Kanebo kate mascara base

4.4

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Definitely my HG mascara base/primer. LOVE this stuff!
As stated by others, be careful to apply mainly to the tips, and not close to the base (I've had a few days where those fibers poke into my eye). I didn't like the shiseido base as it was hard to cover (could still see the gray) and it made my lashes stiff, which I hate.
I've never had any trouble covering this base, as all mascaras I've tried over have gone on smoothly and covered the white well. It holds the curl well as yes, I'm asian and one of my eyes' lashes are always straight although the other curls on its own.
I always get compliments and get asked if wearing falsies (my lashes are fairly long on their own).
I use an oil-based remover (by Sonia Kashuk) and don't have any trouble removing this. I realize this may be a problem for faces with an oilier complexion as mine tends to be dry.
I usually stockpile on this stuff through eBay as it's not available in the states. But it's still way cheaper than some HE bases and I look for someone who offers free shipping.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

MY HG MASCARA BASE!!!
I don't exactly have short straight Asian lashes as I'm only half-Asian but in no way are my lashes long and lush like the average Caucasian.

But...as soon as I put on my Kate Mascara Base and a good mascara- I have people asking me what false eyelashes I'm wearing! The wondrous fibrelicious powers of this base can make an average mascara seem amazing and an amazing mascara heavenly. As I don't have that much cash to throw around, I'll usually pair this mascara with one of Majolica Majorca's comb mascaras which I LOVE.

The trick is to build up the fibres from the ends after increasing the volume between your lashes, don't pile it on too heavily at the base of your lashes otherwise the fibres will get stuck in your eyes and you'll be annoyed all day and in pain and unapproachable. But really once you get the hang of the application you'll be wondering how you ever lived without it and stockpiling it (if you're not located in a place where it's readily available).

I'll be wearing a mascara with this base all night long and being naughty and not washing off my eye-makeup and it'll still hold the curl and length! I've even done a very unhygienic and crazy experiment of leaving my based-up mascara on for 3 days and they were still standing to attention and curly! This stuff is amazing and all my friends use it and love it because of my raves.

I really don't get all these whiny reviews about a perfectly amazing product! If you're having difficulties removing the stuff then instead of bashing the product which is doing its job of prolonging the curl of your lashes and making them beautiful, why don't you re-evaluate your cleansing routine and products!?

I know it's a bit of a pain to get out but a good cleansing oil will take the stuff right off in seconds and believe me I am heavy handed with my waterproof mascara and bases. I recommend Shiseido's TISS deep off oil and Kose Softymo's cleansing oils followed by a foaming cleanser but any average cleansing oil should do. If it's pulling at your lashes then invest in a lash care essence such as MAVALA double lash or Canmake's Lash Care Essence which are both very inexpensive and as I re-iterated- embrace the cleansing oil! A gentle rub of oil on the lashes shouldn't take out your lashes, don't get me wrong I'll see one or two fall out occasionally but who doesn't!?

The only justified complaint about this product are the fibres irritating your eyes which I get too (rarely but it does occur) and it's particularly annoying if you're wearing lenses. In that case I try to be more careful with my application and just relax in the fact that my lashes look great!

So yes overall HG HG HG HG! Try it! If you don't like it, try my advice! If you don't like it after that then let me know any alternatives to this base because if you can find something better I want it too!

Got this mascara base after I read about it on a forum. It isn't too bad but doesn't hold a curl as well as Shiseido's nourishing mascara base. I use this after Shiseido's base on only the ends of the lashes. The fibers of this base sticks to the Shiseido one and make my lashes appear even longer. With the right eyelash curler pad (eyelash curler pads on eyelash curler makes a big difference to the curl achieved) and right mascara , my lashes sometimes are so curled and lengthen they practically nearly touch the brow bone of my eyes, and I'm Asian (I don't have very long lashes, but good lash curler pad+ Shieseido base + kate base + good mascara makes this happen) !

Kate mascara base is so hard to get off that it's not even worth putting it on! It's not only time consuming, but also bad for my eyelashes to keep rubbing them.... won't purchase again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I purchased this base after reading the reviews from this site. I have sensitive eyes with lashes that are thin but not too short. My lashes fall out all too easily so that when I use harsh products on may lashes & they start to begin looking sparse :( Anyway... this product was packaged really well & I was quite happy when I applied it. The wand felt great to use and the product lengthened and thickened my lashes. However it did create some clumps which I had to comb out. I wore it all day and when I tried to remove it it would not come off totally after 15mins of washing my eyes. In fact there is some remaining still on my eyes as we speak. I guess that means that the staying power is very good, BUT on my lashes it is very hard to remove & also stings my eyes a little bit. I will not use again as I cannot afford to lose lashes from trying to remove stubborn products. Anyway I will stick to my other favoured lash primers.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

oh my goodness this base is so good!! ive never really worn a mascara base after i got annoyed by loreals double ended mascaras, the white just seemed to go everywhere and didnt do enough to my lashes.
but this is seriously lengthening, and ive found it even gives my lashes volume. ok granted there is some extra work and care involved, i had to get an eyelash/brow comb because the base tends to clump together and because the base is an offwhite, you need to make sure its properly covered up by lashings of black mascara and comb through after to make sure it doesnt look too spidery. and it makes my stickstraight asian lashes curl up!! (as i dont like using eyelash curlers) so it kinda improves the look of my lashes all round! oh and it takes a little effort and care to get off but a good remover shouldnt have any problems. id completely recommend this!!! i got mine off ebay for tuppence :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

It creates a thick film over my lashes n thickens them. Yet I feel they are very heavy and will clot easily. have to spend extra time to separate my lash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I used the Shiseido Base for 2 years. It works very well, but lately I felt that it wasn't working as well? Maybe I was just wanting to try something different, but I really wasn't happy with the price. And my Sephora stopped selling it, so I was on the look out for something cheaper and better and easier to get.

Well, I got 2 out of 3. I can only buy this on sasa.com or ebay. But the price is about half even with the shipping.

I bought 3 tubes having never tried this because I didn't want to buy it and realize that I LOVED it and not having back-ups at ready.

Well, it worked out great. Got mine from a wonderful seller in HK and Kate did not disappoint.

There are millions of little fibers in it and really hold my curl well. Any mascara I out of top of it works. I will never buy Shiseido again.

I tried the Clinique base while I was waiting for this and it really sucked...completely dropped my lashes.

Try Kate, it is cheaper and better and even the packaging is prettier!

I remove it Kose cleansing oil and I have no problems taking it off.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love this mascara base. I got it for about 11 bucks on E-bay.
My lashes are not short but they arent long either. And they are on the thin side.
This base has a lot of fibers in a gel type texture. Ande when I use the base the fibers add lenth and the gel thickens. I have to be careful when applying because too much can cause clumps but that is the only issue I have. But I dont consider that a big deal compared to the lush, glam lashes that I get from using this base.

I have the one in the long rectangular shape with the dark grey/black lid. - got this from ebay for around 20ish.
(Think SASA is selling the cylinder shaped one for 10AU!! at the moment)
This is a great replacement for those who do not want to fork out 50AU to get the godsend Shiseido mascara base!

I have pretty long lashes for an asian, but they are quite thin, stick straight, do not hold a curl with an eyelash curler + mascara with no primer.

For me atm, I use the Shu eyelash curler + Kate primer + Max factor masterpiece max mascara.

Get this: like the shiseido one, if I don't curl my lashes properly, the kate one will NOT hold the curl, if I use a heavy mascara e.g. lancome hypnose or diorshow, after I apply the primer, my lashes WILL droop.

So what I have found works for me is: use a really good eyelash curler to curl your lashes PROPERLY, then apply primer to both eyes, then use a light weight mascara (THEN once it's semi dried, you can apply the thick mascara over it if you want to)!

The results are really good, even though the process takes along time

Popular Mascaras