April 17, 2014 | 1804 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by tkap917

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thank you sweet little baby Jesus! NYC in Sheer Red is perfection. I can't tell you how long I've searched for the perfect red lipstick. They're either too orangey or too scary red but this is perfect for every day even at the office. One swipe gives you a nice red flush. Add a few more swipes for a solid red for a night out. It's a blue toned red so it's darker than the candy apple reds out there that many women, myself included, don't feel comfortable wearing. This goes nicely with my light neutral skin but it would go lovely with a deeper skin tone as well. Very versatile (and did I mention it's only $0.99!! I'm a sucker for a bargain!). The only bone I have to pick with this item is the packaging. I've never liked how the NYC lipsticks stick up out of the tube and you have to place the cap carefully over it so as to not knick the product. Besides that, I'm in love with this lipstick.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by KeyWestBum

I found it. It's a perfect red for scaredy cats. I'm not comfortable with red lips but I get so tired of my reliable nudes and pinks and wanted a change. Sheer Red is the perfect shade for me and my comfort level. Sheer Red is well, sheer although you can layer this to acheive better pigment. I find that this shade has pretty good coverage w/ two layers and I do have pigmented lips. I found that this lipstick doesn't bleed and it compliments my skintone (medium, tans easily & currently wearing NC40). Sheer Red is a brick red with a slight cool undertone. I believe Sheer Red is a universal red that will compliment most skintones. The price is seriously a steal it's only a buck. I will repurchase this and recommend it to all. The only con I find with this lipstick is that is has poor staying power. I get at most one hour w/out eating/drinking with this lipstick.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by anywayreally

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't really have anything to complain about, because the lipstick is called "sheer red." But this is basically a tinted lip balm. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers are more pigmented than this. At least this doesn't burn my lips with peppermint oil. But I won't buy this again. If you want a good cheap true red, get the same brand of lipstick in Retro Red. That's what I was trying to buy today, but they were sold out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by MissJulie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a beautiful lipstick. Why? Because its color is gorgeous, but it's NOT very pigmented, hence the name "Sheer Red." You'd think that would be a turnoff, but it makes the lipstick is even better. It creates a beautiful, classy stain or wash of medium red that seems appropriate for all skintones (maybe more for wamer ones as it's slightly brickish red). Plus, it's never drying, doesn't slide around, dry into lip cracks, or settle onto outer lip lines. Over a lip balm, it looks slightly glossy (not matte) yet very mature.
My only problem with this lippie is its lack of staying power, but reapplying it isn't a pain or anything. I'll definitely be repurchasing this, and for .99 cents? Yes please!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by sassykzt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow- 99 Cents! As others have mentioned this is not sheer,but semi-opaque. A few swipes and the color is well saturated. Nice amount of moisture in this l/s. To further the length of wear I applied and blotted twice. Still left my lips fairly moist. Sheer red is a brick red-- very close to MAC's Dubonnet ( which does dry my lips out if I don't apply a balm after an hour). Left a stain on my lips after 6 hrs. and a few glasses of wine. The smell is mild, somewhat fruity and dissipates after a few mins. The only con is the packaging. OK, I admit I'm a makeup snob and love the packaging of my Armani , Guerlain and Tom Ford l/s! But this color and texture is gorgeous!! Took off one lippie for the fragile, clear plastic cap (something that won't last if dropped on a hard surface).

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2011 11:16:00 PM More reviews by AubreyLenore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love wearing red lipstick, but there are many occasions when wearing bright red lipstick is inappropriate. Enter N.Y.C. Sheer Red. It's a cool-toned brick red. With one swipe, it gives a natural-looking red lip that's very wearable. With a few more coats, it's a more dramatic color that's quite flattering. It feels comfortable on and has a slightly glossy finish. If I put too many coats, it does get a bit slick and can smear easily, so watch out. I like the smell; I think it smells like grapefruit. But I know not everyone like scented lipsticks. The one major problem is the packaging. The plastic cap is easily cracked, and since the lipstick doesn't twist all the way down it is very easy to sheer the top of it off with the lid. But I guess it's cheap for a reason.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2011 6:57:00 PM More reviews by leeli86

This is a really nice toned down red that's everyday appropriate. There are a lot of pluses to this lippie, the price (less than a dollar), the formulation is smooth and moisturizing, the packaging is cheap but functional. My only complaient is that the wear time, like with a lot of moisturizing lipsticks , kind of sucks. I definitely recommend layering this over a lipliner to get the longest wear possible. I think this shade would also be a good baby step into reds for those that don't regularly rock screaming retro red lipstick but want to branch out from the pink/nude lip. Addmittedly I'm one of those girls who likes the full on red lip but sheer red is much more work appropriate while still giving a bit of colour to the face. Overall it's a good buy and if you decide red is just not for you you're only out 97 cents or so.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2011 10:19:00 PM More reviews by waffle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh, I had high hopes for this one. This was recommended to me as a good "starter" red for my PPP, cool-toned self. I'm used to a natural, light rose lip, so I was hoping this was a sheer, true red. But it's much more opaque than I was expecting (I guess I was expecting like a pigmented lip balm). Nars La Dolce Vita lipstick is sheerer, in comparison. And as for the color -- it was a dark fuchsia on me. Bleh. And the smell! Even though I applied 1 very light coat (and then wiped it completely off), the scent of cheap fruity grape lingered. Such a disappointment! I really wanted this to work.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by divinei

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I picked this lipstick up after hearing a YouTube Guru's review. It is NOT sheer, so I feel the name is misleading. This lipstick feels creamy to me; therefore, the staying power is not great, but it doesn't dry out my lips either.

The color is fabulous on my pale, slighty yellow-toned skin. How I like to apply this: lip balm, lipstick, blot, lip balm. This process makes it okay for day or work. At night, I wear it full strength with clear lip liner.

I like this shade quite a bit, and have recommended it to friends. I would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2011 12:25:00 PM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Beautiful color but doesn't stay on lips long enough to enjoy it.