'm pretty disappointed, after reading all the reviews I was sure this was going to trump all other mineral foundation I have tried.

UPDATE- I had to come back and knock the lippies down. This is useless. 0 coverage, doesn't even cover slight redness in my skin. Forget any acne or scaring this is totally sheer. It makes my skin look dry, old and dull. I hate it! Very disappointed, especially after buying the biggest one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 12:49:00 AM More reviews by corviddreams

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried both Flawless Feline and Pampered Puss. FF made me itchy (I suspect that I am sensitive to Boron Nitride), so I settled on the Pampered Puss. After 20+ years of trying to match my odd skin tone, I finally found a foundation that looks natural on me and better yet, doesn't make my skin break out. I do wish that PP was a tad more opaque as I got better coverage with the Flawless Feline, but the product builds up nicely.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 12:44:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a great lightweight foundation that can easily be built as one needed. However, as I need fuller coverage thanks to acne scarring, I passed on this in favor of Flawless Feline. To get the coverage I needed I would end up building this to the point of the color being darker than my neck despite it normally being a perfect match (Slinky Abyssinian). For that much effort I figured I might as well just get the Flawless Feline. I imagine Pampered Puss would be best on those with clearer and not so oily skin, as even with the oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder I was oily in an hour. Despite this, I'll probably buy a Munchkin jar of Pampered Puss for when my skin is behaving and/or is feeling especially dry.

EDIT 5/9/12: With better, natural skin care my face has cleared and is normal now rather than oily. Flawless Feline made me itch and was too heavy so I switched back to Pampered Puss, and couldn't be happier. It lasts all day and is comfortable to wear. I found a perfect match in Slinky Manx.

EDIT 12/09/12: After using Alima's foundation for months I retried Meow and it made me itch like CRAZY. Alima's is much more hypoallergenic, so it's bye-bye Meow for good.