L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

on 1/14/2015 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My all-time fave mascara!

L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black gives me exactly the lashes I want. Just perfectly PRETTY lashes! It's ultra dark, it's lush, it's flirty. I have tested tons of mascaras over the years and this remains my standard. It's just the right amount of drama for me. Great length, wonderful volume, nicely curled. Delicious! I will (and have) bought this over and over again.

That's not to say there aren't others I love. I've tried Dior, TooFaced, Benefit, YSL, Tarte, CoverGirl, MAC, Guerlain and so many others. Frankly, I don't think mascara's something where high end necessarily performs better and since it only lasts 3 months if it sucks, it really sucks. I love Essence I Love Extreme Crazy Volume for high drama, it's unbelievably cheap. Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing is really similar but more separating and slightly drier - it's vying for my number one spot but not sold in Canada. TooFaced Better Than Sex is a really flirty albeit spidery mascara. YSL Faux Cils would be so good if it didn't flake like crazy or pull my curl down. L'Oreal Telescopic is good for length and bottom lashes.

And DiorShow? Well, for me, it was an exact dupe of this - I had new tubes of both the DiorShow and Carbon Black and for a whole WEEK wore one on each eye and I could not tell the difference - at all. The CB brush looks like someone took a shrinkray to DiorShow one. It's funny, the saleslady recommended DS to me and when I told her I use CB, she said it used to be the gold standard but new mascaras have far improved and outperformed it. Maybe it's just the state of my lashes that I cannot detect a difference?

I've noticed it takes about a week before it really delivers since the formula is wet and you should wiggle a little. I highly recommend you try this once in your life :)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is for Voluminous Carbon Black in Waterproof since I have short stick-straight lashes. I only apply at base of lash then swipe towards ends once to avoid clumpy, spidery look. Two coats look natural but noticeably darker. Gives me smoky eye look without all the application work. Since it is winter, I use argan oil on under eye and lately, I notice that I have raccoon-eye smudge even if I powder after concealer. Will try with regular eye cream rather than argan oil.

Pros: noticeably darkens my lashes, stays on for hours, beautiful thick lashes without clumps, holds curl, thick-bristle brush is perfect for the way I apply mascara, gives me smoky eye look

Cons: smudges under eye (like I misused a khol pencil), no clumps even though formula is thick (I wipe off excess before applying), thick rather than wet formula so may need comb, needs two passes with creamy or oily eye makeup remover

Gave three lippies for dark, sexy lashes with curl. Would be higher if it didn't smudge. Won't repurchase Carbon Black in winter (argan oil = raccoon eyes) but will try regular Voluminous waterproof in Black.

on 12/18/2014 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Ive tried all kinds of mascara and i always come back to this. I may have a few different kinds at once but this ones always there. Number one

on 12/15/2014 1:39:00 PM

The formula is both thick and wet, if that makes any sense. When you pull the brush out, it's laden with product and if applied without scraping off the excess just globs down your lashes. If the product is scraped off the brush before applying, it does darken the lashes but is completely subpar in adding volume or curl to your lashes. Overall, not happy or impressed with this product.

on 10/31/2014 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This mascara is my go to product.

The trick I find to using this mascara is to always wipe the excess off when using it. I lightly blot it with a tissue and then I apply.

Also when applying the mascara, start at the base of the last, and apply in a "wiggle" direction, then coat the rest of the lash.

This is one of those mascaras where "less is more" i.e dont apply three coats of it as it will look spidery...unless that is the look you are going for.

on 10/15/2014 6:34:00 AM

This! This is one of my absolute favorites and it's the less expensive mascara L'Oréal carries!!! It lenghtens, volumizes, is super black... I adore this. The brush is nice as well. For me, it does not smudge or clump. During the first times of using, the formula is wet and then it dries but for me, I found both ''stages'' of formula to be really amazing! You got to try it for yourself!

on 10/7/2014 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This mascara is what I wanted the Clump Crusher to be. It'll gives me thickness and length in the blackest black color I've ever seen on my eyelashes. I bought mine at Target which was a great deal. As long as you remove the gunk from the wand every week and apply the second coat within a minute from the initial application, you will not see any clumps on the lashes. This saved me money because I was very close to going back to high end mascaras until I found this.

on 9/21/2014 7:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This x5 Voluminous in Extra-Black is a really great product.
My lashes are black & thick already but when I apply this in 2 coats, they stand out & you cant help but notice the difference.
This product does exactly what it claims too - adds buildable volume without clumping!!

Worth every cent. Has almost no odour. Highly recommended.
Its not waterproof so because its so thick & voluminous, it will run like you know what if you cry or get your face wet :)

on 9/20/2014 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I liked the way this made my lashes look a lot! However, it came off so easily. After an hour of wearing it, it looked like I had been in a sauna. It just melted off really bad. I have to buy the waterproof version for it to be okay. But the waterproof version is a different formula, and doesn't make my lashes look as good. I've given up on this mascara entirely.

on 9/17/2014 12:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have been on a mission lately to find the best DS mascara for my lashes. I really like this product. I like that it is so black and goes on thick. However I do NOT like the brush it comes with. If you use it, it clumps this mascara all up and gets all over your eyes too. That was really frustrating me because I knew it would look great if I could get it on evenly and without making a mess... SO I just started using an old mascara brush( after I washed it with soap of course) I had from the voluminous million lashes (did not like the million lashes at all). Its a plastic bristle brush that works awesome. it separated the lashes and applies just enough product that you can put on 3 coats without all the clumping and lashes sticking together. NOW I can get my lashes really long by layering with this mascara. Also I dont get it on my face. The original brush is just too big and doesnt comb thru lashes well. I am very impressed with the mascara, just takes a little more work by using and cleaning a different brush every time I use it but its worth it to me! If you like really black mascara, you will love it. The price was awesome at only 6$ as well.

Video Reviews & Tutorials