April 17, 2014 | 1069 users online

Crème - MAC - Studio Tech

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have had this foundation for about a year now, and I must say this works really well as a full coverage foundation. Now, it does clog my pores if I use it too much over a short period of time, but that's another thing. I can moan about bismuth in mineral foundations and powders, but liquid and creme foundations is such an individual thing that I'm not even gonna go there ingredients wise :)

Now, on to what MAC promise us taken from their website: A tri-system blend of water, emollients and powder glides on as a soft, creamy emulsion. Innovative formula provides a full range of coverage, allowing for true-to-skin shading from very light to very dark in a natural matte, powder-perfect finish. Light-diffusing properties soften lines to create a fresh, flawless finish for all skin types.

First of all: All skin types? In my opinion, this definitely works best for oily, combination to normal skin. If you have dry or dehydrated skin, then this will most likely not work for you. I mean, you could slather on a lot of moisturizer and prime till your hearts content, but why do that when you can find a foundation that actually works for your skin type? The reason why this is often a bom buy for those with dry skin types, is because this foundation will cling to dry spots and create a flaky look, which is not glamorous or cute at all. But other than that, this will most likely work for most skin types. However, it is not without effort. At least not on my part...

Firstly, for this to work to is fullest, you need to:
1) moisturize. Not only will it make the foundation glide on smoother, but it will also keep the foundation from clinging to flaky or dry spots.
2) Exfoliate. No matter what skin type you have or foundation you use, exfoliation is a must. But I find that this is especially important when you use this foundation.
3) Prime and set! Use a primer than evens out the skin and makes the studio tech sit. You should also use a finishing powder. Even if Mac promotes this as a full coverage, long wearing foundation, it tend to slide off of nose and forehead if you don't set your t-sone or other parts of your face that naturally secretes oil. I like to use sephoras smoothing primer, but most silicone based primers with evening properties should work. I also use silk naturals perfecting powder, which is the best thing out there for the price. To add some hydration to my face I also like to use a glycerine based finishing spray. It sets the makeup and makes it look more skin like.

And last but not least, do not apply it with the crappy sponge... Like with almost all eyeshadow pallets: throw away the tools that comes with it. Do it! And then buy yourself some nice brushes or the beauty blender. I like to moisten the beauty blender and bounce a small amount on my face and repeat until I have the desired effect. Or I'll buff it in with sigmas round top kabuki. Remember boys and girls, your makeup is only as great as the brushes you use...

So all in all this is a good foundation. I like the way it makes my skin look flawless. It fills in my ice pick acne scaring, and redness? Gone and gone till I remove the stuff. But again, this do not work without priming and setting. So I will not buy it again. Not because it's bad, but because I want to try out something else. MAC is a good brand, but I want to broaden my horizon and try more professional brands out. Like Kett Fixx foundation, Makeup atelier or MUD.

8 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by niiia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this product, it is an okay product - but not something I would buy again personally. The coverage is medium but not very build able as I find it tends to cake if I try to apply another layer however it definitely can be sheered out. It also has a matte finish which is good for because I have oily skin. If you have oily skin like me you will need to set this and blot through out the day. I think this foundation look nice and natural when applied with a flat foundation brush and buffed. I also like it applied with a damp beauty blender but I definitely do not approve of the sponge it came with. My biggest issue with foundation is I hit pan so quickly because there is only 10g of product which actually makes it quite expensive it comparison to other mac foundation with more product at the same price. Overall a good foundation but not a favourite or something I would buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by Lilging13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Used to love this foundation but now that I'm trying not to "tan" I feel like I can't get a good match from MAC. Love their eye products and brushes, any recommendations on an alternative foundation? I really like this product but can't quite get the right color.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by AnnaBanana84

Been using this for years, the best foundation ever! Great coverage, beautifully smooth! Wonderful color. It is expensive and my only complaint is that it runs out quickly when worn daily. I have to re-purchase about every 6 weeks. Otherwise, excellent product! If in doubt, try it!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by RiceBunnyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This MAC product is extremely expensive for what you are getting. I purchased this in Canada, so it retailed for about $40. However, I do really like this cream foundation. It is a buildable cover - from light to medium coverage. I did notice some cake-yness on the days when I forget to use primer, so to avoid the cakeyness, I recommend a good face primer!! I have very dry and sensitive skin, so I was really worried that this would either make my skin even dryer or break me out like crazy. Luckily, I have been using this for about three weeks and my skin is not getting any breakouts nor any dryer, so that's good! One thing I don't like about this is that the foundation does melt off your face if you don't apply a finishing powder. I noticed this the other day when I didn't apply a powder and went to my dance classes, and it rubbed onto my partner's shirt (which was super awkward)! So I don't recommend this foundation for anyone who is super active because it will probably not stay on if you even use a powder because you're gonna be sweating this foundation off!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 3:41:00 PM More reviews by Risajoy

Okay I've never written a review for a product... Ever, and I felt compelled to praise this. I have been using MAC's studio fix foundation for a year, and I loved it at first. I loved the way it looked, rather. But my skin broke out like crazy from this. I loved the finish of it and my face looked great, but I had to look for something new. I tried a few other foundations that were okay but didn't give me the "look" I wanted. The other day I went to MAC and purchased studio sculpt and studio tech in NW20. Wow. Not only am I completely obsessed with studio tech but it was so nice to apply. It doesn't feel heavy on my skin and goes on like Shea butter. So wonderful and I would have never thought this would work for me. It is a dream and my new HG for sure.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by violetnights

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation gives great coverage over discoloration and blemishes while looking natural. It is easy to apply with the included sponge or a brush. However, it has a clay-ish texture that accentuates my acne scars. Yet it covers my active breakouts flawlessly. You win some, you lose some, right? It feels light on my face and doesn't cause any further breakouts. My acne scars are slowly fading with my Nubrilliance microdermabrasion system..if they continue to smooth out I will definitely repurchase this.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Ellety

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lovely application. I used to use the 109 brush with fix+, but I felt that I was beating the brush up and it was shedding all over. So I started using the urban decay optical blurring brush and it is pure perfection.

price is okay, def not a steal.

my color is NC50 which worked wells across my experiences with mac foundations

This gives me a flawless face, matched with the pro long wear concealer. I really like a light-feeling flawless face, but everyone doesn't feel the same.

I always get compliments saying that I have such beautiful skin when I wear this. Which is always the ultimate test if a new makeup product is working. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 10:30:00 AM More reviews by popnote

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love this foundation. I had previously used MAC liquid foundations, but as my skin began drying with age, I started using another "mousse" foundation, and I liked it, but I wanted something with better staying power, so I tried this, and I'm very happy. I live in Florida, and it lasts all day, and my skin feels smooth when it's on. I wear NW20 on my face, but since it is a bit darker than the skin on my neck, I blend it with NW15, and it works great. The design of the compact is great for storing a foundation sponge with the foundation, but be sure to wash the sponge regularly For me, it is worth the $30 even though I use up the product in the container faster than foundations I've used in the past.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:42:00 AM More reviews by smhr

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

NW20, mature dry skin, mostly even skin tone. I don't recommend Studio Tech for oily or acne prone skin types. M.A.C. S.A. should find another foundation for them. This can be a sheer or medium coverage foundation, and how it's applied makes the difference in the coverage. I couldn't give this a high rating for several reasons 1. it isn't much product for the price. 2. this in my normal NW20 color shade made my skin look somewhat ashy. 3. the two compartment compact is a hassle to open, at least it was for me. The complaints about the product drying out is justifiable. Simple solution, don't completely remove the foil overlay, I would say to peel back about 3/4 way and cover with the foil when finished. I'll stick with the M.A.C. Studio Careblend product or Trish McEvoy's Even Skin foundation.