April 17, 2014 | 1696 users online

Treatments - Joico - Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm for thick or coarse hair

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 6:01:00 PM More reviews by whitley0499

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

OMG!!!!! This is the absolute best conditioner I've EVER used. I started giving myself deep conditioning treatments with this. I put a plastic cap on and sit under the dryer for 20 min. What a difference! My hair feels and looks sooooo good!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2011 10:52:00 AM More reviews by annadyl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well I never!!! I left this in for an hour and out no other leave in or staying products in, then left my hair to air dry. Now my hair is ridiculously soft. I actually think it's bordering too moisturised!!!!!!!!
This is the first product that has tamed my hair. If I put 5 litres of lard on it, it would still be a massive bush of straw. So this product is just amazing!!!!
Oh praise be!!!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by QuirkyFashionista

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

A great deep conditioner for my hair, which is very thick, long, coarse, dry and damaged. It really makes a noticeable difference, it leaves my hair nourished and less coarse and dry. My hair tends to get tangled on the verge on dreadlocks, this detangles it effortlessly.

I leave it on for as long as possible, often over-night.

It's a bit hard to rinse out, as it's very heavy even on my hair, which doesn't get weighed-down easily, but it's not a big enough hassle to make me like it less.

The tube packaging is practical, and you don't need a lot of product at a time, which makes it budget-friendly,

Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2011 1:34:00 AM More reviews by buhagiarmalina67

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Heaven in a bottle! its smells so good. very thick and creamy i really love this stuff! It is so soft that when i was rinsing it out it felt like there was still product in there but actually it was just the softness of my hair.It makes my hair very very shiny the next day! wud buy this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by luno

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product fits the bill for price, quantity, quality and results- so it deserves HG status from me!

I have very thick long coarse Eurasian hair recovering from bleaching and thermal rebonding but this product does wonders and now I'm known for great hair- I get at least two compliments a day about my hair now and I'm loving it! I attribute my hair's speedy recovery to this product!

I wash my hair every 2-3 days and use this as a conditioner after any shampoo that I happen to have lying around (I try to keep it low-sulfate or sulfate-free but any shampoo for dry hair seems to produce the same results), I towel dry my hair after and start to work the balm from the ends up. It's very thick, the smell is pleasant and you feel your hair being nourished.

I give it a bit of a blow dry and let it soak in my hair for at least 15 minutes, sometimes I just hang around the house for a couple of hours before washing it out.

When it's finally washed out and blow dried my hair feels amazingly soft and my split ends are deceivingly non-existent! My hair is thick so I'll give it an iron-down after and in the end my hair is left looking like that of a Pantene model.

I precede the treatment with the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor every 2 weeks (don't want protein overload) and I find this helps to heal the damage from before.

Overall I thoroughly recommend this product to everyone. Forget about drugstore conditioners- you get what you pay for when it comes to treatments for heavily damaged hair. But that being said, I've tried Kerastase and whilst it does wonders, Joico delivers pretty much the same results without the excessive price tag.

I got a nice large 250ML tube that will last me awhile (it's thick so you don't need a lot) for around $27 AUD (cheaper in other countries I suspect) at Price Attack but I think it goes on sale occasionally for around 20% off.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2011 9:55:00 PM More reviews by rocketinthesky

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff was okay. Definitely more suited for people with coarse hair. My hair is thick, but not coarse. However, my hair is dry. I left this on for about 20 minutes the first time I used this, but it made my hair very limp and it was greasy the very next day. The next time I used it I left it in for 7 minutes, and my hair was soft and manageable. It still got greasy the next day, though. I'm thinking of trying the one for fine hair, and see how it goes. My hair is relatively short, so that may also be why. I use this after using my Joico Deep Penetrating Reconstructor.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by cwah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best treatments I have come across. The consistency is nice and thick and it feels so luxurious when you put it on your hair. I have very long hair and I put the treatment in twice a week. Each time I leave it in for about 10 mins. I constantly get told I have the nicest hair. I owe all my good fortunes to this treatment.

Btw, I have facial eczema on my eyes and my lips and this does not aggravate my eczema.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2011 5:51:00 PM More reviews by wunverdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was expecting great results from all the posititive reviews on here but sadly this product did not work for me. It has a lovely balm like texture which makes you believe its going to be very hydrating for your hair but after leaving it in for half an hour and blow drying my hair my hair felt dry, sticky and brittle. Whilst this didnt work for me its worth giving a go as it may work on your hair. Different products work for different people. Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 5:24:00 PM More reviews by esissan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG!! Why hadn't I tried this sooner??!! I never knew what a good deep conditioner is supposed to do until I tried this one!!

This product does everything for my hair -- moisturizes, smoothes, shines, and makes it silky for days!!! I think this is my new HG!! Bye-bye Redken Real Control Mask!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2011 4:23:00 AM More reviews by chimmzy

The Moisture Recovery conditioner is absolutely fantastic and my HG of all times.
Unfortunatly, the treatment balm in the same line didn't perform - at all.
It's thick & creamy and really look nurturing squeezed out of the tube, I'll give it that!
But I find it hard to distribute evenly in wet hair without using to much, and once in hair, it really just sits there, it doesn't penetrate the surface and it's really not moisturizing on its own.
I've tried it with heat, whitout heat, leaving it in for various minutes/hours, and the result is just not anything else then I get from a regular conditioner.
The *only* excellent result I've had with this product, is when left in a damp bun over night. In the morning, the outcome is similar to when using the MR conditioner.
That's not the way it's supposed to bu used though, and if I get the same result form 3 minutes with the MR cond, why buy the treatment at all?

It's possible that the formula is just too thick for me, although my hair is really thick as I've got a lot of strands, they're really thin and fine.
That could explain why so many have had excellent results with this product and some none at all.

I won't repurchase, although I might try the lighter version for fine hair.