September 18, 2014 | 1376 users online

Masks - Oatmeal

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Glitterz484

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oatmeal is a great treatment for my ultra sensitive skin. It doesn't cause me any irritation, and doesn't dry my skin out at all. I like to use once in awhile as a calming treatment when my skin gets irritated. It gently cleans my face, reduces redness, and helps to heal blemishes all at once. I don't think that oatmeal necessarily prevents acne, but it soothes irritation that can cause acne. A lot of my acne has been caused by irritation, and oatmeal has helped a lot with that. It also seems to help by making my skin a little less oily. The only complaint would be how messy this gets, but it's worth it.

Here's my routine: (I grind up the oats into a powder with my coffee grinder. This makes the exfoliation more gentle on my skin):

- Grab a handful of oats
-Keep a fist around the oats, then run them under lukewarm water until soft
- Gently massage the oats onto your face for about a minute or so.
- Rinse off with lukewarm/cool water.
- Pat dry

*Note: Oatmeal does not remove makeup. It's best when used as a calming treatment.

**Also, I've heard a lot of people are worried about clogging their drains with oatmeal. Grinding them up seems to solve the problem, plus it's more gentle on sensitive skin. If you prefer to use regular whole oats, just run the water for awhile after rinsing them off. This should prevent the oats from sticking and clogging the drains. Hope this helps ^.^ *

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 8:45:00 AM More reviews by balancedbeauty

I frikkin love oats! More specifically, grounded oats mixed with drops of water as a face wash. It's calming, tones down redness and has anti-inflammatory properties, making it amazing for sensitive, itchy skin. Even if you don't have delicate skin, oats contain a natural cleansing agents called saponins that helps to gently cleanse the skin, cut through the day's grease and mattify while still providing moisture.

To make:

Ground dry oats in a blender for like half a minute. Just make sure its small but not too small, so it can keep its exfoliating properties. I mix it with water in my hand and apply the oat 'milk' (just press into the wet oats) onto easily irritated or red areas (cheeks) and let it sit for a few second before applying the oats all over my face in a circular motion.

It is messy but it instantly soothes my incredibly acne prone, semi sensitive skin. AND it leaves a powdery finish on my skin. It just leaves is so soft and silky and it's really good.

I used to use honey as a cleanser but it does have a PURGING phase that gives you tiny whiteheads for the first week. This is a much better alternative (no purging) and great for all skin types :)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 9:50:00 PM More reviews by jessicarabbit87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is like a bad-ish joke. After years and years of trying all kinds of pricey/ faddish face wash, using toner/ not using toner, patting/massaging on mosturizer, getting some kind of weird skin burn from various 'acne' products, spending a ton of money on brightening makeup ... Oatmeal has been sitting in my kitchen all this while?

I saw this as the top rated face masks on MUA and I just had to try. It's been about a week now of cleansing morning and night (I remove my makeup first at night with makeup remover wipes though), and my face has seriously never looked better (post-puberty that is).

I have combination, super sensitive skin that is prone to minor breakouts on my forehead and temples. I also have some crazy black/whiteheads on my nose area from time to time, and I need exfoliation every 2 days or so.

Since using oatmeal, I've noticed a few clear differences:

1) My face feels moisturized and not tight after washing;
2) My face is consistently 'brighter' and smoother after washing;
3) I haven't needed to exfoliate since starting my oatmeal regime (except for using a LUSH Brazened Honey mask once);
4) I haven't had ANY new breakouts on my face at all;
5) An ugly scar from an old pimple that I burst in a fit of anger two weeks ago is healing up very nicely;
6) My usually mid-day wok-like skin is NOT oily at all. This is the amazing bit... I go to work at 8am and leave at 6pm, and for the last blissful post-oatmeal week, I haven't had to blot or powder or touch up AT ALL.
7) I've cut out using foundation completely. Since my skin has been feeling so happy and clear, I just dot on some concealer, apply some loose powder and blusher, and I'm ready to go.

Oatmeal. Where have you been all my life? Overall it's just about the best thing that's happened to me recently.

Just massage onto your face for a minute (I run my closed fist under warm water for 10 seconds first), morning and night. I follow this with a Vitamin C serum and a gel moisturizer from Laneige. Twice a week I use a Greek yogurt and manuka honey face mask for about half an hour after cleansing. Also recommend the Brazened Honey mask by LUSH once a week to scrub out some makeup buildup you might have.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by Amandajudy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AMAZING! I read about this on MUA and was like...huh? This has probably done as much for my skin as all of the pricey cleansers and creams I have. It leaves my skin feeling very, very smooth. And it gives me a great glow. I typically wear pretty full make up everyday. But when I don't I notice that I have much, much better tone. I also wash my face and moisturizer twice daily.

I just keep a little Tupperware container of this in my shower. I roll it in my hands for about a minute until it gets pastey then put it on and let it sit while I finish the rest of my shower stuff. So cheap and easy!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2013 6:17:00 AM More reviews by ohhhoney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Been using oatmeal for many months now. Thank god I found out about the goodness of oatmeal! It's super cheap and effective!

I have rosacea and sebb dermatitis diagnosed by the doctor and been using this once every week as a scrub. When I went back to the doc, she was shocked at how much improvement I made..

I use this as a scrub - just grab a bunch, add some water and mash them up in a bowl for a min - rub it all over gently and rinse off after a minute :)

I sometimes use it with plain yoghurt as a leave on mask for about 20 mins too. Works good in both ways!

ohhhoney.wordpress.com
I highly recommend oatmeal as a cheap, effective scrub and mask for people with sensitive, reactive skin. It only made my skin better over time. (But pls, don't be over zealous in scrubbing. It dried out my skin totally when I used it 3 times a week at the start).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by Rockz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using oatmeal for about a year;
- As a mask
- As breakfast (really yummy with a banana <3)

It's really, really gentle.
Seriously. I've had dry, flaky, sensitive, acne-prone/healing skin and this mask did won-ders for my skin. I tried Bubzbeauty's method (look it up on YouTube!) and week after week, I noticed my scars started to fade, my complexion became less red, the flakiness decreased by 80% and most importantly... no acne!.
Nowadays I only exfoliate twice/three times a week, because my complexion is 90% clear, I kid you not. CLEAR!
Because of this I stopped using Differin, I just don't need it anymore
When I don't want to exfoliate, and want a ''quickie-mask'', I only use the milky substance as mask for 10 min and my skin is moisturized, fresh and soft again.

This is my HG mask. Period.
The only warning I want to give, is to not 'over-exfoliate' everyday, that WLL make your skin red and even more sensitive. Moderate exfoliation is the key to beautiful skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2013 9:17:00 PM More reviews by peacelovepatchouli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i started using oatmeal as a daily face wash. i bought the 18oz tub from whole foods. it is their 365 brand old fashioned rolled oats. it is usda organic and vegan. i follow the instructions from bubz beauty: take a fistful of oats, run warm water through fingers to get the oats wet and rub it all over the face and neck. i massage the oats in for about a minute, until the mixture starts to get dry. then i rinse it off and pat my skin dry. my skin is very dry and i don't even feel the need to moisturize after this! it is soothing, moisturizing and mildly exfoliating. my mild acne has got better too, and i've only been washing my face with oatmeal for about five or six days. it is amazing!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 12:27:00 AM More reviews by thevnilly

I grind up regular oats and keep the powder in a baggie and simply mix a palm full with water. It's a great, gentle cleanser whenever my skin in irritated or sunburned. It's also been there for me when I've run out of my usual facial cleanser and haven't been able to get more. The only cons are sometimes little pieces get caught in my hair and it can be quite messy and drain-clogging. So, be sure to rinse off at your kitchen sink if you plan on using it often.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 3:21:00 AM More reviews by dr1990

Love this! Got something called prickly heat or heat rash and my face got reallly itchy with these little puss filled bumps. It was a nightmare. Well i've had this issue before and its a nightmare everytime. I got the idea of oatmeal as a face wash from bubzbeauty and it saved my face. It took awhile for the heat rash to clear up the first time i tried it but this time it only took 2 days to see a big difference in my skin. So i would recommend this to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

I think all of us can remember at one time or another, using oatmeal in our bath for its soothing and anti-inflamitory properties. I know as a kid, when I got really badly sunburned, when i got the chicken-pox or had a skin reaction- my mom bought these little packets of oatmeal and other natural ingredients that Aveno sold at the drug store, and I believe they still do. As I've gotten older, I have seen the use of oatmeal evolve from eating oatmeal, to using it in my bath water, to trying natural bars of oatmeal soap, to different face masks that you can make homemade to help with redness, inflamation, and help soothe badly broken out skin. Many lotions at the drug store have oatmeal in them as well (I know Aveno is a brand that uses oatmeal a lot, I also use a baby lotion by Johnson & Johnson that is made of honey and oatmeal- that I absolutley love). With that being said, nothing compares to the real thing, making your own mask ir scrub- with ingredients that you can tailor to fit your needs. For the last two months, I have been using oatmeal at least 3x a week- normally just a basic mask that I use in place of an exfoliator at nightime. I wash my face clean, apply the mask, wash it off, apply my toner like i normally would after my cleanser, and then apply my nighttime moisturizer. I will tell you beforehand- if you are an impatient person, or you want results overnight... you are looking in the wrong place. It took me a few weeks of being consistent before I really saw the results- of smooth, hydrated skin that calmed down dark spots and inflamed breakouts. This 'mask' would be used as an exfoliator, and afterward I would leave it on as a mask for 30mins before washing it off. Now there are several ways to make an oatmeal mask- I like all of them, and dont really have a preference of one over the other. 1. Start off by grinding your rolled oats. You dont need a ton- I usually use 1/2 cup, to make sure it covers all my face and neck- and I find this is the perfect amount. Toss them in a coffee grinder, and grind them up like you would coffee beans. Now, I like to grind mine up until the oats become very fine, you may like yours a little less fine... You can experiment with this later- depending upon how gritty you want your exfoliator to be. The less fine they are- the more grit and the more harsh they will be, its just a matter of opinion. 2. Add a bit of hot water- i usually add 5 tablespoons and go from there. You want the consistency to be easy enough for you to spread on your face- and that may take more or less water depending upon how fine your oats are. 3. If you have super dry skin, you can also add a bit of milk. Again, there isnt an exact amount, because it depends upon the size of your oats. I usually add half water/half milk, and I love it. (Before I started using the oatmeal, i would rub milk on my face after I washed it, to help soothe dry, red skin. Now that I use oatmeal, I combine the milk to save myself a step later on).
4. The last ingredient is honey. I dont measure this either, I just add a spoonful and blend it in really well. I started buying this all natural honey that comes in a try- with the honeycomb on the outside and the nice layers of honey on the inside. It's a bit expensive, but i use it in many of ny homemade beauty products and it seems to be working really well.
When you are done mixing, take your fingers and apply the mixture to your face. Be generous, and apply evenly all over your face, and I like applying to my neck as well. After I have applied the whole mixture, in circular motions, I rub it into my skin like an exfoliator- making sure to pay extra attention to my nose and my forehead where I usually get blackheads. After a few minutes of exfoliating, I leave it on my skin for 20-30mins, or until it comes close to drying. I take a warm washcloth and rinse all of the mixture off of my face. Once everything is removed, I sometimes use a toner (and sometimes not, depending on the condition of my skin that day), and then finish off with my nighttime moisturizer.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants to try something new, or someone who is moving towards all natural products. I have tried so many products, spent so much money on products that give empty promises- that usually just end up making me break out, or drying my skin so bad that it hurts. I have moved towards natural products- using oatmeal, honey, lemon, milk, olive oil, coconut oil, and different essential oils for break outs and moisture... I am having more luck with products I make on my own than I ever did with high end products. Give it a try and see if it works for you... Its cheap, most of these items you usually have on hand, so the cost is very minimal. I love it, and have enjoyed trying all these new things. 5 lippies for oatmeal!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No