December 20, 2014 | 1479 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Lipstick

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 3:27:00 AM More reviews by FabianaFarrow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

For some reason I haven't worn my Mac "Retro" in months, silly me -- & thus what a happy rediscovery tonight when I decided on mere whim to pull it out and apply it again! A lovely Reviewer below notes that this superb colour looks fabulous on warm-toned fair skin -- and I can now add with happy passion that cool &/or neutral--toned fair white skin looks stunningly beautiful paired with "Retro", too! // Oddly, Mac describes this colour as a "muted, peachy-pinky brown", yet that's NOT how it comes to life on the lips, so don't let that description throw you. The 2 photos on this page present 2 very different ideas of this lipstick's colour: & while the smiling, parted lips look somewhat close to this magnificent lipstick's reality (at least on my monitor); the Uber Red-red closed lips of Photo #2, while also striking, are nothing like the "Retro" of my experience & that of friends'. Then IS "Retro" a red? Well, yes: but as it also truly is 1 of the rare "MLBB" colours, the red in this very special lipstick is much closer to the actual red in naturally lovely young lips than it is to the painted colour found in the obviously reddened lips of artifice -- even striking artifice! (I.e., I love a great bold red lipstick as much as anyone else who loves classically rouged lips: it's just that "Retro" is not one of those, despite its distance from the Mac description, too.) // Finally: ever notice how the truly great, accurately-named "MLBB" lip colours are indeed so truly rare? Well, this marvel of a "Retro" is a hands-down member of that rarified class, making it worth its weight in Restylane. This is 1 heck of a seasonless & ageless, all-out elegant "MLBB" colour, somehow managing to look natural yet knowing: and above all: it instantly brings freshness, youth, bloom & energy to your face. "When a woman feels beautiful is when she actually becomes beautiful" goes the timeless truth: & sure enough, "Retro" does so much for one's entire face and makes one feel so immediately beautiful, this unique colour does in fact result in that trademark sparkle to the eyes & delighted smile to the lips which are part & parcel of the universal, irresistible "beautiful woman" glow. // Thus for all you PPPs out there -- and surely for other complexions as well -- do yourself a joyous favor and don't pass this timeless "Retro" up! You will love it, and wear it, the rest of your life.

12 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2009 7:37:00 AM More reviews by VictoriaHat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the best color I've ever worn. For reference, I'm LM Warm Ivory. If you have fair, warm skin, this color rocks! If you have any green in your eyes, this color willl bring it out. I have to pat this color on with my fingers or apply with a brush because it's concentrated, but the combo of peach, red and brown really lights up my face like nothing else. I also wear this with balm as the Satin formula, while long lasting, is a little drying.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2009 2:25:00 AM More reviews by leiakrystine

I was first attracted to this lippie because it appeared red in the picture, but when I applied it on my slightly pigmented lips- it transformed into an elegant berry-rose color. Retro is really a beautiful color and compliments my olive skin tone nicely.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 3:31:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love this satin warm red lipstick. The only other red family I wear on my lips are sheer berry colors. Works for day and night. It flatters my NC35-45 tan skin tone. As I get older, my lip color choices get lighter. This color has worked for me for many years. My mother in law looks good in this also and she is very light skin with cool undertones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2009 9:31:00 AM More reviews by CuriosityWasMerciless

This is a universally flattering color. Its MLBB for me - and I love the satin formula. I prefer to use this over a coat of lipbalm because without out it, it looks too dark and brown. Perfect choice if you want to experiment with reddish lips at work without worrying if you look like a clown.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2008 10:09:00 PM More reviews by MissChocoholic

I love this color and texture - it's very long lasting and very professional looking. At the same time, it's great for an evening look. It has just the right amount of red-brown and very wearable IMO. For reference, I have moderately fair Asian skintone - an NW25. This color also looks amazing with black-rimmed glasses...very sophisticated looking and great for interviews. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2008 2:59:00 PM More reviews by HellzBelleMichelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the right red for me. I am Asian with olive skin and the red lipsticks that have blue in them always turn very pink fuchsia on me. Retro has some brown in it and is more of a warmer but neutral red. I am always on the lookout for more red lipsticks but I find myself coming back to Retro a lot. I also like to pair it over MAC's lip pencil in Plum.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2008 7:52:00 PM More reviews by brideie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my red lipstick. It is more subtle and flattering than Russian Red, Chili or Ruby Woo on me.
Retro has a smooth texture with good pigment coverage. It is neither too dry or too slick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2008 6:53:00 PM More reviews by LaciP504

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

One of my mac purchases today. I had gone in intending to purchase Chili (which I still want btw for a bolder lip) and swatched retro. Retro is a beautiful warm red, darker and more sedate than Chili. I'm not sure of the official shade description from mac but those aren't always accurate descriptions anyway. It's straight up red on me, no pink, no coral, etc. I'd probably go w/ brick red if I had to narrow it down to the exact tone I have pigmented lips and golden skintone. MAC C3 in studiofix powder, 1.5 (shell) in Chanel T.I.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2007 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Aji05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love the coral cheeks and coral lips look (think Rhianna), so when i found this colour i was quite happy. I had previously been using Nars Taos blush with Stila Jo for my peachy/coral look but the lipstick was a bit pink. This MAC lipstick is definitely a better alternative. I have only used it a couple of times and so far, its ok. I'm a NC45.