Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 2/15/2015 3:15:00 PM

Coconut oil is a must in my house. I pink up a huge tub of it for $20.00 at Costco monthly. I use it for moisturizing hair masks, oil pulling, my face and for cooking. The best feeling after a long day is rubbing this all over your face and putting a hot towel on top. My skin feels and looks great after use. To me this is not a fad and is something I will always have in my house.

on 2/12/2015 12:37:00 PM

I use coconut oil for everything! I put it in my hair sometimes, use it on my teeth, on my skin as a moisturizer, and daily on my lips to keep them (or repair) from being chapped. Not to mention all the health benefits of actually eating it. Look it up and give it a try. You can't get anything better than organic imo. A friend of mine makes all kinds of 100% natural face masques, lip glosses, soaps and other beauty products with coconut oil being the main ingredient. Love it!

on 2/7/2015 4:51:00 PM

Coconut oil is a staple in my household since it's not only good for cooking, but also for beauty related purposes. This stuff is the only thing that can get mascara off of my lashes at night and is wonderful for makeup removal. At first, I was worried that it would break me out since I have very acne prone skin and since I've started using it I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in my skin. However, I would never leave coconut oil on my face and I always try to wash it off with warm water. Although, I think that it's a great moisturiser for after I shave my legs and it gets rid of razor burn pretty well. With all of this being said, why I love coconut oil is because of what it does to my hair. I start by melting 1.5 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave and comb it through dry hair not forgetting the scalp ( I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who has naturally oily hair, but since my hair is really dry it works fine). I leave it on for at least an hour and hop in the shower and wash it with shampoo 2-3 times and use only a light conditioner if you really need it. Coconut oil is a God send for dry hair like mine and feels very luxurious after a week of being busy and using heat on my hair. It makes my hair shiny and soft and it makes my hair look like the gorgeous hair shown in hair commercials. Also, I swear that it has made my hair grow faster and stronger. On a side note, I also use this on my dog that is a pomeranian with black skin disease which basically makes all of his hair fall out and his skin turn really dark. I've been putting coconut oil on him 2-3 times a week and I've noticed that his skin is getting pinker and he's even growing tufts of hair. I've tried everything for my dog and since it's winter it gets very cold and he has to wear little coats to keep him warm in the freezing weather. Fingers crossed that this works for him!

Ps. I use coconut oil on my hair once a week

on 2/2/2015 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Ive gotten some whiney PMs about how I should give C.O a 1 lippie if I can't use it as a cleanser.......please don't pm me. I don't care enough to reply so im just putting this as a note so any other creeps won't bother.

I've gotten a few questions about this so I'm going to write a review. Hopefully this helps steer a few of you in the right nerdy direction.

I'm not alone when I say I personally break out like hell on earth if I use any form of coconut oil near my face. Unfortunately I bought this to try it out as a make up remover and despite washing my face afterwards, it still found a way to clog my crater pores. Luckily there are plenty of other beauty uses. I now use this for my hair. Today I will be explaining the importance of coconut oil as a haircare staple.

The molecules of coconut oil are one of the very few that are small to penetrate hair, vs coat it. There is a myth going around haircare forums that coconut oil has protein in it and that's why it makes such a good deep conditioning mask for hair. That's simply not true, and you would be able to determine this from taking one look at the nutritional label.

Fortunately, there is a scientific backing for using coconut oil as a "protein mask". When coconut oil is put on hair it absorbs (again...penetrates the hair shaft). The polarity of coconut oil causes it to have an affinity for protein that's already in your hair. It bonds with the protein for as long as you have residue of the oil in your hair. Thus, this makes it harder for your hair to lose protein when you go to heat style or bleach it (any type of damage, really).

It is easier to preserve your hair's natural protein with this than it is to rebuild the protein bonds. I'm a big believer of "damaged hair is better than no hair" when most haircare gurus will advise you cut off the damage. And while you can really not undo damage, and it is smarter to just prevent it, coconut oil does help savage whatever health your hair has left. It'll prevent further damage.

A few have complained that coconut oil will make your hair "crunchy". Trust me, I've been there personally so I know what that's like. And it's frustrating when coconut oil leaves your hair feeling like hard plastic, yet leaves other with locks of silk. IF COCONUT OIL IS LEAVING YOUR HAIR CRUNCHY, there are two common reasons.

1. You're using unrefined coconut oil. I personally *do* prefer unrefined coconut oil as it is as close to the natural chemical composition that you can get. HOWEVER at room temperature it typically hardens up into a layer of fat-like substance. If your hair gets crunchy while wearing this, does not mean your hair doesn't like coconut oil, it just means that the coconut oil has cooled down back to a non-melted state.

2. If you're using refined coconut oil and dealing with crunchiness texture - consider if your hair is porous or not. Your hair might be too healthy, protein dense, and non-porous. Thus it is harder for the oil to seep in. This is actually a good thing so don't fret. Apply the coconut oil and wash it out. Just because hair is healthy doesn't mean you should avoid coconut oil (remember...the goal here is to *prevent* damage before it happens).

One amazing method for coconut oil is if you lighten your hair, apply a layer of this before hand. It helps the hair lightening product apply a lot more evenly, smoothly, and easier through the hair. I have been able to cut back on product purchases with this method because I need a lot less bleach to spread around. Additionally, again - it helps prevent damage by bonding a protective layer around the hair's natural protein. Note: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE ONLY DEPOSITING COLOR. Some pros are able to do so with no problem - however - I would not risk it. There's a chance you could have the dye not take due to the layers around the hair's protein. Bleach can eat through almost everything...pigment deposition is a lot gentler. You're better off using a protein filler before coloring.

Last but not least - I always wash my face immediately after using coconut oil on my hair as it really does not play nicely with my skin.

on 1/31/2015 7:56:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It doesn't really matter what brand you buy, chemists and supermarkets stock a variety. Anyway, it seems coconut oil is useful for a huge range of things and for me that was the bumps of my thighs and bottom. Not sure if it classified as keratosis pilaris but they were unsightly and made me self conscious wearing dresses and shorts. I've been using coconut oil on them around twice a week and they've cleared up. I've used lotions with acids in them in a bid to dissolve them but I think my skin just needed some moisture and whatever else coconut oil contains. Give it a try, it works.

on 1/7/2015 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The BEST stuff ever for dry damaged hair. I bleach my hair and it is SO damaged. I only wash my hair a few times a week so whenever I am going to wash it the next day I put this on my dry hair before bed and then when I wake up shampoo and condition. My hair feels soo soft and actually holds a style. I can't believe I didn't know about this before. It's made such a difference in the texture of my hair. I also use this to remove my waterproof makeup and it works amazing for that as well. I will never be without this again!

on 1/3/2015 10:30:00 PM

So I've been off-again, on-again with EVCO. I like the moisturizing properties, I like the all-natural, totally-good for you simplicity of the product....but I don't like heavy oils on my skin. My skin isn't extremely dry, so oils usually don't absorb on me very quickly, leaving me (and everything I come in contact with) very greasy, even when I use sparingly. So, first I tried making mini EVCO "bars". I poured melted CO into muffin tins, then put them in the fridge. After my shower, I would rub a bar on my skin. This made it a little more convenient than getting oil everywhere, but the bar would still collapse to a melted mess in my fingers and I wasn't too thrilled about storing a half-melted mess like that in the fridge.

Enter Google searches! I learned that CO can be "whipped", to a texture like body butter. I didn't have a nice, fancy Kitchen Aid mixer, I decided to use some "elbow grease" and whip it by hand with a whisk. Yes, ladies, it can be done. And it wasn't hours of grueling labor, for me it was minutes. I had a nice, fluffy, white batch of EVCO "butter" that I poured into empty containers and cooled in the fridge. After a few minutes, I took it out and it looked and felt exactly like a body butter! Now I can dip a finger in and apply a small amount without becoming a greaseball! So psyched. My next quest will be making this with 92 degree CO. Maybe the melting won't be such a problem with that. But either way, whipped CO is the only way to go for me!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a HG product for me! I have thick, curly hair thats fine, but I have a lot of it. My hair gets greasy and overloaded with product very easily. I've tried olive oil in the past, but that left my hair greasy, was impossible to wash out and did not make that much of a difference. I later went on tot ry coconut oil. I was having the same problems the first few times I tried to use it as a treatment, the same issues I had with olive oil but not as severe. Eventually I got the hang of it. I blow-dry and straighten my hair 3 times a week and very other day I wash it and blow dry again. What I do now is, the night before a wash and blow-dry I put a bit of coconut oil on my fingertips, about a dime-sized amount. I flip my head over and distribute the coconut oil through the length of my hair, focusing on my ends. I then put a small amount of coconut oil on my fingertips and I massage it onto my scalp. I then comb it all through with a wide-tooth comb and I put my hair in a bun for the night. I wake up, shampoo my hair twice very throughly, condition it, get out of the shower, blow dry, and VOILA! My hair looks amazing! At the high end salon that I go to, I usually get a deep conditioning treatment that costs about $20 to get it done. The coconut oil does just what the deep conditioning treatment does! Once my hair is blow-dried, it looks like it does in the salon, so silky and soft! Its a HG product for my frizzy, thick curly hair! I also massage a teeny-tiny bit of coconut oil into my ends every night before I go to bed in order to keep them moisturized and healthy!

I also use this as a makeup remover and when my skin gets very dry and/or chapped! I love it! This is an amazing product and all natural! I would recommend this to anyone!

on 12/17/2014 9:15:00 AM

Great as makeup remover and hair treatment

on 12/16/2014 4:59:00 PM

I agree with the other reviewers that coconut oil works great as an eye makeup remover. It seems to be great for conditioning the lashes as well. That's basically what I use it for. I transfer a small amount out of the large jar into a smaller container for use. I scoop a little bit out, let it melt in the palm of my hand, then pick it up with a cotton ball and wipe my eyelids to remove my eye makeup. One thing to watch out for, after time had passed, my smaller container was moldy! I didn't know coconut oil could get moldy! Other than that, it's great!