September 22, 2014 | 1870 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2012 12:13:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

It's true! I got a wild hair to wear red lipstick for the first time ever (blame the episode of "Marple" set in the '40's) and tried a total of 7 lipsticks before settling on this one. Somehow it's not as outrageous as reds like Retro Red (which is actually a lovely color and finish, just sooo bright it's difficult for me to feel okay about wearing). It still definitely says "red" though.

I have pale skin with slightly yellow undertones and deep henna-red hair that looks auburn in some light, ruby red in others and has distinct winey violet lowlights in yet others. So finding a bold red that I really felt worked was a challenge, but this one does it. It makes my skin look very fair and my eyes look icy blue and the more I wear it the more I like it.

It *is* sheer like the name says, but I don't find that it disappears in the blink of an eye. The main difference between it and the less-sheer reds that I tried seems to be that it leaves less of a stain on my lips after blotting or wiping. It stays on a good couple hours and doesn't chap or dry out my lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2012 12:26:00 PM More reviews by nabila714

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

really cheap!!! only 99 cents! and i got this as part of a BOGO 50% off so i got this for 50 cents. not only is it super cheap its also really good quality. and as the name suggests it is a sheer red. you can def build this up with just another swipe to a full red opacity. the lasting power isn;t that long but its not as short as maybe a lip butter. If you're afraid to go full red lips, then def try this out. i seriously think this is a universally flattering red!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by KatzeMadchen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is THE totally affordable and easily accessible red lipstick to ladies of ALL skin tones who are looking for a less bold/in your face red. The color is a buildable neutral brick red. And if you have quite pigmented lips like I do, the shade can get quite deep yet still look appropriate due to the subdued color tone.

This is a PERFECT lipstick color for me because I'm very fair with cool undertones and love the retro look that a red lip gives but was overpowered in more bright reds like Wet N' Wild Spotlight REd and Red Velvet. Even though those are cool toned, such glowing almost obnoxiously bright colors looked way too stark against my skin, definitely inappropriate anywhere other than dressy nighttime for me. So to those with very pale skin tones like me who think they look a little ridiculous in most reds, TRY THIS! (What do you lose at .99c?)

And I give a 5/5 for the packaging because I'm one of those girls who loves to see the lipstick colors displayed when I'm not using them and are about to sort through them. Other people like the lipstick color hidden, so this is totally a matter of personal preference.

I can't comment on the staying power since I've been wearing this for 5 minutes, but due to its name 'sheer' and 'moisturizing', you probably have to keep your eyes open with this one and be prepared to re-apply maybe every 2 hours.

My searching for a doable tame red lipstick is over! I will surely buy again over and over. ~

(The overall rating is 4/5 simply because I could have done with a slightly more cool toned shade, but this is practically perfect and every skin tone would find this shade more than adequate, if not very flattering)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by etherpowered

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm one of those women that continues to buy red lipsticks and nail polishes even though I have waaaay too many already. I bought this without my usual pangs of guilt because it's a buck.
Who knew the cheapest red lipstick I have ever purchased would be my favorite!
This has blue undertones in darker light and appears more berry colored in the sun. It also has a strong artificial berry scent. No staying power - keep it by your desk because you'll need to reapply it constantly.
A good red for pale dolls - doesn't overpower the face - I've been wearing this with no eye makeup and I've gotten some compliments!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by tkap917

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thank you sweet little baby Jesus! NYC in Sheer Red is perfection. I can't tell you how long I've searched for the perfect red lipstick. They're either too orangey or too scary red but this is perfect for every day even at the office. One swipe gives you a nice red flush. Add a few more swipes for a solid red for a night out. It's a blue toned red so it's darker than the candy apple reds out there that many women, myself included, don't feel comfortable wearing. This goes nicely with my light neutral skin but it would go lovely with a deeper skin tone as well. Very versatile (and did I mention it's only $0.99!! I'm a sucker for a bargain!). The only bone I have to pick with this item is the packaging. I've never liked how the NYC lipsticks stick up out of the tube and you have to place the cap carefully over it so as to not knick the product. Besides that, I'm in love with this lipstick.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by KeyWestBum

I found it. It's a perfect red for scaredy cats. I'm not comfortable with red lips but I get so tired of my reliable nudes and pinks and wanted a change. Sheer Red is the perfect shade for me and my comfort level. Sheer Red is well, sheer although you can layer this to acheive better pigment. I find that this shade has pretty good coverage w/ two layers and I do have pigmented lips. I found that this lipstick doesn't bleed and it compliments my skintone (medium, tans easily & currently wearing NC40). Sheer Red is a brick red with a slight cool undertone. I believe Sheer Red is a universal red that will compliment most skintones. The price is seriously a steal it's only a buck. I will repurchase this and recommend it to all. The only con I find with this lipstick is that is has poor staying power. I get at most one hour w/out eating/drinking with this lipstick.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by anywayreally

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't really have anything to complain about, because the lipstick is called "sheer red." But this is basically a tinted lip balm. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers are more pigmented than this. At least this doesn't burn my lips with peppermint oil. But I won't buy this again. If you want a good cheap true red, get the same brand of lipstick in Retro Red. That's what I was trying to buy today, but they were sold out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by MissJulie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a beautiful lipstick. Why? Because its color is gorgeous, but it's NOT very pigmented, hence the name "Sheer Red." You'd think that would be a turnoff, but it makes the lipstick is even better. It creates a beautiful, classy stain or wash of medium red that seems appropriate for all skintones (maybe more for wamer ones as it's slightly brickish red). Plus, it's never drying, doesn't slide around, dry into lip cracks, or settle onto outer lip lines. Over a lip balm, it looks slightly glossy (not matte) yet very mature.
My only problem with this lippie is its lack of staying power, but reapplying it isn't a pain or anything. I'll definitely be repurchasing this, and for .99 cents? Yes please!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 11:37:00 PM More reviews by sassykzt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow- 99 Cents! As others have mentioned this is not sheer,but semi-opaque. A few swipes and the color is well saturated. Nice amount of moisture in this l/s. To further the length of wear I applied and blotted twice. Still left my lips fairly moist. Sheer red is a brick red-- very close to MAC's Dubonnet ( which does dry my lips out if I don't apply a balm after an hour). Left a stain on my lips after 6 hrs. and a few glasses of wine. The smell is mild, somewhat fruity and dissipates after a few mins. The only con is the packaging. OK, I admit I'm a makeup snob and love the packaging of my Armani , Guerlain and Tom Ford l/s! But this color and texture is gorgeous!! Took off one lippie for the fragile, clear plastic cap (something that won't last if dropped on a hard surface).

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2011 11:16:00 PM More reviews by AubreyLenore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love wearing red lipstick, but there are many occasions when wearing bright red lipstick is inappropriate. Enter N.Y.C. Sheer Red. It's a cool-toned brick red. With one swipe, it gives a natural-looking red lip that's very wearable. With a few more coats, it's a more dramatic color that's quite flattering. It feels comfortable on and has a slightly glossy finish. If I put too many coats, it does get a bit slick and can smear easily, so watch out. I like the smell; I think it smells like grapefruit. But I know not everyone like scented lipsticks. The one major problem is the packaging. The plastic cap is easily cracked, and since the lipstick doesn't twist all the way down it is very easy to sheer the top of it off with the lid. But I guess it's cheap for a reason.