August 1, 2014 | 910 users online

Cleansers - The Body Shop - Tea Tree Oil Face Wash

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by navita11

About 2 of its ingredients:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate is a cheap detergent and foaming agent ( anionic surfactant) composed of 4 known carcinogens; formaldehyde, dioxane, ethylene oxide and Acetaldehyde. They also dry out the skin and cause irritation. Besides sever skin irritation, other effects that animals that have been exposed to SLS during testing have had are damage to the eyes and nervous system. As well as resulting in depression, difficulty breathing, diarrhoea and even death.

Phenoxyethanol, or ethylene glycol monophenyl ether, is often used in cosmetics to kill bacteria and keep the formula stabilized. It is possible to derive this product from natural sources but is too often not the choice when very cheap synthetic equivalents are available. Phenoxyethanol is toxic to the kidneys and bladder. It may cause problems with the reproductive system and serious damage to the eyes. In several animal studies its toxicity was apparent when, used in moderate doses, caused degeneration to the brain and nervous system as well as testicular atrophy and reproductive damage. Japan and the EU have restricted its uses in cosmetics.

Source:

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 2:42:00 PM More reviews by thisbebecky

Bought this to treat my acne breakouts on my forehead and temples. I have oily skin and it is a little drying but didn't do anything to treat the acne. I used this with the tea tree oil toner, and while it does clean my face, it wasn't more effective than any regular gel cleanser not meant to treat acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by xsxpxixdxexrxsx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This is my go to facial cleanser. It doesn't dry out my skin and it feels cool and tingly.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2014 11:22:00 PM More reviews by woofyxbaby

I have combination, acne prone skin and I tried this product and the matching toner based on a friend's recommendation (two friends absolutely love it). It's a decent product but nothing exceptional. I think tea tree oil is supposed to reduce inflammation such as redness but I didn't see a reduction in redness. I continue to break out, though not as much, but I don't know if it is because of this alone, in combination, or something else in all the other products I'm using (moisturizers, makeup, washing routine, exfoliating, etc).

My skin felt clean after using this product. I think it did a fair job taking off residual makeup (after i used wipes) but I would sometimes wake up with that leftover mascara under my eyes.

The price was a steal only because I bought it when The Body Shop had a really good sale promotion. Otherwise, I think it would be too expensive for me to buy it again (full price) with the fair results I received. I think I'll try something else.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2014 3:05:00 AM More reviews by clp53

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Hm. Bought the travel size to test this out . It has a nice texture and it smells minty . It did help with my oily skin but did nothing for acne. I just use it now to tKe off my makeup. It's quite average in all categories , won't buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by helloiamliz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product because I was really desperate due to my very oily skin. Even if I don't put anything on my skin, especially my T-zone gets really oily. Because I wear make up a lot, this is really annoying. Oil makes your make up move, the make up appears a few shades darker than it actually is and it just does not look appealing.

I have been using this product for about one week now, and it has a really calming affect on my skin. It says "when skin irritations occur, use less often", and this is obviously because this product has been made for oily skin, and I now can see that some areas in my face get a little bit dry, e.g. my cheeks. I honestly don't think this is bad, I'm just gonna leave my cheeks out from now on. If I had normal oily skin it would probably not be the case, but it happens that I have oily and really sensitive skin. I still get oily, but it takes hours longer and my T-zone feels and looks a lot better.

I sometimes have a few breakouts, normally on my chin. The morning after my first use, my skin felt and looked better! This has not changed. I'm using this twice a day. I guess the trick is using a small amount of this. It lathers anyways and it is enough!

The reason I'm giving this 4/5 stars is because I really like this product, but it's not like I'm absolutely crazy about it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2014 4:46:00 PM More reviews by DoWhatUWant

I've tried literally hundreds of face washes to try and treat acne prone skin, and this one is good-at first. I saw results from the first few times of using it, spots dried up and went away. However once I started using routinely it just seemed to stop having any sort of effect . I bought loads of bottles on a deal in The Body Shop so now i'm just using them because I don't want to waste my money. It does make you feel really clean though, and only a small amount is required so one bottle lasts for ages- you really get your moneys worth. Packaging is okay, doesn't really matter to me though.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2013 12:01:00 AM More reviews by KarmaEls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have normal/combination skin depends on the weather. No acne, break out sometimes. I just used it twice so can't tell the exact feeling about it. So far, it's winter, my skin is normal in this time of the year, but this isn't dry my skin at all like some people said. Will keep using it and comment back

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a travel sized version of this at Ulta to try out and so far I am impressed. I have oily but sensitive skin so I was a little apprehensive about trying this cleanser. It has been the case for me for years when it came to cleansers from The Body Shop. Many people either hate or love them. This gives a good amount of lather and my face gets a cooling effect once I rinse it off which is not a bad thing for me. It actually feels good, especially in the morning. It doesn't leave my face feeling dry and my face still feels soft. It has a good smell to my nose. If you can tolerate tea tree oil based products, then you will like this. My face never gets red and overly oily after using this and it does help with the hormonal acne and clogged pores I get. I'm considering getting a bigger bottle. Update: 1/4/14 Well, I am boosting this up to five lippies from four lippies. My skin is really responding well and has more clarity in terms of skin texture. It feels soft and I don't get as greasy as I have with other cleansers. I have been following it with pure argan oil and it has been a good combo. My face actually glows in the morning and has less redness. I am definitely getting a bigger bottle of this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Calciium

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this face wash exclusively for over 5 years, tried a few others before but I've always come back to it!

I have quite oily skin so I need a face wash that can help control that. This stuff works, and it also smells great! Another upside is that it doesn't have salicylic acid in it. The majority of face washes for oily/acne prone skin contain salicylic acid, which is great and all, but I prefer to spot treat with it since it can be extremely drying. Tea tree oil can be drying, however, with my skin it's just what I need, it keeps a nice balance, I do get oily during the day, but it's not nearly as bad as not washing my face, and I have zero dry patches on my face.

This face wash is not for everyone, like I said before, tea tree oil can be very drying. For combination skin I'd honestly recommend mixing it with another facial wash, or only using it during breakouts. If you do experience a lot of dryness.

I've used it for years though, the formula has changed a bit, but it's still amazing. It's also quite affordable, since The Body Shop frequently has those buy 3 get 2 free sales, and other sales of that sort.

If you have oily skin, give this a try. If you have any issues with dryness, I suggest you give this product a pass. If you have combination skin, use with caution or dilute it to avoid dry patches.