Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 4/4/2013 11:52:00 PM

i cannot use this as a makeup primer. its shocking. for me it was like applying makeup over a thick dry wax.

on 3/31/2013 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I've used this off and on for quite a few years, and I'm a fan. For me, it works best when I'm not wearing a lot of other makeup. It works as sort of a combo moisturizer-primer; I wear it over sunscreen. I use it on days that I only wear concealer and powder or a tinted moisturizer. I find it a little heavy to wear under regular foundation or BB cream. It applies easily and feels lovely. It makes my skin look very smooth and velvety and it makes a great base. You absolutely have to let it set for at least the 2 minutes it recommends. It has a very light, pleasant scent. It's slightly rosy or floral and I like it a lot. It doesn't linger. I do wish the opening of the tube was a tiny bit smaller because I think it's easy to dispense too much. I've bought it more than once already so yes, I'd definitely repurchase. You only need a little so it lasts forever.

on 3/29/2013 5:05:00 AM

I bought this years ago and absolutely loved it. I bought a new one recently and they must have changed the formula because it's gross. My foundation wouldn't sink in at all. I tried with my fingers, a sponge, a brush and beauty blender. I ended up washing my face and starting over without it. I will not repurchase again and will likely just throw this one out. Boo!

on 3/11/2013 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I've tried wearing this under three different types of foundation (2 liquid, 1 powder), using three different application methods (foundation brush, makeup sponge, and fingertips) and got terrible results every time I tried. My makeup has never looked so disgusting and cakey. Still gave this product 2 lippies since you can wear it on its own and it does improve the appearance of skin if you choose to go out with nothing else on. The most you can get away with is a very light application of translucent powder applied with a brush - anything else and this primer will turn your makeup nasty, fast.

Basic skin test : Clean and moisturize top of left hand. Allow 2 min for moisturizer (water based) to dry. Apply nothing to 1st (top) region, The Present to the 2nd, UD Primer Potion to the 3rd and both The Present FOLLOWED by UD to the 4th (bottom). Allow The Present to dry the required 2 min. Apply foundation with 2 fresh sponges to top 2 layers and draw line of UD 24/7 liner on all 4. Smudge pencil and set with powder. Gently wipe with tissue.

Results by layer: 1. Two wipes and goodbye foundation. Liner stays, 2. Despite recommended drying time being given, setting with powder AND it being water based just like the Present, both makeup and liner wipe off/smudge easily. 3. The foundation slides off The Present and the UD Potion has lost it's "sticking power" with the liner. 4. No foundation just liner that DOESN'T budge. So, no The Present doesn't help foundation last, it actually makes it just sit on top of it and easily wiped away. Plus my 24/7 pencil fought placing a line on it, smeared and caked instead of smudging and my UD Potion was rendered useless. Save your money.

on 1/13/2013 2:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I bought this because of the reviews but also because it had more twice the product. It moisturized the skin well but I didn't notice anything that it claims. It didn't hide my pores or made makeup last longer. The product separates from the lavender oil so you have to shake up the tube. The product leaks so its messy. It also feels heavy on the skin as well.

on 12/9/2012 8:49:00 AM

I know this is being touted as a primer, but for me it works more like a very expensive moisturizer. It doesn't make my makeup stay put longer nor does it act as "clear makeup" to lessen redness.

It does feel great on the skin, feels moisturizing, and doesn't make me break out, so there's that. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't do all it claims to do.

on 12/5/2012 5:01:00 PM

Good grief. After all the hype, I thought this would do SOMETHING interesting. Nope. Nothing. Nada. Sigh.

on 11/9/2012 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This primer really makes my makeup stick around all day and all night. I have never had a primer do that. I mainly use a primer for that reason. I don't find that it wills in pores very much (I feel that the L'Oreal studio primer does that the best.) The smells goes away after a few minutes. I do allow this to sit on my face for two minutes before I apply my makeup. I get out of the shower and moisturize my face. Then I apply this primer and while it is sitting for those two minutes I moisturize my body and brush my teeth.

For me this made all types of liquid and cream foundation stay forever. I recently did an all night event for my company and this helped me look fresh all night.

I found that with this primer, revlon colorstay whipped mousse makeup with a stippling brush and skindinavia setting spray...holy crap... flawless all night.

on 9/7/2012 1:31:00 PM

This is a good product when it works. By that I mean, I can apply it the EXACT same way and get different results. It can get white flakes. You only need a tiny amount. I hve crazy, reactive acne-prone and this doesn't cause issues. I use this mostly ontop of SPF or powder.

Popular Primer/ Correctors