Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 1/20/2014 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I've been wearing it off and on for like a decade. I do not like foundation or powders much at all, but bought this yrs back. I like how only a tiny bit goes a long way (I only really wear it to work but not everyday, and when I do I immediately take it off when I get in). I like that it's oil free, light weight and even tho I'm acne prone, I feel it makes my skin breathe alright, but again, I take it off fairly promptly and do not wear it daily, it's off and on but has been my main go to when I do wear any sort of coverage as mine's tinted (altho aren't they all? lol) I'm a mascara fiend, tho know very little about much else!...Will continue to re-purchase. Even tho I'm Indian, my family Dr and dermatologist suggest I wear an SPF, especially in the hot Toronto summers and this is what I often choose. I've some hyperpigmentation scarring, so I like to wear an SPF so the marks don't get any darker (they already look like little freckles)...Anyhow, I find I really like Clinique skin care too for the most part. You pay a little more, but the quality I find is often good.

on 1/5/2014 5:47:00 AM

Brilliant stuff. This and the City Block SPF 25 has been a staple of mine for 20 years. I'd not be without it.

Works as a primer under foundation. Seems to protect from the sun. Nice slippy texture but not greasy. I apply it over moisturiser and under foundation. If you don't use foundation it might suit you like a BB cream.

Downside- to get good sun protection you need to use a good dollop- not just a smearing. This can cause some bubbling of the product. You also can't really re-apply during the day if you are using foundation over the top of it.

on 12/27/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I found this product didn't suit me.

Firstly it was too pale and made me look ghostly. I wasn't aware that it had any colour when I purchased it.

Secondly it peeled off my face in flakes and my make up wouldn't stay on.

Lastly I felt it was greasy and too thick. Clinique advisors told me to do the 3 step routine twice a day and exfoliate a couple of times a week, which I did. Then to add this layer and make up. My face felt clogged up.

I wouldn't recommend this if you have a tan or oily skin.

I can't believe I've never reviewed this because I've been using it for years, and has been my go-to sunscreen. I started with SPF 15, and worked my way up to SPF 40, as they kept adding new versions of this line. It is basically a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. It is lightweight but moisturizing, adds sheer color, can be used on the under-eye area with no irritation, and has antioxidants. However, it used to be chemical sunscreen free. At some point, unbeknownst to me, they started adding chemical sunscreens to this product. This is bad news because I hate chemical sunscreens. I may be forced to find a replacement now - very disappointing.

on 10/6/2013 1:47:00 AM

I have been using this and repurchasing it for a few of years now. It is a fantastic daily use high SPF sunblock. I have combination skin that is acne prone and this has not caused breakouts. It does not sting or run in my eyes when I sweat so it is great for my active lifestyle. I love that I can put this on in the morning and then I can go anywhere without worrying if my SPF is high enough. I'm always covered.

I find it wears well under both liquid and loose mineral foundation. The only drawback is that it makes me shiny in my T-zone so it requires a mattifying powder to avoid unwanted shine. The tube is expensive but lasts me about eight months with daily use.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Been using this product for a while now and I love it.

Pros: It leaves my skin soft, not oily or greasy, does not make me break out, good as a primer too.

Cons: It has a slight tint. If I put too much on it makes me look pale (I am medium skin tone).

I use City Block under Cliniques Almost Powder make up and it works wonderfully. Makes make up application super easy. By the way, they'll tell you in store it doesn't have a tint, but it does.

on 9/27/2013 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is my favorite sunscreen of all time. I love the fact that it contains physical sunscreen ingredients (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) which is the only sunscreen ingredient that prevents dark spots from appearing on my cheekbones. I'm Asian and even though I religiously wear a hat outside, even 5 minutes of sun exposure causes me to tan and my hyperpigmentation to kick in.

I've read the other reviews and other people seem to think it's greasy but I find the texture perfect. Smooth, not greasy and serves as a good primer underneath my make up. I'm 45 and my niece is 23 and it works for both our skin types.

It's very gentle, doesn't cause me to break out, has no scent that I can detect and a little seems to go a long way.

It's just a great product and truly one that I can't live without.

on 9/11/2013 7:51:00 PM

I use it for years now and it was actually a recomendation from my dermatologist. I think it is a bit smelly and makes my face oily when it is really hot, but it is better than all the other sunscreens I have tried.

on 9/4/2013 4:45:00 AM

Expensive and sucks. It leaves a greasy film on the face, as well as a noticeable white cast. The greasiness on the face in turn leads to grease getting near your scalp and getting your hair oily. Honestly if you want a sun protectant that has a matte finish try Sun Sense Daily face indivisible tint finish SPF 30 75 grams. Mine you SPF 40 = 2.5% of the suns rays reach your face, and SPF 30 means 3.33% reaches your face. The difference is minor. This one takes a few minutes to dry but once settled it does not leave a white cast or greasy finish. It has a very very very minor soft stickiness but that is not even noticeable. For those who are concerned just apply a loose powder on top. Best of all it costs 12 dollars, that's 25% the price I paid for clinique's city block. I'm kicking myself. EDIT: I just saw the sun sense bottle again and it is SPF 50, not SPF 30. even better.

on 9/2/2013 7:05:00 PM

It's a bit hard to blend plus it is a bit greasy.....I will not buy it