Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 9/27/2013 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite sunscreen of all time. I love the fact that it contains physical sunscreen ingredients (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) which is the only sunscreen ingredient that prevents dark spots from appearing on my cheekbones. I'm Asian and even though I religiously wear a hat outside, even 5 minutes of sun exposure causes me to tan and my hyperpigmentation to kick in.

I've read the other reviews and other people seem to think it's greasy but I find the texture perfect. Smooth, not greasy and serves as a good primer underneath my make up. I'm 45 and my niece is 23 and it works for both our skin types.

It's very gentle, doesn't cause me to break out, has no scent that I can detect and a little seems to go a long way.

It's just a great product and truly one that I can't live without.

on 9/11/2013 7:51:00 PM

I use it for years now and it was actually a recomendation from my dermatologist. I think it is a bit smelly and makes my face oily when it is really hot, but it is better than all the other sunscreens I have tried.

on 9/4/2013 4:45:00 AM

Expensive and sucks. It leaves a greasy film on the face, as well as a noticeable white cast. The greasiness on the face in turn leads to grease getting near your scalp and getting your hair oily. Honestly if you want a sun protectant that has a matte finish try Sun Sense Daily face indivisible tint finish SPF 30 75 grams. Mine you SPF 40 = 2.5% of the suns rays reach your face, and SPF 30 means 3.33% reaches your face. The difference is minor. This one takes a few minutes to dry but once settled it does not leave a white cast or greasy finish. It has a very very very minor soft stickiness but that is not even noticeable. For those who are concerned just apply a loose powder on top. Best of all it costs 12 dollars, that's 25% the price I paid for clinique's city block. I'm kicking myself. EDIT: I just saw the sun sense bottle again and it is SPF 50, not SPF 30. even better.

on 9/2/2013 7:05:00 PM

It's a bit hard to blend plus it is a bit greasy.....I will not buy it

on 8/6/2013 1:08:00 PM

The spf didn't make my skin break out. I found that it was hard to put on my face as it would collect and rub of easily, I didn't try using this under make up because of this.

on 6/3/2013 8:21:00 PM

Ehhh... This product is ok. It is a little greasy and it doesnt really work that well under makeup.. Besides that it works well and it has not irritated my skin or broken me out, which is awesome! It is a little pricey.. Around $20 so i dont think i would repurchase this.

on 5/21/2013 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have THE worst luck with Clinique products HOWEVER, I simply LOVE their city block sunscreen. I can't stand to put regular body sunscreens on my face which is already super-oily and acne-prone all on its own, and in my search for a good face sunscreen I discovered this one. It has a weird chunky texture coming out of the tube but it's consistency is very light and watery so you can apply many thin layers instead of one gross thick layer. I took this stuff with me on various vacations to hot and humid destinations and upon my return, people said my face didn't tan. And I tan very easily. This means one very important thing: the sunscreen was able to withstand my oily, sweaty skin. My skin also didn't break out from all the layers of sunscreen. Here's what I do: apply a thin layer. Allow to dry. Repeat twice. No thick layers, or it will pill. And apply with a very light touch or it will pill. It has a very slight tint. I like this tint because it is a yellow tint that tones down the perpetual redness of my face. I don't use this everyday, just when I'm going to be outside for more than a half-hour.

on 5/9/2013 4:27:00 PM

I used it only twice, but that was enough for me to realize that it's a bit heavy and greasy for my skin.
I fell in love at the store, because it didn't leave a white cast on my HAND, and not exactly white, but a little bit tinted, but when I came home and smoothed it on my face I saw the same white cast, which my Cera Ve spf 30 moisturizer has.
This spf 40 protector says its oil free, but oh my...! Why it feels so oily and sticky on my skin, which is currently not oily and it's not the hottest time of the year. And it gets worst in the middle of the day!
I thought it will be good for summer, but no way!!!!! I'm going to stick to my Cera Ve, it's not oily at all.

MA said to me that she gonna take out a fresh one to me. This left me with thought that they may sell expired or close to expiration creams. Not even consistency and weird smell kind of fortified my suspicion.
Whatever it is it had to go back.

on 4/27/2013 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for years and I hate/love it. It leaves skin a little greasy, it also leaves you with a silver/white glow when you first apply it which I don't like, it also smells weird, but after years of using this I've gotten used to it. It also looks a little thick for a sunscreen... I like that it can be used as a primer, also that it gives good sun protection, and it doesn't irritate my skin. I haven't tried another sunscreen, so until I do I will stick with this product. Its not amazing, but it's not horrible either.

on 3/31/2013 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm a recent convert (bad I know) to wearing a separate sunscreen rather than an SPF-containing foundation. I'd largely moved on from Clinique products but liked the high SPF of this product. I use this over a serum and moisturizer, and eye-area primer. Most days I will mix it with a scant quarter pump of liquid foundation (Kevyn Aucoin Liquid Airbrush ATM) for a quick and light application. This way I get a sheered out look for minimal effort.

On days when I want a more finished application, I'll add a face primer and use this as a separate layer under foundation. I don't think I'd use this alone as, as many reviewers have noted, the physical nature of the sunscreen does leave a white cast.

I haven't noticed any issues with balling up or flaking, and it doesn't seem to be breaking me out. I don't find it heavy or greasy to apply. Cost wise this isn't the cheapest option out there, but I use a fairly small amount (about 1/4 teaspoon for my whole face) so on the whole I feel it's reasonably good value.