October 23, 2014 | 1925 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I originally reviewed this on 11/8/12 but had to add some things. First of all, it's very important to read through previous reviews with natural products like this to learn how to use it and what to expect. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone but it's very important to use PLAIN yogurt. No sugars, the less ingredients the better. I don't know if fat content matters or not. If you want it thicker use greek, however, I had the issue of it being very hard to take off once it's dry. I keep trying to remember not to scrunch up my face but that's my reaction when water hits it. You have to let it soak a bit in a warm wet paper towel or washcloth to remove it, or stand under the shower and let it soften. That aside, I used this again 4 months later because I heard about products that have probiotics in them for topical use. Well that's silly, I can just use the yogurt mask. The first few times I tried this, I was in a bad spot with harsh products and overly dried up and messed with skin, so it hurt even worse and it was hard to see results.

This time I had better luck. I'll give some background: I break out to everything so my routine is simple so I can keep track of what's going on. I'm also trying SUPER had to not pick at my face because some of those picked areas end up getting infected and irritated and looking far worse than a few blackheads or even a few pimples. So this time I did half plain greek yogurt mask on one side of my face and on the other side I did the yogurt mixed with a few drops of jojoba oil. (I don't have a lot of luck when I use pure oil all over, I have to mix it or use it as a spot treament only) I have some dry patches from some previous acne areas and the treatments over dry the whole area. The yogurt usually dries white but it depends what you add to it. For example, the side with the oil dried clear, even though it was thick and white when I put it on. My face did feel softer after I rinsed it off and the dry patches weren't worse, maybe better but it's not a miracle cure so don't get too excited. However I'm not ashy or itchy after removing it like I was before when my face was a wreck. One thing I really noticed was that my nose seemed to be covered in blackheads that were ready to be extracted, which could be a good thing, but I didn't want to go down that route. So I just put on some mud mask to pull them out and followed with a toner that I added a bit of Tea Tree too to dry them out and close it up. I am much happier with this whole process now that I know what to expect, and I also prefer to do it right before the shower so I don't have any stray bits of yogurt on the edges of my face.

However, after all that, I found I just don't *do* it. It just hurts too much as it dries on my sensitive skin... I tried to find ways to make it work but I just end up doing other things than this mask. I believe in the benefits of it, I just found it didn't do enough for me to justify the adverse reactions I was having (below).

Oh and it can smell quite a bit so be ready for that.

Below are my first reveiws of this product from November:

I used 0% fat because that's what I had for eating and I added a bit of honey. As it dried it got really itchy, to the point where I'm still scratching my jawline (It's ALWAYS there that I react/itch!). It was also hard to wash off because it got SO hard. I think it could be the honey, so I'm going to try one last time without and hope it's better. I do feel softer, which is great, but I have so much acne still it's hard to really see what it can do. I will update/change the numbers if I feel it's better. I really hope it's the honey that's an issue because the softness is nice.

UPDATE: So I tried again with oatmeal and it was less itchy, but it still hurts to take off because it gets so dry and when I wet my face I scrunch up and feel it pulling and cracking. But it does still make me slightly itchy after so even though it's softening and natural, I probably won't be doing it so much if ever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 2:27:00 AM More reviews by chimaerakaren

I have really sensitive skin. I never even gave masks much thought, because my skin is that sensitive. For years, my skin care regimen consisted endless rotation of hypoallergenic, fragrance free chemical products like Cetaphil but my skin never felt nourished. And, even though I was using all these "safe" products, I'd break out in strange rashes and atypical acne, not fun. I gave up and went with olive oil soap and water for a while and finally started looking for more natural solutions last year. My face loves plain, organic yogurt masks. Every week or so, when I remember, I put some cool yogurt on my face for twenty minutes or so until it dries. The day after, my face feels so soft, pores smaller and looks bright and happy. Love.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by amybar1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the worst thing I ever did for my skin was trying out yogurt mask. I tried first some fat-free yogurt, applying on my face as a mask, sometimes adding oatmeal and leaving it for 30 mn. The first day nothing happened, but the second I had quite a bad breakout, 4 new big pimples. I didn't blamed on the yogurt first, since the day before I had tried for the first time a BB cream by Clinique.
I tried it again few days after, with a probiotic yogurt, and the morning after my skin was in the worst state it had ever been. I counted 5 more carmin-red pimples ! I have quite an acne-prone skin, but I rarely break out, except for that time of the month, my main problem is some dry and red areas on my face and some acne scars on my cheeks. Especially the yogurt made me break out on areas where I never have acne, so I doubt it was purging.
So that's great, I just ruined my skin in 4 days, it's been 2 weeks now the pimples are still there.
Just be careful before trying out something, maybe do a test on a small area before. I really wanted this to work for me, especially after the great reviews, but not every product works for everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 1:44:00 AM More reviews by asha890

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the best mask for me.. lightens my acne scars in just few days.. can see difference in my skin texture after using yogurt.. plus its so cheap and no harm trying cause it doesnt cause any break outs whats so ever. skin feeling so radiant and i assure u guys can see a difference after only 1 use..im using non fat yogurt..

dont waste ur money on masks that never actually works! just buy yogurt and put it on ur face! leave it for 10-30mins morning and before sleep.. and u will love the effect on ur skin :D

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by strawberrymelons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Due to the cold weather my face has gotten really itchy and dry with little allergy-like-bumps in certain areas. I tried the yogurt mask and it felt really nice upon application but 5 minutes later my skin started to have a burning feeling and I barely ever react to anything. After I washed off the mask my cheeks were really itchy and I had to put my oatmeal calming crème to reduce the itchiness. I really wanted this to work but I don't think I'll be using it on my face anymore :(.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by XxPRINCESSAxX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

** I used Kirkland brand Original Greek Yogurt (full fat) **

If I notice the yogurt has separated, I try to use the thicker part of it that doesn't have too much liquid.

After grating about half an aspirin into a small dish using a spice grater, I add the thick yogurt and mix well, then apply all over my face.

I've only done this a couple times and left it on for about 30-40 mins, and it wasn't fully dry. I'd like to try leaving it on longer when I have more time.

I haven't noticed any brightening or lightening of spots, BUT what I did notice was:

> almost all blackheads from my nose were completely dissolved (amazing!)
> smooth, soft, silky skin. unlike the results of any other product I've used

In conclusion I will continue to use this product once in a while, but I don't see myself regularly doing this despite the cheapness and easy availability. I will update if I try other variations (lemon, honey)

** UPDATE **
Just wanted to add that to make removal easier, I use a good quality paper towel -- the kind you can wring out and re-use without it tearing. This way you can remove the mask without damage to your skin (my paper towel was extremely soft when wet), and don't damage one of your regular face/washcloths by getting yogurt into it! I simply soak the paper towel with warm water and wring it out mostly, then wipe off some of the mask. Rinse, wring and repeat until mask is fully removed, then I do a full rinse. Always remember to wipe the mask GENTLY off of your face and never rub.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 8:44:00 AM More reviews by salina1

I've been applying yogurt with lemon for over a year now, and i can say it really does help clean and exfoliate your skin. You cant just do this once and expect to see major results. I apply this face mask at least 2 times a week and my skin stays clean and fresh.. its cheap and easy to make.. If your looking for an effective remedy that actually works in cleaning your skin try this!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by linuxgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this even more than my Montagne Jeuneusse masks. I use low fat probiotic yogurt, and strain it with a coffee filter and dab with a paper towel to get it to a thicker consistency that stays put. I add a dollop of honey for moisture and let it do its work for 20 minutes or so before I shower.

My skin before this mask was perpetually flaky, no matter what I did to exfoliate or moisturize. I also have some facial seborrhoic dermatitis that causes rawness and redness in my nasal and labial folds. Both conditions have improved remarkably. I think it's due to a combination of the AHA's in yogurt, and the probiotic/anti-bad-biotic properties of the yogurt and honey going to work on the seb derm.

Give yogurt a try if you really want to know what it's like to be glowing. The silky smooth feeling of your skin afterward just really can't be beat, and makeup goes on so much smoother.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2013 1:47:00 PM More reviews by auiyee

I heard of using yogurt as a facial mask through a couple of youtubers who swear by it. The first time I used it, I didn't give it enough time to work its magic. Furthermore, I used it when my pores were so congested with gunk. So I decided a new tack.

A week after a facial and using a salicylic acid peel, I started using yogurt every other day. And man, oh man, IT WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER!!

A month after, my pores aren't as congested as they used to be. I do not have as much breakouts around that time of the month. I usually have six or more pimples and cysts lounging around my face. But now, I only have one cyst on my nose that has been there since forever and two small pimples. Plus, my any hyperpigmentations have lightened and my skin feels so soft!

I have gotten compliments from people about how bright and glowing my skin looks. I feel much more confident. Yogurt is definitely a wonderful adjunct therapy to all the other products I use on my face.

I use the Fage one --- full fat and plain.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 2:27:00 AM More reviews by kalneshia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Hi everyone, so i have oily skin, i only break out when im stressed or my hormones are unbalanced mess. But now i realised after a series of antibiotics for about 10 months ,i have destroyed my healthy gut and upset my hormones and hence i am breaking out. I have heard many tails of using yogurt has a mask so i did a little research ( i done use anything without research) and i must say i am quite impresses. Yogurt contains many vitamins and a AHA which is called Lactic acid, Lactic acid has many benefits for the skin, it mainly exfoliates your skin, slouging off all the dead skin on the superfiscal layer of our skin and thus revealing the softer skin underneath, when you remove the dead skin you are allowing your skin to not get clogged has rapidly has it would if you had not removed it. so the likehood of a breakout decreases. But bear this in mind, ANY ANY method of rapid exfoilation on the skin, ( especially if you have acne prone skin or skin that is actively breaking out due to other bodily issues etc ) you will have a purging pharse of breakouts, because we have several layers in our skins sturture, you are removing a layer at a time, so if you have underlaying pimples in those layers , it is going to reveal itself after exfoliation...you get my point for the reason for the purging. Purging is good people, its a good thing, because it means you are rapidly cleaning your skin removing the pimples in the various layers.

so my point......wait for the yogurt to work..it can take a few weeks to a few months to see results...but in time you will see the benefits of using a yogurt mask..

I do a mini spa face treat for my skin 3 times a week.

How to do a mini face spa treat: well i like to start off wasking my face with a normal cleanser (i use garnier pure active gel cleanser) and thereafter i exfoilate with my Nimue Exfoliating gel which is fab has it prepares my skin for the penetration of the yogurt , and then once i have done that , i apply the yogurt ( organic low fat yogurt ) directly onto my dry skin and leave it on for 15 min or more, once im done with that i then wash it off and dry my skin again and because my skin nicely exfoliated i then out some raw honey on last to be a antibacterial agent to my new softer exposed skin, killing bacteria

i have been doing this routine 3 times a week and it works...my breakouts are reducing in size and frequency...its been 7 weeks and it looking better

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No