December 20, 2014 | 1571 users online

Fragrances - The Body Shop - White Musk Line

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 1:42:00 AM More reviews by happygirl1

I just bought the perfume oil, and I love love love it. It isn't a gross/plasticky/cheap musky scent. It's rich, intoxicating in a captivating way, yet soft enough to not overpower anything or anyone. It stays pretty close to the skin, but I notice that when I warm up, it can subtlely linger. It was $16, which is reasonable for the amount - since its an oil and the lasting power is very good. I layered the Vanilla perfume oil over it, and it is a fantastic combination! Great both layered, or alone. I should note that I don't care for the EDT. It's not as cozy as the oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by retaildrone

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I started wearing this at the tender age of eleven. I loved it. It made me feel like an adult. I purchased a tiny bottle of this recently to see if I still liked it. It smells exactly how I remember it, but it's just too powdery for me anymore. I'm a little sad, because I wanted a wave of nostalgia. Instead I just got nauseated and a headache.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2009 2:06:00 AM More reviews by ontariogirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Years ago I recieved a beautiful gift basket filled with white musk bath products...soap and lotion and a candle....I loved it so much I purchased it for myself again....somehow over the years I forgot how much I like this scent. I would not even use a purfume after bathing or showering in the morning as I wanted this scent to linger. Since reading about this again I went and got the oil and it is beautiful.....It is light and airy and I feel sexy. Usually I dont like musk smells but this white musk is so different....I have to hide my bottle as my 15 yr old loves it too and I often find it in her bathroom. I am going to get her , her own bottle as soon as I am in the body shop again.....which I bet will be soon....

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2009 11:30:00 PM More reviews by kinkaju

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received this as a gift many years ago and really loved it. I had a perfume oil in a small green glass bottle and I used every drop. I think the scent is a warm, buttery, sexy skin musk but it also has that cleanness that I associate with "white musks." I guess I am just a fan of white musks as I find I am attracted to other fragrances that have the same element in them. The Body Shop White Musk will always be my original starting point though since it was the first for me. Body Fantasies has a Clean White Musk scent that I think is similar to this, although that White Musk perfume oil had this gorgeous and sensuous depth that I haven't found in anything else. It seemed to melt right into my skin and became this sexy and almost indescribable scent and I could not stop sniffing my wrists. This is something you need to try for yourself.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 8:32:00 PM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Everyone who says "sexy" is spot-on.

Everyone who says "comforting" or "soft" is also spot-on.
Sounds like an oxymoron, right?
It's beautiful, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2009 11:13:00 PM More reviews by CocoCabana

I really love this fragrance. Its softly feminine and has a hint of childhood in it. The initial spritz smells to me more like baby powder, but once it dries down it turns into this beautiful sophisticated vanilla thats hard to describe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 8:52:00 PM More reviews by CatherineSolo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I always go back to this scent. It is soft, feminine, and natural. Absolutely gorgeous without being over powering. Plus they use cruelty free musk, which is great. Overall I think this is a great scent (and this is coming from a girl who NEVER wears musks, only florals!)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2008 7:38:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

i have this both in EDT and perfume oil. White musk smells exactly like the soap I used when I was a kid, so to me it's the smell of bedtime stories, mom's laundry, my cute bathroom towels, and a lot more precious moments of childhood. I often use it over those care-free weekends when not going anywhere or seeing anyone, and just want to smell clean and fresh like a kid after a happy shower.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2008 11:54:00 PM More reviews by rebelwithcause

Smells fantastic. I've been wearing this for years and it is great for those who want a subtle, clean, yet slightly mysterious fragrance.

One note of caution is that since it is so subtle, if you are someone who wants a bit more longevity, I would really recommend purchasing the shower gel, lotion, soap, etc. if you want the fragrance to last.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2008 3:41:00 PM More reviews by yuckyuks

I intended to wait a while before writing this review but on my fourth day of wearing this I can't wait any longer. I love it. If that changes, I'll edit this review immediately - but for now, I'm sold.

I encountered this perfume through Makeupalley and headed straight over to The Body Shop after reading glowing reviews. I hadn't been there in years, so thank you MUA! As soon as I smelled it, I recognized White Musk as the scent I'd once smelled on a woman rushing by me on a New York City street which I'd never been able to forget. It's hard to describe that sensory, emotional moment when your nose is unexpectedly confronted by a smell it loves, but it's a moment where everything stops. Because we were hurriedly crossing the street in opposite directions (and because I was momentarily stunned), I never got to ask her what she was wearing.

But I never forgot. I smelled nearly everything at Sephora until my nose got sick. I searched possible descriptions on forums online. I couldn't place my finger on it - was it the smell of violets? I'd heard of a perfume made in a South American country based on violets, which some women loved so much they hoarded it during their visits to sneak into America. Perhaps that's what it was? It wasn't the kind of smell you would find in Sephora - a little too simple, maybe, and more direct.

Well thanks to MUA, I have it. Wearing it now, I'd say it strikes me as a little powdery, definitely some lavender, and close to the skin. I usually hate the smell of baby powder so I'm surprised not to be bothered by the powdery aspect, but this scent makes me want to sink into it. This scent makes me think of people falling in love.

Someone mentioned this smells like a baby, another that it makes them think grandmother. I'd say just go smell it - try it on, see if you love it. It's a comforting smell I felt immediately at home with, putting it on my body. Does that make sense? I think a lot of perfumes make me feel like I'm putting something foreign on my body, trying to associate an exotic identity with myself that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. This one is me but with a deeper, more inviting tone. Had I not tried it due to negative reviews, I wouldn't have this in-love experience I'm having right now. I've been told over the past few days by a few strangers that I smell good, so no worries in that department.

As a reference point, I've been attracted to Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue, Ralph Lauren's Blue, Caswell-Massey's Lily of the Valley, Anna Sui's Dolly Girl, and Armani's Code (though none of them ever got me like White Musk). Maybe if you like those you'll like this too.

I bought the perfume oil and eau de toilette (EDT), though I mostly just wear the oil on my wrists and chest. A little goes a long way for me, as I think perfume is best played subtly. I've been using two drops of it in the morning, and if I need a pick-me-up later in the day I'll add a drop more of the oil and maybe spritz the EDT in my hair. I think it's moderately long-lasting, and the smell doesn't go funny on me. If anything, it gets deeper. (EDIT, 11/6/2008: Don't expect the potency of other fragrance oils with this one. It fades after 6-8 hours on my skin, and doesn't "stay pungent" like many fragrance oils do. This is a negative positive - positive because you won't overdo it (it's easy with overwhelming fragrance oils), but negative because I love this scent and might kind of like it to stay potent throughout the day.) Like others have said, it's a smell that I don't think would offend anyone, and those it doesn't offend will love it.

The oil is $24.00 for 1 fl. oz, which is pretty cheap for a perfume (especially considering how long the oil will last, as a few drops is all you need). The other forms are of a similar price range, although I'd point you over to The Body Shop website to check that out. The rest is information from their website, describing the fragrance:

-----------------------------------------------------

Fragrance personality: Feminine, sensual, irresistible. This long-lasting, soft and velvety musk scent is the perfect balance between sexy and classic.

Family: floral musky

Notes: Top notes: velvety musk, floral lily, sensual ylang ylang, with hints of fresh galbanum and basil

Middle notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily, rose

Base notes: velvety musk, oriental jasmine, floral lily, iris, rose, sweet vanilla, fresh amber, patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver, fruity peach

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No