Smashbox Photo Finish Primer SPF 15 with Dermaxyl

3.1

on 10/15/2010 5:10:00 PM

Not for every day use: it made me break out, and usually have dry-ish skin.

And not that great for making your makeup stay all day either. My eyeshadow would be gone by the afternoon and my blush stayed on for even less than that.

on 9/17/2010 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Horrible
Greasy feel and triggered a breakout.
Expensive.
Back to Ulta

on 9/16/2010 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

This didn't really do much for me. It just provided a decent base but it felt greasy to me. I think the ELF primer works much better.

on 8/17/2010 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I received a sample of this product and have used a couple of times. Not only does it not seem to make any difference in my foundation application and appearance, but it makes me break out in hives! Love the idea, and maybe I'll try their original primer without the Dermaxyl, but I won't be purchasing this one - the hives are definitely a deal-breaker.

on 8/6/2010 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I like this product very much - and am not upset with the Smashbox line at all. This primer is a great way to create a flawless, smooth surface before applying foundation.

A nice, nice primer, indeed.

on 7/30/2010 7:59:00 PM

I am such a big fan of this product. The price is a bit steep, but my bottle never seems to run out. The feel of the gel primer feels great on your face - sets it apart from other primers. The smell isn't great but barely noticeable beyond when you first apply it.

You really only need a 4 dots around your face to get a great finish & results!

on 7/6/2010 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I really like this primer. I've been using a tiny Sephora sample, which amazingly seems like it will never run out. It smooths really nicely, and I was initially impressed by the extra ingredients (Dermaxyl and SPF).

BUT, clearly, none of us are going to use enough of this for the SPF to have any effect. Furthermore, even if we did, it would block UVB rays only, which is just dumb.

I read somewhere that Dermaxyl is a good anti-ager, but really, I only believe in retin-a at this point. It's going to take a lot more than a few industry and beauty blogs for me to care even a smidge about the newest hot ingredient.

In short, this is a good primer, but I am personally irritated by the unnecessary ingredients. I'm going to try the regular smashbox primer, and if it works similarly, I'll just use that.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

has the great gel feel that i prefer for primers. it has pluses like the anti-aging benefits and spf. the only downside is that there's a strange medicinal scent whenever i go to apply it to my face. i'm pretty picky with anything that smells that's going on my face. it's a good primer but the smell ruins it for me.

on 6/18/2010 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I got carried away with the MUA and she suggested this because I'm concerned with wrinkles. I loved the feel of my skin after I put it on. I used the Smashbox Halo Hydrating Powder, which is very sheer coverage. Well, this Primer made my face oily and made my already minimal lasting powder slip off. It also made my skin break out terribly. Also after the third day of using it, the pump completely broke and I had to scoop the product out of the bottle with a cotton-bud. I wouldn't recommend this for people prone to break outs.

on 6/3/2010 10:42:00 AM

The negative reviewers may be using too much product. It literally takes a few dots to cover my entire face and neck, so a 15ml travel tubs lasts for months and months.

I use various primer brands, but this is my staple for the summer months, since it is one of the few with an SPF. I also use it in lieu of moisturizer, which helps to avoid greasy skin.

I also allow the product to dry/set for several minutes before applying any makeup. It works like a charm.

Popular Primer/ Correctors