December 22, 2014 | 1540 users online

Shampoo - Giovanni - Smooth as Silk

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by sillylilyx3

I'm sorry but I had to write a review not only to tell my experience but to vent so I can go to bed with a clear mind! This shampoo broke me out so badly. I know it was this shampoo because absolutely nothing in my regimen or my healthy diet changed, and the fact that the cheek where my bangs lie is badly affected. Not only did it break me out but these are the most painful zits that I've ever had and that's saying a lot considering I had the most severe acne when I hit puberty. I did read a few reviews warning that this may happen but since I've never personally broken out from a shampoo I gave it a try. It's a total bummer because my acne heals very slowly and the deep ones (which I have now) always leave me with scars, and not the red mark scars, the pitted kind. I'm just so so upset over this. I will still give the shampoo a 3 because it did make my hair look the most amazing than it ever has. I have super thin and fine hair that is flat and lays lifeless. It is also overly processed and bleached. Basically a damaged mess. This shampoo gave it a total makeover in just 2 uses, I couldn't believe it. It looked thicker, healthy, was incredibly soft and smelled so good. Now if this hadn't broken me out beyond belief, I would be flipping over backwards for this shampoo. Acne prone gals, continue with caution.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Karolyte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really really like this product. I received a sample of it in a swap and was not sure if I want to use it at all because I have oily flat. Everything that says smooth or glossing is a big no no for me. I'm glad I did try this. It actually added volume to my hair and did not dry them our too much. Just bought two bottles of it online. Love it :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by UDMAC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I liked their tea tree shampoo so I picked this one up since I have damaged thin hair. I was not disappointed, this stuff makes my hair so smooth that I can skip conditioners some days. It's moisturizing yet doesn't break my scalp out and doesn't weight my hair down either.it has a light citrus scent that doesn't linger. l also like that it's cheap, ecofriendly, easily available, and I have no problems with the packaging either.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 12:02:00 AM More reviews by KuteKora

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My hair: standard long thickish straight black hair. slightly damaged from coloring.

2012: They changed the formula and I did not know this. I brought it from Ulta with the Tea Tree conditioner. I thought, as usually when companies say a "new improved formula" it is never ever as good as the original. I was honestly pretty disappointed, but I decided to give it a chance anyways.

I LOVE IT.

My goodness. The feel, texture, color, scent is the same as before. Doesn't sud that great but not bad either.

First wash (I used it with my Smooth as Silk conditioner, whose formula is unchanged unlike the shampoo): Hair is shinier than before (compare to my previous shampoo, Yes To Carrots). Other than that there was no change so I thought, oh its just a so so product.

Second wash: Hair shinier than first wash, starting to feel softer if you feel it out.

Third wash: Hair is very soft and silky smooth. Finally! Just like what the label says!

Fourth wash: OK OK, I give in. Hair is soft, silky, shiny, does help damaged hair. Its so good, I'm reviewing on MUA. Cmon people get this! Its awesome! I will repurchase over and over.

Fifth Wash: Shiny and silky soft. Controls flyaway but doesn't improve hair volume.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by berrycurious

This is for the OLD formula.
The NEW formula ingredients are: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

For the OLD formula, it was way too harsh on my hair, and a lot of my hair fell out and was dry after using this. Probably because of the C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, which is harsh for some people.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2012 7:25:00 AM More reviews by julevasquez

Horrible...made my hair very dry and brittle. I did like the smell however.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:29:00 AM More reviews by LTcurlygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This conditioner seems nice in the shower...meaning it's pretty thick and creamy and feels like it coats my hair well, but I really don't see any benefit after I rinse it out. i want this conditioner to work, because the price is great, but sadly I think I need something more moisturizing.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 7:27:00 AM More reviews by starspex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

After watching countless YT vids & hearing the hype about this product from all Naturalistas out there I simply HAD to try this. Now I belive the hype i'm a new Giovanni convert. My how felt lovely & springy whilst using this, my afro curls felt so soft & the elasticity in my hair felt great. I had to wash my hair about 10x's to rid it of a hair mask I had made using some Indian herbs & afterwards my hair did not feel stripped thanks to this great product. considering how natural it is it lathers up easily which has always aided as a personal indication that my hair is clean as whenever I initially apply shampoo & my hair is oily it doesn't lather up.

I also have the Leave In conditioner which I love the smell of & has great softening qualities as I'm dealing with dryness & moisture management & it has helped. I've recently ordered a couple more products from this brand, I hope I continue to be impressed. I'm glad I found this brand inkeeping with my current natural product skin/hair journey as it's organic at an affordable price & actually performs well. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the old adage 'nature knows best' rings oh so true :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 3:25:00 AM More reviews by ItsAmandaYall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

At first I thought this was the most amazing thing I've ever tried. It smelled ok, it has a faint smell but didn't my hair smell of it. It lathered amazingly I was surprised how many suds I got. The cap is easy to open and close. The underside of my hair became shiny but not really my whole head? What turned me off of this shampoo is it made me break out behind my ears and on the back of my neck. As much as I love this shampoo I can't deal with the breakouts and the price..I'm used to paying $4 a bottle, for this I paid $8 for the shampoo and another $8 for the conditioner. So $16 a month vs my normal $8.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2012 7:28:00 PM More reviews by DD1969

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've had this shampoo for a few days and so far I love it! I have fine, wavy, highlighted hair and an oily scalp, and I've been on the hunt for a good SLS-free shampoo for about a month now. This is the best I've tried so far. My hair did feel slightly tangly combing it out wet today, but I didn't use conditioner this time. I'm very happy with my hair today - it's soft and not flat or limp. Plus the shampoo smells heavenly!