BeneFit Cosmetics Dr Feelgood

2.4

Corn Starch Modified, Diethylene Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Isosteryl Meopentanoate, Silica, Polyethylene, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Tridecyl Trimelitate, Diethylene Glycol Diisononanoate, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobili) Flower Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Ascorbyl Palmitate

on 3/17/2014 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought Dr. Feelgood about 15 years ago. It was one of my first purchases from a high end makeup line after I got a "real" job, so that alone makes it memorable to me. It's also so terrible, bordering on useless, that it's still memorable to me all these years later. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but bad beauty product memories stay for life.

All these years later, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what this product is actually suppose to do. Dr. Feelgood is a clearish balm that comes in an irritating tin that is impossible to open and has sharp edges around the lid. It comes with a circular sponge that immediately attracts and holds on to every piece of fuzz, dirt or substance that it may come into contact with. You can actually feel the bacteria and other cooties growing on the sponge. The balm is supposedly some kind of miracle product that "finishes" your skin - blurs lines, diminishes large pores, sets makeup and all that jive. All I remember this doing is giving me an oddly greasy and waxy look. There was no finishing or blurring to speak of unless you consider having a layer of dryish, greasy wax on your face "finished". I also found it impossible to keep little hairs and dust off my face. Just like the sponge this comes with, Dr. Feelgood is a little hair and dust magnet. In retrospect, this is probably not a product for people with dry skin. It may work wonders on people who have very oily skin and need to blot throughout the day but this did nothing for me except make me look weird and dirty. That's rather the opposite look I've always gone for.

Even though I bought this many moons ago, I hung on to it for quite a long time because I couldn't reconcile that it was a dud. I tried making it work on and off for years but never could get the hang of it and never got used to the icky, filmy feeling. In a way, this product was prophetic of all the Benefit products I tried - they seem great in theory but like Lemon-Aid, BeneTint, BeneTint Balm, and You Rebel, they just don't translate for me. In fact, every time I see a new Benefit product that I think I might like, a memory of Dr. Feelgood comes flying back and I move on.

That said, this obviously works for some people out there as it's still a part of Benefit's line and I've read glowing reviews on Sephora, but this was a bad choice for me.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is a terrible product that needs to be discontinued from BeneFit. It has no purpose, but to make our skin look and feel terrible, plus the container is poorly made. It's gimmicky! I don't trust makeup or skincare products that are put in pots or jars because they lose their freshness very quickly and it's unsanitary. I have used this product in the past when I first started getting serious with makeup (2000) I had no idea what a primer was. I saw this in a magazine and I had to have it! Boy, was I wrong! When I used it a few times, I woke up with these ugly, cyst-like pimples. I thought this was supposed to control my oiliness and leave my foundation looking flawless, but it did nothing but give me the most unnatural look I've even seen! My foundation was so cakey and ugly. I will NEVER, EVER buy this product again!! Please be aware of this product. It serves no purpose. Just look at the reviews! The only product I recommend is their Porefessional primer. It's a good product, but there's other primers that are better. So, please don't purchase this blindly like I did. The reason why I bought this was the cute picture. I was young and naive...LOL

I was attracted to the beautiful vintage pot. That is the only real good thing I have to say about this product.

The lid is difficult to get off, the sponge is too large, and the product pills terribly. It is very waxy in consistency, and when I try to scoop some out, I either get too much or too little product.

As a result, it sits on my vanity and looks pretty. I will not be repurchasing.

on 12/21/2013 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Although this product smells good and leaves your skin feeling smooth and silky, I see no difference in the way my skin looks. In fact, once I put it on, 10-15 minutes later I notice that my t zone is back to being oily. Would not reccomend this product.

on 12/10/2013 10:03:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

What a piece of garbage product. Firstly, I absolutely LOVE most Benefit products, particularly their highlighters (Girl Meets Pearl, High Beam, Sun Beam, etc.) and mascaras. I purchased this product randomly during one of my many holiday Sephora cravings. I decided to purchase the smaller one ($9) after seeing mixed reviews. (I do appreciate Benefit's option to purchase travel sized versions of their products so as to have the opportunity to test the product before buying a full sized version!)

The little pot/tin it comes in is quite small and unsanitary. There is a little sponge that comes with it that gets mucked up pretty quickly and then the product gets yucky from using the sponge/fingers after just a few uses. The smell didn't bother me, but is lemon-y (kind of like furniture polish) for those of you who are sensitive to fragrance. The product pills pretty easily and then is difficult to distribute. None of this would have mattered to me had the product actually been of use. It did absolutely nothing as a finish/mattifier. Then I decided to give it a few tries as a primer, and it continued to be useless to me. I had more luck with my Covergirl + Olay Serum Primer and/or POREfessional by Benefit.

Definitely a waste and a total nothing product. Much better options out there from both other brands and Benefit themselves.

on 12/4/2013 4:18:00 AM

this made my face even more oily. i dont like the sponge either. its hard to get out. dont like the smell. it smells like a car freshener to me. didnt not feel good at all.

I really love this product to mattify my skin over makeup or over naked (SPF'ed) skin. I've used this for 4 years and consider it excellent. I've used a lot of mattifying products over the years. I like the citrusy fresh smell. I'll be re-re-buying till my skin shine sods the sod off.

Things I don't like:
I dislike Benefit's highly inflated prices in Ireland and I have contacted them about the extortionate mark up.
I don't like the metal tin system or the sponge sitting on top of the product.
It starts to get difficult to use up at the end- it breaks up and plays hard to get.
You need to clean your sponge regularly or it looks revoltingly manky- hot water and Bobbi Brown brush cleaner work well.... or fairy dish wash liquid. take your pick.

on 11/2/2013 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got this product from my local mall.

I was looking for something that would help me control my t-zone oil... She put some of Dr. feelgood, it did mattified my t-zone with a nice pleasent lemon scent. So I got it. I realized later that this product dries out my skin like crazy.

I returned this quickly after buying

on 11/1/2013 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Why make a product that is nearly impossible to open. I was tempted to hammer the side so that it would not suction shut. My BF opens it for me, which is real helpful at work when he is not here! Product didn't do anything!

on 10/28/2013 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I always recommend the porefessional over this. hard to apply, pills when dragged, tugs the skin and the tin is a nightmare to open with freshly moisturised hands. it does feel heavy on the skin as well, only seems to work alone or under makeup and contains vitamin c, which my counter manager told me is actually a stimulant when ON the skin, which causes breakout