Oatmeal Mask

Price: $

INCI: Water/Aqua, Avena Sativa (Oat) Flour, Mel (Honey), Tocopheryl Acetate

on 5/19/2014 7:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oatmeal has made nothing to me. It did not make my skin better at all, though it did not make it worse. I guess I was expecting way too much. I have been using it for more then 2 weeks (once everyday), but nothing in the world happened. If you have like normal skin (not oily or too dry), this wont help you. But since its cheap, you could at least have a try. But be sure to wash your face clean with cold water after using it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I've always been aware of the benefits of natural ingredients like honey, aloe vera gel, and yogurt/milk, but I was never really quite sure why oats were so commonly included in natural skin care recipes or even in mainstream products (like many of Aveeno's). I decided to look it up and found an article on the Huffingtonpost explaining the benefits of oats. (Here is the URL if you're curious: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/oatmeal-beauty-benefits_n_4214053.html).

To summarize, I learned that oats are great, not only for their obvious use of physical exfoliation, but also because they have naturally occurring compounds that are anti-inflammatory and soothing. It's full of vitamins and minerals and has lipids that help condition the skin. It can also help balance the pH of your skin. Another cool thing I found out is that they contain saponins which are added to shampoo products for lathering qualities. So, overall, it's a pretty useful, versatile ingredient in food AND skincare. Colloidal oatmeal is basically oatmeal that has been ground up into finer particles, and is used in bath water to sooth dry, itchy skin.

I decided to test out the oats for myself since I had very irritated, sensitive skin for some reason. I first tried the method outlined in the youtube video by Bubzbeauty where you clench the whole oats in your hand under water and then apply, but I found this was too messy for me and hard to apply so I didn't feel like I got the full benefits of the oats.

I wanted the oats to be more mask-like to stay on my face longer, so the next time I put the oats in the blender and they became smaller and more powder-like pretty quickly. Even though I blended the oats, they are not exactly powder-y, so you can still use them to exfoliate. In a small bowl, I added honey, plain whole-fat yogurt and a dash of turmeric (all of which have similar skin benefits) to make the oats stick to my skin and enhance the function of this homemade mask. I mixed and applied over my face without any issues of oats falling all over the place and making a big mess. After the mask has been on for 10-15 minutes or however long you'd like to leave it on for, you can use the oatmeal concoction on your face to gently scrub your face. Just rewet a bit by wetting your hands under the faucet (you don't need a lot of water, just have wet fingers is fine), then taking it to your face and rubbing your face in circular motions. Then wash off completely to reveal radiant skin! (Note: Try to keep the oatmeal away from your hairline! It gets hard to wash off after you've left it on as a mask because it gets soggy and just sticks. When washing off the mask, start at the hairline first and sweep the oatmeal towards the center of your face, not up and outward towards the hairline as you would normally if that's what you do normally, anyway!)

My skin feels SO much better now less irritated, more soothed I definitely see myself incorporating oatmeal into my daily routine. It's fast and easy, especially after having ground of a couple handful of oats in the blender and putting them in a container by the sink to use every time I wash my face (without makeup on, of course).

If you're going to try this, I definitely recommend blending the oats up so they're easier to use!

Edited to add: To better reap the benefits of oats, I thought of another great method to try! Take a tablespoon of oatmeal and put it in a container that has a cap. Then, add water (I like to use filtered water) at a 2:1 ratio (2 parts water, 1 part ground oatmeal). The water should immediately turn a milky color. "Massage" or squeeze the oats with a spoon a little bit, then let sit for 10 minutes before it is "ready" to use. You can just leave the oats inside since they just stay on the bottom. To apply, soak a cotton pad into the milky water portion and smooth all over face. It can be drippy, so you may want to squeeze the excess before applying, or just apply it completely soaked and gently pat away the excess with a dry, clean washcloth. It smells slightly of oatmeal at first, but it goes away. This is a great way to have oats soothe your skin all day long! You can wear it under makeup (powder preferably so it doesn't "disturb" the oat toner) and no one will be able to know. :) Just store the unused portions of this simple, easy concoction in the fridge. I wouldn't recommend making too much or leaving it in for longer than a few days (a week max!) because it is perishable and you'll want it to be fresh.

on 3/26/2014 12:34:00 PM

Oatmeal has saved my skin almost single-handedly. I used the bubzbeauty technique like a lot of others on MUA.

One thing I highly recommend if you find that oatmeal makes your skin dry or scaly is to simply mix a bit of organic honey in after saturating the oatmeal in your hand. This has made all the difference! The honey gently buffs the skin, and is very anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. When I used just oatmeal, my skin would get irritated and dry. Now I have smooth soft skin.

I also found that when I used just oatmeal, I suffered from pretty bad sebaceous filaments on my nose and cheeks. After mixing with honey, this went away completely.

Oatmeal and honey have greatly faded terrible hyper-pigmentation that had been building up over four or so years in just one month. I still have dark spots on my skin, but they are much lighter than before and some have disappeared completely.

on 2/3/2014 6:17:00 PM

Ever since I watched Bubzbeauty's video on using oatmeal as a mask (

, I've been devoted to using oatmeal as my skin washing routine, and this honestly changed how confident I feel about my facial skin. Although I don't have excessive breakouts, the small red pimples all around my forehead and cheeks make me feel very envious of other girls at my school with clear skin. But every time I use oatmeal to re hydrate my skin full of those good stuff (and no added chemicals!!), my skin instantly feels SOFTER, and BRIGHTER! All I have to do is grab a small hand full of dry rolled oats (I have the instant type, from Quaker), clench it under water so that the oats become saturated and soft with water, and then I rub it gently all over my face. The slight roughness of the oats helps exfoliate my skin, and the milky liquid that comes from the oats helps make my face so smooth. I've also heard that some people grind up the oats and use it as a powder, but I really prefer clenching it until water. Just make sure to have some sort of strainer to catch any loose oats before they fall down the drain.

Oatmeal is the best cleanser I have ever used. My skin washing routine now consists of nothing more than water and oatmeal (although I sometimes treat myself to other natural masks).

Please please try using oatmeal. It has never made me break out (and I have very thin and sensitive skin, like my mother) and it has so many awesome benefits.

on 1/24/2014 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love organic oatmeal, I use my oatmeal with some organic honey for a scrub/mask and it makes my skin SO soft, tones just heavenly. I swear by that mask, doesn't break me out and makes my skin look and feel wonderful!! (Buy organic so your skin won't soak up hormones and pesticides!)

on 1/16/2014 5:35:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I Tried This once and it clogged my stupid sink XD...but I like how it left my skin soft and not dry at all :) I will try it again for a while and see how things go.oh! grind it in a blender..

on 1/3/2014 11:40:00 PM

Ahhh so soothing to my irritated acne skin. I used to use regular sized oats and attempt to get it on my face, but I just recently bought finely grained oatmeal, which I found at whole foods in the section where they have all those bins of grains and rices, where you scoop it out into a bag. I tried a "Scottish" cut type, but that was too scratchy. The finely cut one is nice and gentle. I pour some in my hand, add a little water, mush it around, and gently place it all over my face. Then I will either rub it around my face and then wash off or leave it on for a while. I do this after washing my face with raw organic honey. It doesn't cure my acne (trying out Differin right now), but it doesn't dry me out like everything else in the world, and it keeps things calm. yay!

EDIT 3/16/15: I no longer wash my face with honey because i think it may have been causing cysts on my cheeks. And i gave up on differin about a year ago. But i continue to use the oatmeal mask wen things are inflamed and need soothing. Ive also recently added chamomile leaves to the oatmeal (just buy chamomile tea, WHICH SHOULD B THE ONLY INGREDIENT IN THE LIST, and rip open the tea bag). it aids in healing and is also soothing!

on 12/25/2013 10:22:00 PM

I love this stuff SO much. i have moderatley dry and (at times) very dehydrated skin and this has proven to be the most thorough and gentle cleanser i have EVER found- and i have tried ALOT (i currently have 7 face cleansers that I am trying to use up, lol).

The way that i like to use mine is that i first stir in a tiny little rice bowl (the kind you find in asian stores) about 1-2 teaspoon (the one that came with the little bowl) and i add water or toner, and depending how dry my skin is, a few drops of oil. While i let that sit and let the oatmeal get soft and slippery, i remove my makeup by massaging my face with argan/coconut/camelia/rice bran oil (whichever i fancy that day). I wipe this oil off and begin to massage my skin with the oats. I then use my clarasonic as though it were a regular face wash. i rinse and pat dry, swipe with a toner while still wet and then seal my skin with a cream/ and or oil depending on how dry it is that day.

As far as storage and preperation goes, I grind up my oats until they are a fine powder and put them in a mason jar in my bathroom. I also Love to mix in dehydrated fruit powder and dried coconut milk. I like to add oils and use teas or toners instead of water. I also like to mix in honey and turmeric for skin brightening mask. The mixtures a positively endless!

I also LOVE the fact that I can mix it as i need it- ergo its most potent and freshly made. As someone who tries to live naturally and simply this is a big plus for me!

I hope this helps someone!

on 12/18/2013 3:13:00 PM

Could I love oatmeal more!!! Aahhh this makes my skin SOFT. And does the cleansing part well enough too. Since I dont like washing my face in the morning (cuz you just wash away all the beneficial acids and oils that your skin had made up all night) this is definetly something that I would like to give a try. It is reaalllyyy gentle and works great for skin. (And yummy as a breakfast)

on 12/8/2013 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I soaked organic whole raw oats in a glass of water for 2 hours. After a quick stir, i drained out the oats leaving the oatmeal "milk" in a glass. Using a round cotton pad, I applied a very wet layer to my irritated, red, dry, flaky skin. I felt immediate soothing. I kept reapplying throughout the day and by late afternoon my skin felt right back to normal. This is highly remarkable for me, as I live in a frigid extremely dry climate and I suffer from eczema and dermatitis on my face. I was very happy to notice that all the redness had been alleviated. My skin felt calmed, soothed and lightly moisturized. I will continue to use this "toner" as often as necessary.

Popular Masks