August 21, 2014 | 1785 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2012 2:11:00 AM More reviews by betriix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm not sure if this is the best mineral foundation out there, but so far it's the only line I've tried that has a good match for me. The shade is called Light. It's a creamy light yellow shade with a little peach. There is no discernible olive whatsoever, and very little beige. (Yes, I've tried Meow's Manx and Chartreux, but they were either too yellow or too peach). Granted I am extremely color sensitive, because I'm a retoucher for work, so I'm used to discerning subtle color shifts that require an almost extra sensory perception. But damnit, I want my skin to look like MY skin!

I'm ashamed to say that I've become obsessed with finding my HG over the past two months and have purchased way more samples than I care to calculate. My sister came over the other night and saw my millions of packets in the bathroom with labeled swatches painted onto paper towels, etc. She was like "Oookaaaay... "

The only other one that came close was Alima Warm 3, but I got excited and used it up too quickly to give it a good, careful comparison with EDM Light.

Everyday Minerals foundations have a different finish from most other MMUs. They use primarily mica in their formulations. There are pros and cons of this. On the pros side, mica melts into the skin like nothing else. It is dense and suede-like in texture and lays into the skin almost like a cream. It doesn't have the light, powdery, dust-in-the-air qualities of other MMU. I'm not sure that there is a definite con side, but it depends on your taste and your skin. It's hard to describe what the heavy mica does to the finish. It can be extremely natural and dewy. It leaves a very rich finish compared with zinc and titanium. I don't know how else to put it. On the other hand, depending on your skin and how much you've applied, it CAN look a bit heavy in some lighting. Yet in most lighting it looks incredibly flattering. Very confusing.

EDM hasn't officially won as my HG. I feel slightly mixed about the finish, and yet so far I feel there are more advantages than disadvantages. The color, of course, works for me, but I'm going to try Silk Naturals mix-your-own style MMU before I give up on my HG search. I'd love to be able to adjust color at will. The question is, will I be able to mix up something as flattering as EDM Light? And will I miss all that creamy mica goodness?

I should note that Lumiere also uses a lot of mica. I just tried samples today, but alas both the Gold and the Warm look green on me. I don't get it. The models on the website don't look green. But as soon as I opened the package, I could see it. Okay people, I'm not a Vulcan. Seriously?

Anyway, I recommend giving EDM a try. There are some beautiful colors, even though the color scheme doesn't make sense, and the colors are poorly described on the website. Samples are free though, which is fantastic. By the way, I've not noticed much difference in the Matte and Semi-Matte formulas. The intensive seems a bit chalky though, so I steer clear of that one. The packaging works, but I wish they were glass instead of white plastic. Makes them look a bit cheap. Oh well. Good product overall for sure.

One more thing, don't try their "Golden Beige" concealer (Formulated for light to medium complexions with soft yellow undertones) unless you have medium to dark brown skin. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one.

Edit: Well Silk Naturals didn't pan out for me, despite a great deal of experimentation. But I have since found my HG. It is Meow after all. I couldn't figure out my color at first, but now that I have nailed it (Siamese/Manx mix), it's so much better than anything I've ever used. I can't believe I used to think EDM Light was a great match. Meow's formulas are better too.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2012 7:46:00 PM More reviews by randomtaskzombie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is amazing! I love the finish i really love the coverage because i have a lot of acne scars to cover and this does the job very very well. However, this breaks me out so incredibly bad. I have never tried any product that breaks me out but this does. I have gotten probably 20 pimples from wearing this, they are cystic and very painful. I would recommend at least giving this a try. I really wish it didn't break me out. It would be HG foundation for me if it didn't break me out.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by lostsundaygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love EDM products, the packaging is so much better than other mineral makeup brands and it's relatively cheap but lately I haven't been happy with EDM changing their formula without informing their customers.

The first time I used the EDM base my skin didn't break out and it photographed so well. This last time after I reordered my powder the color started looking a little more orange after application but still was so much better than other powders I've used. However, I also started to notice that my skin was getting gradually more irritated and itchy as well which I never had before. From what I've found out they've added lauroyl lysine which is a possible irritant and can cause allergic reactions which I think I'm having and it's just exacerbating my acne. Therefore, I'm switching over to Mineral Hygienics which seems to have the same EDM ingredients except without lauroyl lysine. I'll keep you guys updated!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by ckrone

LOVE THIS STUFF!

I switched from Clinique for my foundation needs after I went vegan and really missed the even coverage of a liquid foundation. So I gave the elf liquid foundation a shot and found that it wasn't that great for oily or acne-prone skin. I like a lot of the elf products because they are so cheap and are actually vegan but that particular product wasn't my favorite.

After I gave up on liquid, I gave bareminerals a shot. I liked the coverage, but I have some acne scarring that it didn't cover to the fullest. However, I was very happy with it and didn't feel that the brand was seriously lacking.

Enter Everyday Minerals- a brand that promotes itself as cruelty free. I gave this stuff a shot with the free sample kit online, how can you lose? One use, and I was hooked! The coverage is so much better than bareminerals, and I don't have to use nearly as much. I felt like I had to do tons of buffing to get bareminerals to improve the look of my skin, but with Everday Minerals I hardly had to buff and even skipped concealing.

It feels creamy when it touches your skin, the coverage is even and medium/full. Additionally, their blushes and bronzers are very natural and highly pigmented. Very little product goes a long way with this brand as a whole.

And did I mention the price is awesome?!

I'm a convert to Everyday Minerals, that's for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by macybee

I love this foundation! I'm someone who hates shopping for makeup because it's so hard to find something that works and matches my skin tone. I got some samples and loved it... I was previously thinking of buying Bare Minerals but in comparison Everyday Minerals is ground so much finer - BM doesn't seem to sink into your face like EM.This foundations stays on well and magically makes my face look nice... my friend was watching me put my foundation on on prom day and seemed genuinely surprised that I was able to shape up so nicely (since I looked gross before with no makeup on.) It looks like I'm barely wearing any makeup. I also bought the multi tasking concealer and I like that as well. The only thing is that I think I need a slightly lighter shade, but that's my fault for ordering the wrong one. You can barely tell, but I wish I had the lighter shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Ayeangeeela

I honestly love this foundation. I have combination skin. I am dry around my cheeks and oily around my t-zone. Even though i am dry around my cheeks, when i apply this foundation it doesn't give me any flakes or any dry patches. this foundation isn't exactly fully matte. it does have the smallest amount of shimmer in it, which i love because it gives you a really nice natural glow. I fall into the shade sandy medium which i believe is nc42-43 in mac cosmetics. I also like the packaging of this product because it does have a sifter which avoids spillage. This foundation doesn't exactly give you full coverage, its gives you more of a medium coverage if you just put in one layer of it. You can definitely get full coverage if you apply a second layer. & its very buildable. so overall i love this product & will definitely purchase another one.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by ollagreta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This used to be my HG foundation, but the new formula with Lauroyl Lysine makes me break out badly.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by lilmi

So disappointing.

I ordered a good variety of samples to try out as I wanted to consider switching to mineral make up.
Everyday Minerals was very disappointing, a lot of them left a 'grey' cast and the very few that didn't just went on orange. They also emphasised imperfections, even minor ones.

The biggest issue I had with this was that it irritated my skin so badly. I must have had an allergic reaction which surprises me because my skin isn't very sensitive and I've never had that issue with other mineral make-up. It literally caused my blemishes to flare up, swell and go red after about ten minutes. Will definately stay away from this range's makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by blatantdream

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A little intro in case anyone is looking for a color match. I am NC37 in MAC, 123 in MUFE HD, and 207 in MUFE Duo Mat and I use buttered tan in the matte formula of this foundation.

I'm not going to compare this to other finishes of everyday minerals foundations or to any other brand of foundation. I'm sure you can find those on the web.

For what it is, it works great on my skin. I have to say all foundations look greasy on my face after awhile, it just that some take longer than others to reach that shiny disco ball look. This is no different. But I have to say its on the longer side. I will get about 3 hours out of it before I have to blot or powder to get rid of the shine.

I love the matte finish you get once you're done applying. The coverage is buildable and gets pretty close to full coverage and doesn't look cakey. It does not emphasize dry spots or pores on me. The packaging is pretty convenient. The sifter can be closed so product doesn't get everywhere when you open it. The cap to the jar is big enough that I use it to swirl the foundation in after I dump it out for application.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 7:31:00 PM More reviews by superschmitty16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First off, I want to say that my skin is SUPER pale, oily, and sensitive. Im 16 and i was super excited to get the free samples, I used this for about 5 days and i loved it! the color was perfect, and that has never happened before. I got it in the shade fair, all other foundations make me look orange no matter what. It didn't control oil very well but thats fine, the finish was very natural and not powdery at all, and the coverage was about medium. After the fifth day, i got 3 huge and painful cystic acne aroud my mouth. I hardly ever get pimples since using my perscription creams, and never have i ever gotten any around my mouth! so i did some research and i found that they changed their formula to include lauroyl lysine, which is a amino acid derived from cocunut oil. And i learned it was highly comedogenic, which was probably what caused my cystic acne. I read other reviews and a lot of others had the same problem i had. So overall i would say this foundation is great, but if you have senstive, acne prone skin stay away from this foundation, or at least try their foundations first. I heard that Lily lolo is a great mineral foundation for people who have senstive skin, and they also have great pale shades, so im gonna check them out!