Clairol Herbal Essences - Color Me Happy

3.6

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 33, Red 4, Yellow 10. (2011 formulation)

I have a few patches of bleached hair that I've been dying pinks and purples and was getting tired of dying every two weeks and was looking for something to make the color last longer. Enter color me happy. It had great reviews and was cheap! Long story short it turned the bleached parts of my otherwise extremely healthy hair to straw. It did keep it pink longer but it's nearly impossible to brush without it breaking. It may be good for natural colors or unbleached hair but I for one am going back to loreal everpure. Maybe it's the sulfates that wreaked havoc on my hair all I know is I'm covered in coconut oil hoping it'll come back!

on 10/22/2012 4:33:00 PM

I love the smell of this shampoo and it performs quite well on my heavily dyed hair (black --> light brown). My hair always looks shiny even using it on its own! I recommend leaving it in for 2 - 3 minutes and massage gently your hair for best results. :)

on 9/13/2012 9:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Continuously repurchased this shampoo despite having higher end salon shampoo and conditioner available. I always fall back on this after using salon products. It makes my hair smell SO good and fruity, and my boyfriend always comments on how good my hair always smells. It lathers amazingly and there's really nothing I dislike about this product.

on 9/6/2012 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This shampoo is just ok, honestly. I have blond highlights, so wanted something that would keep them from fading. This does do a good job of that. It has been almost 3 months since my last highlight, and I can't tell that the color has faded at all. But it leaves my hair feeling dry, even with conditioner and leave-in moisturizer. So it isn't bad, but I will probably be looking for something else once I run out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

For anyone who dyes their hair unnatural colours (in my case, turquoise), this shampoo is a GODSEND! Some background info: a little more than a month ago, I dyed some of my hair with Manic Panic (a semi-permanent hair dye); I bleached it first; and I wash my hair 3 times a week. I have used this shampoo (and the matching conditioner) the entire time and the colour has barely faded at all; I have not touched it up since the initial dye-job because it is still very vibrant. I don't even put any dye in the shampoo or conditioner, because only some of my hair is turquoise, and I don't want to tint the rest of my hair. I highly recommend buying this if you want your colour to last for a long time... and also because it's fairly cheap and smells amazing! My hair looks and feels very healthy, but I would recommend using Moroccan oil or something similar after you wash it, because I found that my hair felt a little dry without it, and I quite often curl my hair.

Update (May 2015): I have been through a number of hair colours and dyes, and I have tried more expensive shampoos, but from purely a colour-maintaining perspective this stuff it the greatest. My hair will grow out before it fades. Also, my hair feels pretty good despite some of the stuff I've put it through. I just do a hair mask when I need a little extra help.

on 3/25/2012 9:06:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My mother and I have been using this shampoo for a LONG time now! I'm not quite sure why she hasn't switched to Body Envy because we both would enjoy more volume and she doesn't even dye her hair, but whatever. This product gives both of us shine, a little bounce, and an overall healthy look with a great smell to boot. Love this shampoo.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This made my scalp flake! Otherwise it looks nice and smells nice.

on 1/16/2012 8:20:00 PM

This is the shampoo (and conditioner) that I keep coming back to again and again. My hair is quite easy to deal with - straight and fine. It's occasionally a little flat or frizzy, but generally it doesn't need much attention. My favorite thing about this shampoo has always been the smell - it has an absolutely wonderful scent. My husband always notices and tells me how good my hair smells when I use it. It also gets my hair nice and clean without leaving it feeling stripped. I don't actually color my hair, so I can't speak to how well it helps preserve your color, but for my needs it's perfect. Would highly recommend this!

on 11/25/2011 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

After trying several different color-preserving shampoos, I finally settled on this one. I've gone through 3 bottles and I adore it.
To start, it smells awesome and lathers well, I feel like it really cleans my hair as I'm washing it. The bottle is a great shape to turn upside down without falling over, and it's easy to open in the shower with wet fingers.
After I condition and dry my hair, it's shiny, bouncy and soft. It looks healthy and the color is preserved. My hair isn't dry or weighed down, it's perfect.
I'll absolutely keep buying this, it's my new favorite shampoo!

on 10/10/2011 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have loved this smell since middle school, when I feel like every girl had a bottle of Herbal Essences in their shower. The new packaging is cute and girly, and I like that you can flip the container upside down when it gets low without it falling over. However, I find this shampoo to be very drying. Its great for when you have product build-up, or have let a good blowout last 2 or 3 days, but using this daily really dried out my ends and even my scalp. I would think it was just me, but my bf was complaining of his scalp itching after using this also. If this came in a milky, moisturizing formula, I would repurchase...but as it stands, there are better shampoos - even cheap ones - out there.