March 3, 2015 | 1201 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara Waterproof

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2013 2:38:00 AM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently started wearing contacts again so I had to buy waterproof mascara, which I've never liked and have avoided in the past. I went through many wp mascara reviews with no success. Just google "the best and worst waterproof mascaras", and you'll see why I got nowhere. For every "best of" list Great Lash wp makes, it appears on at least one "worst of" list with horror stories about raccoon eyes and spider lashes. That said, I'll just include the disclaimer that mascara preferences are highly individualized. For reference, my lashes are blonde-ish and skimpy, but I generally prefer lengthening/separating mascaras over volumizing ones (I dislike the popular L'oreal Voluminous). Some of my old faves are the less dramatic mascaras: Cover Girl Lash Exact (in the plum colored tube), Jane Fan Club (now very hard to find); and Maybelline Lash Discovery (the non-wp formula in all of these). I once tried and hated the regular Great Lash but then later tried it in the "Lots of Lashes" variety, which has more of a separating brush, and liked it much better with that brush, which seemed to make the formula easier to work with. So, when I began my search for waterproof mascara I decided to give the infamous pink tube a try. The wp version of GL comes with the standard brush only, so I bought the "Lots of Lashes" version just for the brush and replaced the brush in the waterproof tube with that one. A pleasant surprise. The GL wp formula is, imo, better than the regular GL formula. I experienced no clumping, smudging, flaking or irritation--even through 14-hour days and re-wetting eye drops. This mascara struck a nice balance between being too dramatic and not dramatic enough, looking somewhat natural but not boring. Nothing life changing or earth shattering, but just enough oomph for me. Again, I like that the plastic bristled LoL brush separates with only slight thickening, but for those who like a lot of volume and/or hate plastic brushes, the the waterproof version comes with a regular brush. Finally, this mascara is inexpensive, at $4.49 at HEB here in Texas. I gave it a '4' instead of a '5' because the regular brush makes it a deal breaker for me, and so I had to buy another tube just for the brush I like. One common complaint is that it's hard to remove compared with other waterproof mascaras, and I agree with that. However, I removed it with Neutrogena's eye makeup remover and had no known damaged or lost lashes, but this is usually not a problem for me, so beware if it's an issue for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by heartsinwonderland

Just didn't work for me. Held no curl, no volume, gave me some clumps. I am glad this works for so many others, but it's not for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by libbyfranc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is probably one of the most well-known mascaras in existence. Everyone I know has at least one tube of this in their makeup bag. I would say it's a pretty average mascara. Not the best, but certainly not he worst I've used (that title goes to Covergirl's Lash Blast 24 hour :D lol). It does give some more volume and length than natural lashes, but not by much. Over time it will dry up and start to clump, but that is the case with all mascaras. It's pretty cheap (I only paid $4 I think at Target). One thing I do love about this mascara is the small brush. makes it really easy to get into all the tight little corners. This one is waterproof, but comes off pretty easily with makeup remover. Overall, I would say this mascara is average, and a good cheap go to for something light to wear for your everyday, or just a good backup to have around in case your go to fails.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 5:12:00 AM More reviews by kelsummers

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

doesn't give much volume to my lashes,but makes my eyes look more alive than with no mascara at all. waterproof too, which is why i bought it. great for those summer beach days.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by DiJO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Not a good mascara at all.
It is easy to apply but that's about it.
It makes panda eyes and it's difficult to remove.
Doesn't really do much to the lashes, you just look like you're wearing a bad mascara that's it.
It's relatively cheap but it's not the cheapest and you can get much better mascara for the same price or lower.
I'm very disappointed with this product after reading review from magazines. I should've discovered MUA earlier...

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by kat123enh

I got this because i needed a waterproof mascara for the summer. The packaging is nice, watermelon-ish but it's not waterproof at all. It has a sort of dry formula, it dries fast, and it's kind of hard to apply to your lashes. This product also smudges a lot when you sweat. Impossible to take off at the end of the day.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by FairytaleEndings

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first application, I liked this mascara. It was dark, separated my lashes well, gave good length, and good volume. But after about an hour or two it started to smudge under my eyes, so it looked like I had horrid dark circles. I would not buy it again; I don't like looking like a raccoon.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by euphoricwaves

I love it but it doesn't last long. I put some on my lower eye lashes and it runs down making me look like I have dark circles. Also when it's not waterproof. Once my friend threw a little but of water on my face It instantly wore off. It doesn't lengthen or volumize anything but I still love to use it!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by yajuwen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This mascara does not give me dramatic lashes, but it does everything I expect for a mascara. It lengthens not much, but noticeably. It does't clumps and give moderate volume to lashes. It weighs down the curl a little bit but generally it holds the curl pretty well through out the day. It doesn't smudge. It doesn't make my eyes feel tired, doesn't irritate and doesn't flakes. For $4, I'm satisfied with what I got. It's not a 5-lippie mascara because for the first several days, the applicator doesn't pick up enough product, it is frustrating to use it at that point.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Dani192

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a really good mascara. I have long, but abslotuley straight down eyelashes. No mascara that I've purchased before( about 4-5 different drugstore brands like Rimmel, L'oreal, Covergirl) has ver done what this mascara did. I decided to buy waterproof because I heard that it holds the curl better(which I found to be true) This mascara lengthened, voluminized and seperated my lashes very well. I feel like it transforms my lashes. It lasts all day and very little to no flaking I also LOVE the price. I got if for less that $4 CDN at Walmart. Very happy with this mascara.