Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Hydrating

3.7

Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, PEG/PPG-18/18, Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sucrose Distearate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Phenooxyethanol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Xylitylglucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Anhydroxylitol, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Xylitol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Tripotassium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hyaluronic Acid, Allantoin, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Saccharomyces/Xylinum Black Tea Ferment, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbardensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben. May contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470)

on 3/12/2012 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I feel this primer does a good job of keeping my foundation looking fresh and it helps keep it in place throughout the day. My skin is normal to dry, drier especially on my upper cheeks. I can tell the difference in the way my foundation looks on days when I skip the hydrating primer - my foundation looks heavier and drier on my cheeks by the end of the day. I look more radiant when I wear this. :)
I started using this primer when I received a generous sample in a jar, squeezed from the tester. My sample lasted about 2 weeks, then I splurged for the full-sized tube. Now here is where it gets interesting. I never had a problem with the jar sample being watery, and my initial first day with the primer in the tube was fine. But I heard about the primer getting watery so I shook my brand new tube each time before using it, just to keep it from separating.
First day was fine. Second day was fine but a tiny amount of water came out first. Third day after shaking it had a bit more water come out first. The fourth day I really gave it a whopping shake and it become clumpy/watery! After seeing this mess come out, I gave it a harder shake/rapping against my hand to mix it up...and I immediately made it WORSE. It disintegrated even further! Right before my eyes, the entire bottle was reduced to a slurry of shredded primer and water! Nooooo!!!!
I went back to the store to exchange it for a new one. Since I bought the bad one only four days' prior from her, the SA and I are assuming the new tube she gave me is from the same batch as the bad one.
My theory is the product will break down with shaking and I'm testing this new tube *without shaking* to see how long it will last for me. It's possible the formulation has suspended ingredients and the shock and jarring from rapping and shaking will just further separate the ingredients. I'm on day two and no water yet. I'll update my results within a week. :)
3/31, day 21: no shaking, no watery leakage. Doing well so far! I store the tube upside down on its lid so it's ready to squeeze out. Will update as needed.
4/9, day 30: Still not shaking the tube. No watery leakage.
5/9 - Still storing the tube on its cap, no shaking. No watery leakage. :)
6/1 - No shaking. No watery leakage. But I am starting to run out! lol... continued >>

on 3/9/2012 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I had such high hopes for this, reading the awesome reviews that it gets. I received this in the mail today and it seems like just water. I poured a bit on the back of my hand and it just oozed water. I shook it like a mad woman (I understand that products separate and it might just have done that) and it's still just water. The stuff oozes down my hand, how would I ever use this on my face? Clearly I got a bad one,but this is definitely going back.

on 1/28/2012 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

The best primer I have used thus far, and I have used a lot! Some brands include: Smashbox, Benefit, Mary Kay, Make-Up Forever, Sephora brand, and other ones (all from Sephora!).

Anyhow I was using this in conjunction with LM'S creme smooth foundation, and the foundation was congesting my skin, so I decided not to put it on my skin for a few days and it's going back to normal (I doubt I will be using her foundation again though).

This primer actually adds in a layer of moisture without making your skin look oily. I know that's hard to believe but it really does, and you can see it shrinking your pores! Even though I put this everywhere on my face with Mary Kay's oil-free foundation, my skin still gets a little bit oily but like 6-7 hours later, nothing major, but you can still blot it off. I am going to try and put this everywhere but my forehead and put her oil-free primer there and see how it fares. I did use LM's oil-free primer with LM's oil-free foundation but it just looked horrible (I'm pretty sure that was because of the foundation though). I remember using this hydrating primer first a few years ago after seeing it in my sister's drawer (who used it with MAC make-up) and decided to give it a whirl. I thought it was horrible and too watery, and didn't do anything for my skin. That was because I didn't moisturize properly, and didn't let the primer set it so it balled up when I went to put my foundation on. So people remember, you must moisturize properly, and if possible let your moisturizer sink in for 5 minutes, then apply this, and wait until it feels moist to the touch, and then apply your foundation. When you put it on you might think that it's leaving a white film, but that because you haven't massaged it in enough! After it will feel very wet, but give it a few minutes and it will do it's magic! Oh, while I'm waiting for it to dry, I just put my under-eye concealer on, that works fine as well. I'm running low on it, and I'm probably just going to cut the container and scoop the product out that way because it's rather expensive, but you don't need a lot. Although I've been going a bit crazy on my cheeks, since it adds so much moisture! I was trying to find if this one was oil-free so I went on Sephora's site as well as LM's and it didn't say, but I doubt that it is, it does however say that it's water based, and you will be able to tell. It's waaaay more watery than most moisturizers, this is the opposite as many primers are silicone based and some can be compared to a little thinner than Vaseline in texture. Nonetheless it hasn't made me break-out any more than I do, but I've also only tried putting primer on with my fingers, so I don't know if putting it on with a foundation brush would be better or worse, I'll try and update!

on 1/26/2012 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I had SUCH high hopes for this primer. But I think this is sadly going to be the first product I ever return to Sephora. Shame, too, seeing as my very first experience with LM products has left a bad taste in my mouth. I've only had this for two months, and the ingredients have already separated completely. Absolutely unacceptable to me.
I'm no science expert, but I'm guessing that the compound of witch hazel water and hydrogenated vegetable oil just isn't fusing very well with the other ingredients? And those two ingredients are what I believe is the clear watery substance that POURS out of the tube every time I go to use this primer.
I admit, I purchased this online without asking for a sample and testing it out first. And I have a good reason for that (or, at least I think so lol). My reason is that there just aren't very many primers on the market that are absent of silicone. I'm extremely allergic to silicone, and when I saw that this didn't have it, and that it was HYDRATING (my skin is dry as the Sahara desert), I thought I heard the 'Hallelujah' chorus for a minute there. :) So, needless to say, I jumped on snatching it up.
Within the first few weeks after I bought it, I used it daily and never had a problem. Initially, it was everything I expected it to be. The consistency was smooth, a bit more lotiony than what I'm used to, but I became used to it. It left my face feeling silky and moisturized, NOT greasy. It absorbed into my skin nicely, leaving it looking slightly more radiant and luminous. Felt weightless when applied, not heavy at all, like my MAC Prep + Prime Skin. Although this primer didn't really change the wear-time or increase the longevity of my makeup at all, it DID change how my makeup looked on the skin after a 12-hour workday. My makeup still looked FRESH, never cakey, and never slid around my face like it would have with other primers. Throughout the day, without this primer, my makeup would settle into dry spots, pores, and any crepiness around my eyelid area that I didn't know was there. And, let's just say, I would look a little older than twenty lol. But this worked miracles in that aspect. Also, this did NOT sting in any way. To those reviewers below who said it literally stung their face, it was more than likely an allergic reaction. Now, this primer obviously isn't so moisturizing that you can omit out your facial moisturizer completely. If you have dry skin like me, you still need to apply moisturizer, ladies. :)
But afterwards, I stopped using it for a few weeks, because my skin was finally clearing up, and the dry spots were fading from the medication I was using. I felt it would be safe to go back to my Pond's cream as a makeup base for a while. I just didn't want to use this primer up too quickly, because I was falling in love with it so much lol. Well, I went back to use it one day, only to find this thin watery liquid squirting all over my vanity, and on my shirt. And it wasn't just a little. It didn't matter how vigorously I shook the tube. It would still come out in large amounts, and it would actually take a lot of work to get the actual PRIMER to come out. It made me cringe, as I put a lot of pennies into that wasteful 'water'. Lol. It's practically unusable now, and I'm definitely returning it this week. As for me, I don't care if mine was the only dud out of a THOUSAND tubes. For the price of high end brands, its my belief that NONE of them should have 'bad batches,' 'duds,' whatever. I'm seriously skeptical of trying any more Laura Mercier products, just because of this experience. And I'm certainly not going to exchange this for another tube. I'll simply leave this as being a bad omen with LM primers, just move on and try something new.

on 1/16/2012 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

love the product for my dry, mild eczema skin. it glides on very nicely and locks in my moisturizer underneath very well. it doesnt make me feel oily at all, and it dries to a nice smooth finish. the only bad thing I could really say about this product is the price! I paid $40CAD+tax for this, which could of bought me a new foundation already! D:

on 12/28/2011 6:39:00 AM

I'm on my second tube of this and I still really like it. Some people don't like the smell but I love it. It reminds me a bit of sunscreen which reminds me of summer. This primer helps to keep my cheap Maybelline foundation in place all day. Without it, 80% of the foundation is gone by the afternoon. I would like this even more if it minimised pores too.

on 12/9/2011 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is expensive, but this is the best primer out there for my dry skin. It not only creates that smooth canvas, but lends a luminosity to my skin that I just don't get with other primers. Plus, it is the only primer that doesn't seem to soak my moisturizer out of my face. It really does add another layer of needed moisture. I can wear this under any of my foundations,and the makeup glides on beautifully. The only way this could be better is if it had an SPF. My favorite foundation has inadequate SPF, so I wear a sunscreen (which seems to double as a primer) underneath and skip the LM primer during the day. I only use the LM primer when I go out at night. I'd love to wear this LM primer in the daytime as well, as I love it so much.

on 11/29/2011 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really love this primer but I have had three tubes where the ingredients seperated and became unusable. Things I love about it are goes on smooth without being slick, makes foundation last all day and does not cause my sensitive skin to react. I am not an everyday foundation wearer so do not use primer up quickly. The first tube I bought seperated about 6 months after purchased from Sephora. Watery clear liquid would come out first then white cream would follow. No matter how much I shook the tube or tried to re-mix it just would not reconstitute. Figured this happen because of changing atmsophere/temps since I left it in my bathroom over the summer and had taken it on several trips. Bought a second tube and following the advice of the Sephora sale associate kept it in my refridge. Same thing happened again. Brought it back to Sephora and explained what happened so they gave me a third tube but alas this happened again. In six months I use about a quarter of the tube so it is just not worth the price to keep buying this for the small amount I am able to use before it seperates.

on 11/28/2011 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I don't need a primer, so for me it's a waste of money. But I'm going to review it for those thinking about purchasing this primer.

It's hydrating, and I put it on top of my moisturizer. I'm just finding a use for it now. For me, my usual moisturizer keeps my makeup on just as long as this. I don't have scars, fine lines, or anything like that, so I can't review on how it fills those things. When I'm older, and begin getting wrinkles, I may repurchase this if they still make it by that time.

I have noticed there aren't as many hydrating primers on the market as there are for oily skins. So if you want a decent hydrating primer, this is a good one. But if you don't have issues with lines, scars, or anything, you may not need a primer at all. Luckily, my moisturizer keeps my makeup on all day.

on 8/30/2011 4:25:00 AM

I've tried a lot of primers over the years, mac benefit, clinique etc but this tops them all! My makeup literally does not budge all day. I did a little experiment and makeup stayed perfect when working out at the gym, working in a coffee shop all day and even swimming. Yes it's expensive but it lasts for ages and saves you topping up your makeup all day :)