Lansinoh Lanolin

4.7

100% pure lanolin

on 12/25/2013 1:31:00 AM

I hate to be "that person"-but I also hate putting this stuff on my lips. It's so thick and sticky, I can barely get it to spread over my chapped lips. I can't stand the feel of it, which is a huge bummer because I now have a big container of it sitting unused. I much prefer Aquaphor, which has a better consistency and keeps my lips soft, even in the cold snowy weather!

on 11/19/2013 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Yes this is a marketed as a treatment for breastfeeding moms with cracked nipples. I kind of wish I would have had this six years ago when I had my son! However I am not BF'ing so I bought this for my lips. Since the Midwest weather has turned colder and more windy, my lips are so chapped! To the point that lip gloss looked beyond awful on and even scrubbing my lips did not work. I would pick and peel at them even - to the point of pain. Not good, I know. But nothing worked! Literally ONE application of this and my lips were soft and smooth - no flakiness, no dryness, not chapped at all, just smooth and soft lips. I tired it on my feet too a few nights ago, put on some socks and next morning my feet felt so soft. It is very thick and kind of greasy, but I do not mind. I absolutely need this for the cold Chicago winters and I will for sure buy this again ~ at least until spring hits again!

on 11/16/2013 10:23:00 PM

The manufacturer of Lansinoh Lanolin is missing a trick by not producing it in a lip-balm-style container and displaying it with other brands' lip balms (such as Vaseline, Chapstick, Carmex, etc.)

I bet more people would buy it that way (certainly more men would!) -- as opposed to the current product placement in the baby/nursing area of a store and the relatively-large purple tube where it's written that the cream is for "sore and cracked nipples"!

(Later, I found it being sold on e bay in tiny 0.25 ounce tubes! But haven't seen those in stores.)

---
I've had unexplained, almost-constant lip chapping/irritation (known as cheilitis) for several years. The condition of my lips will get better and then worse and then a little better, but it's been impossible to get them to the previous normal state of health/normal appearance that my lips were blessed with for most of my life.

Lip inflammation/chapping can be caused by so many things, from food or product allergies to vitamin deficiences or vitamin overdoses to sun damage to cancer to skin infections. I've tried many things, many approaches, and I've learned the things that make them worse -- some foods will, some cleaning products will, some essential oils will, some makeup products will -- so I avoid those.

I've tried many lip balms and ointments. At the start of my cheilitis, I was basically addicted to vaseline/petroleum jelly, but it seemed to be wise for me to wean off of it, and I did so. All other lip products seemed to make my lips worse, perhaps because of ingredients or flavors -- most lip products, even organic and simple ones, have several ingredients that might be irritating, ranging from beeswax to essential oils to colors, shimmer particles, and flavors, and it's hard to pinpoint.

A few months ago, years after developing cheilitis, I developed perioral dermatitis (which can be connected to having a simultaneous bout of cheilitis, but they are not always due to the same cause) and I'm not sure why, but after about a month of having the perioral dermatitis, the condition of my lips suddenly got much worse. I suspect it was caused by having a bad reaction to one of the "dermatologist-recommended" gentle face washes that I was trying, in hopes that it would heal the dermatitis. At their worst, my lips were cracking all over without provocation, bleeding, scabbing, and at times swelling up to twice their size - which was embarrassing in public, physically painful due to their tender nerves, and worrisome.

The only thing that helped turn things around for my lips was putting a tiny bit of plain, full-fat, unflavored organic yogurt on them several times a day (not rinsing it off), especially before bed and after eating. (I also was putting the yogurt on my face once a day as a 20-minute facial mask, to try to treat the perioral dermatitis, which it also helped heal -- to an extent, but not entirely.) Very slowly, my lips improved with using the yogurt several times a day, and it took about a month to get them back to their "normal" (which is not "normal", and is actually flaky and uncomfortable, but at least they are not cracking, bleeding and oozing every day!) chapped / moderate-cheilitis situation where they've basically been for the past few years.

A few weeks ago, I read about pure lanolin and how some people who can't use any other lip products can use this on their lips, to soothe them and moisturize them, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is one of the very few things under the sun that I hadn't tried for my cheilitis.

If you are interested in the background/details of lanolin, you might want to look it up online. I thought this from Wikipedia was interesting: "...studies have shown the durational effect of the emollient (skin smoothing) action produced by lanolin is very significant and lasts for many hours. Lanolin applied to the skin... has been shown to reduce roughness by about 35% after one hour and 50% after two hours, with the overall effect lasting for considerably more than eight hours. Lanolin is also known to form semiocclusive (breathable) films on the skin. When applied daily... for five consecutive days, the positive moisturising effects of lanolin were detectable until 72 hours after final application. Lanolin may achieve some of its moisturising effects by forming a secondary moisture reservoir within the skin. The barrier repair properties of lanolin have been reported to be superior to those produced by both petrolatum and glycerin. ...[L]anolin was shown to be superior to petrolatum in reducing the signs and symptoms of dryness and scaling, cracks and abrasions, and pain and itch, ...[and] significantly superior to petrolatum in assisting the healing of superficial wounds."

Prices at drugstores/supermarkets in my town range from $10 to $14 for a 40 gram tube. On Amazon, I found this in their "subscribe and save" program (which you can order a product through, then cancel or postpone future shipments with no penalties) for $6.79 with free shipping. (And if you order 5 sub & save items together, you get 15% off.)

---
Update - October 2014

Lanolin has really helped my lips this past year. It drastically reduces their flaking, tenderness, reactivity to foods/chemicals/dry air/etc. I usually only have to apply it twice a day and the protection lasts.

Sometimes I still have a minor cheilitis flare-up, often when someone nearby is using a chemical that I react badly to (such as pine-scented cleaning products), but my lips are 90% better than they were, and I'm grateful to have found lanolin!

(Notes:
-I tried it on my cheeks where I have perioral dermatitis, but it did not help with the rash and caused little pimples to form, so I only use it on my lips.
-Some people have a bad reaction to lanolin, so you might do a 48-hour test patch if you have never used it before.)

on 11/5/2013 1:12:00 AM

This stuff is great after a hard core chemical peel! I will never be without it again! I've often thought of telling people who have dry, cracked feet about it, but I like my life so I'll keep my pie hole shut lol Am I the only one who can't stand to see some ugly feet in some cute sandals? Seriously!

on 11/5/2013 12:32:00 AM

This product is 100% lanolin in a little purple tube. Lanolin, if you don't have any allergy to the product, is incredibly beneficial to your skin. It's thick and sticky, but it really does seem to have a healing effect. I use it for so many things...for my cracked cuticles, for lip balm (this is the BEST lip balm, btw), for moisturizer when my skin needs some extra help from Retin-A dryness or recovering from a peel...the list goes on and on.

Some say that the purple tube is a little embarrassing to pull out in public, being that it is intended as a nipple cream...but unless people are looking closely, I really don't think they would ever know. For $9, this is definitely worth a try.

on 10/28/2013 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The hype is all true! I used to be a die-hard Aquaphor fanatic, but this surpasses it. Seems that dr lipp has turned into a trendy thing, but they perform equally in my experience, plus this is easier to find and a little cheaper.

on 10/11/2013 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was using Vaseline for my lips/nose area because it all gets sooo dry at night. Sometimes I would have to reapply it though. The lanolin is not like that. Once you put it on, it is mostly all there in the morning. My makeup looks a lot better on the skin around my mouth and nose since I've been using this. Love it.

on 9/29/2013 10:46:00 PM

I originally bought this right before I gave birth to my daughter in anticipation of the sore, cracked nipples I was expecting to have from breast feeding. Although it did take her two weeks to get the hang of nursing properly, I was very lucky in that although I was a tad sore from her improper latch, my nipples never cracked or chapped or actually needed the lanolin, so it went unused.

Fast forward to over two years later, I was browsing reviews here when I stumbled across all the raves about it being an HG lip treatment for many ladies. I was thrilled to hear this since I've had problems with dry, chapped lips for most of my life and nothing has ever helped to heal them at all. Well I went on a mad hunt to track down my unused tube and you can imagine my utter shock when a single application healed them literally overnight. I honestly don't see how it can even do that lol! Definitely an HG for me...I use it throughout the day as well, under a coat of Palladio herbal lip balm. My lips have never looked better! Thank you thank you THANK YOU ladies for suggesting it be used like this!

EDIT: I just have to add something, in the hopes or might help someone else. Like I said in my review, I've had dry, severely chapped lips my entire life. I finally found out why: gluten. When we discovered my daughter is a celiac we eliminated all gluten from our home and diet just to make things easier for everyone. Come to find out that not only did she have a problem with gluten, but so did I. My chapped lips are a thing of the past now, except when I have the occasional cheat meal...chapped lips within 24 hours! My lifelong issues with IBS also disappeared after giving up gluten. Hope this might help someone else, it's changed my life!

on 9/20/2013 6:01:00 PM

As a nursing mother I loved this stuff! I frequently lurk on the nail board, and people started raving about this for dry cuticles, I had some on hand and figured- meh, why not. And wow was I blown away!!

It's great for chapped lips too! I wear it to bed when my lips are dry and flakey. I also get dry/flakey patches on my face, (sides of nose and in between eyebrows) I throw some of this on it and poof! No more dry patches!!

I use this for my gauges too. After I clean my ears and plugs I have a tough time getting the plugs back in. I put a little bit of this on my ear and plug and it's like butter!

This stuff is amazing and I can't praise it enough. I consider this to be cheap because it will last you FOREVER!! I haven't finished a tube yet and I used it multiple times a day for multiple uses.

It can be hard to squeeze out of the tube, but that's a quick fix! I just roll the tube between my hands. After that it's nice and workable! Remember a little goes a LONG way!!

You'll find this stuff in the baby feeding isle. Usually hanging on the wall right above the breast pumps. Purple box. It's around $10. And for what you get, it's cheap!!

on 7/6/2013 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on using Lansinoh as a lip balm ONLY.

This is my new favorite lip balm. It's moisturizing withOUT being oily and messy! I like to put Hello Kitty "Apple Balm" over it to add color and it lasts a fairly long time.
This works wonderfully in cold weather (or any season)! My only qualm is that if it's windy outside my hair brushes against my lips. and, in turn, I get Lansinoh on my sunglasses and it smudges. >.<
That aside, my lips are soft and always feel hydrated with Lansinoh on, and the stickiness keeps it on for hours (unless I eat) before I have to reapply.

Pros:
- Sticky (I like the fact that it stays on better than an oily lip balm)
- Moisturizing
- Non-greasy
- Unscented
- You get a LOT of product in a tube
- Great base for lip gloss

Cons:
- Sticky (It's a pro for me, but some may hate the texture)
- If you apply too much it creates a white film on your lips

Popular Lip Treatments