October 20, 2014 | 958 users online

Cleansers - Shiseido - The Skincare Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by shazzar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Interesting interpretation of "gentle". This cleanser very effectively removes makeup but completely strips skin at the same time. It leaves a weird "squeaky" residue too. Awful.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 5:14:00 AM More reviews by shing7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this product for over 10 years and love it! I used to have bad breakouts, which is what lead me to try this product. It worked great for my sensitive skin, and your skin will feel really soft afterwards.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2012 4:11:00 AM More reviews by KirRoyal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used this cleanser pretty much non-stop for about 5 years, I guess, and I've always loved it. It was extremely gentle with my very dry/sensitive skin, it removed makeup very nicely, it left my skin smooth and clean.
I don't know what happened lately with the brand (or maybe in my country we just get a different quality) but my last tube was... not so good. It didn't remove my makeup as it used to, and the skin afterwards wasn't so smooth. I am quite disappointed, because I had to look for a better cleanser (which I've found), so my feelings about this foam are now very confused.
Was it a fluke with that one tube? Is it now a trend? Is it because of the country I live in that the quality has changed? Maybe at the store they gave me an out of date product?
I don't know. But I still remember mostly good things about this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2012 5:14:00 AM More reviews by antii

This is an absolutely fantastic cleanser!!!!!! I wear light to moderate make up on a daily basis, so I use this cleanser at night to clean my face entirely. It does a great job at cleansing my entire face without stripping it of its moisture! The main thing I love about this cleaner is that you only need a tiny amount to work up a frothy lather which is really exciting because you end up using a lot less of the product and therefore are able to use it over a long period of time. The packaging is great, the smell is not overbearing and, although its rather pricey, it makes my skin look absolutely amazing. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is when I don't use the cleaner in conjunction with the softener and moisturiser, it makes my skin feel tight (as if I've washed it with soap) but despite that, it does wonders to my skin. I wake up looking even-toned and bright!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2012 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Tirje980

It is an amazing cleanser. I was using The Skincare from shiseido and i really love this cleanser. I am still using this even thou i switched my skincare regime to lancome. It cleans perfectly well and my face is brighter and softer. However i think it is too expensive for a cleanser. I can never justify spending so much on something you rinse off your face. After i finish this i will go back to the the combination of Nivea makeup remover and LUSH angels which work just fine.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by mimepanda

This has been my go-to cleanser for several years now. It's not the cheapest so I tend to switch back between this one, the Vichy acne cleanser and and Estee Lauder one. This cleanser foams up really well so you only need a little bit at a time and one tube lasts a long time. It cleans quite thoroughly and I always feel as if I could slough off a layer of dead skin every time I use this. However in the winter this can be a little drying and my face feels a bit tight afterwards. In the summer though this is absolutely perfect. It's gentle and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, helped to balance everything out while trying to handle my acne last year. Overall an excellent cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Zoeyxx

I switch back and forth a few times a month with this cleanser and my other Shiseido pureness cleanser, when i have quite bad break outs i would use the pureness one and when i have good skin days i would use this cleanser. Amazing and gentle cleanser, foams up nicely and one tube goes a long way. definitely worth the money, i will not repurchase because i would like to try other cleansers after this...but who knows i might come crawling back to this once in a while!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by rebonjour

Me: Acne-prone, easily irritated skin, prone to dehydration, tending towards cyst-like breakouts when using oil-based products, scars easily.

A cosmetician gave me a sample of this cleanser a few months ago when I was dealing with acne-prone skin that had been severely dehydrated from regular benzoyl peroxide use without an effective moisturizer. A friend, who is also a cosmetician, warned me that the Shiseido line cause her to break out with huge acne cysts, and instead encouraged me towards Avene's gentle cleanser. I found that product to wreck havoc on my skin, causing oiliness, cysts, and stinging. After discontinuing my use of the Avene product and normalizing my skin with a good moisturizer and the BP, I went off in search of a better cleansing product and decided I would give the Shiseido sample a try.

The product comes in a pearlescent tube, with a neutral scent and very creamy and rich feel. I was initially concerned about the product causing acne, as most creamy cleansers I have used have resulted in one or two cyst-like pimples around my chin area. Surprisingly, after two months of using this product, I have not experienced any breakouts aside from a single blackhead that turned into a very tiny white pimple (about the size of the eye of an embroidery needle) on the side of my nose.

From the first use, I was amazed at how balanced my skin felt. Most cleansers have either left my skin feeling oily and dirty, or squeaky clean and stripped of softness. This is very much akin to shampoos - sulfate-free ones tend to leave my hair greasy and flat, while ones with sulfate make my hair "too" clean and have a drying effect. However, this cleansing foam produced a beautifully clean sensation that I had not experienced before in a cleanser.

I initially applied the product using a loofah to exfoliate my skin and product a rich foamy lather. Although some people may argue that it is too harsh for the skin, I currently use a Salux cloth (very gently) to exfoliate my skin and make this cleanser foam. Shiseido also makes a skincare brush that can be used for the same purpose, though it looks a lot like a scrub brush for dishes to me, and isn't particularly appealing for this reason. I'd imagine this would also work wonderfully with a Clarisonic. Hot water has produced the best results for me in terms of removing all of the cleanser from my face, and I feel that exfoliating is a necessary step in the cleansing process when using this cleanser to avoid any clogged pores. It produces a nice, dense foam with a relatively neutral scent. I am able to use the cleanser directly on top of my eyelids and eyelashes without irritating my eyes.

It is somewhat expensive for a tube, about $35, which will last about two months based on twice-daily use. This is the only cleanser that has kept my skin appropriately balanced and prevented the dehydration that occurs with most other cleansers I've tried. If you haven't gone the Cetaphil route, I'd recommend you try it first and see if the basic cleanser works for you, instead of spending the amount of money required for the Shiseido brand. However, if you've tried several cleansers without success and are in need of something pure, simple, and soothing, I'd recommend spending the extra $10 - $15 on this product.

BOTTOM LINE: A perfect cleanser for all skin types. Doesn't cause acne, as long as you are being proactive about treating your pimples with benzoyl peroxide, salycilic acid, or whatever anti-acne agent works best for you. Expensive but worth the price in how long the product lasts for (about 2 months on 2x daily use), and the rich skinfeel of the cleanser. Produces a luxurious lather rather than a runny, watered-down couple of bubbles. The closest to "as soft as a baby's bottom" as my face has ever been. I get several compliments (weirdly) on how soft my skin looks and feels as a result of using this cleanser. Potential HG.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 3:02:00 AM More reviews by renastar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser but it's too pricey. I've been looking for cheaper drugstore alternatives; however, I have yet to find one that measures up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2011 9:17:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

Expensive, yes. But gentle and creamy with very mild foaming that leaves my skin clean and soft. I use it with other Shiseido products and Renova and my skin has never been better. I am a 31 year old combo skin light tan Asian with fine lines, not prone to breakouts. I use a dime size amount and rub gently for 60 secs on my wet face before rinsing clean. This removes every molecule of foundation (from TM to Revlon Colorstay) and sunscreen without leaving my face dry. I will repurchase again and again since I find value in the $29 cleanser that lasts 4 months, contributes to my current skin condition (I am VERY happy with my skin right now!), and compliments my current regimen. I recommend to other combo skin guys and girls out there!