January 26, 2015 | 1860 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2014 2:49:00 AM More reviews by ayoocynthiagee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

bought a mini one and it doesnt irrtate my sensitive, acne prone skin (im oily too lol) and removes my makeup without over drying my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by lalalovee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I actually do like this makes your skin feel soft

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2014 5:09:00 AM More reviews by karenzxc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got recommended this by a dermatologist ten years ago and proceeded to use it for the next eight years. In that time I had constant acne, even after using roaccutane. I gave up using this product and my skin has never been clearer. I don't think it is cleansing enough to get rid of excess sebum and dead skin cells on which bacteria breed.

The smell is off putting but since its supposed to be good for sensitive skin I could live with that however looking at the ingredients there is nothing natural about this product. The only reason I used it for so long was I put a doctor on the spot by asking, who knows what other specialists would recommend...

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2014 10:22:00 AM More reviews by alioo3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Meh. A mild cleanser that didn't do anything for my pores. I like the pump dispenser and that you can 'lock' it shut but next time I would go for something a bit more effective for my face. Would probably be good for people who have severe breakouts and need something gentle.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by jgoz17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Let me start by first describing my skin. My skin is sensitive, dehydrated, acne-prone, combination of oily-dry, and cracks very easily. The reason why my skin is at this horrible state is from using different, hash products and oils such as grapeseed oil,jojoba oil, castor oil, and many more (and I have used one or two products at a time, consistently for a few months or so!). I was always careful to use one product- to see if it caused acne, redness, dryness, etc. I also used Retin A for a time period of six months without any oils, or exfoliating products (when your on that, you can't use oils since many are drying- you'd think they are hydrating, but no they cause flakes, cracks, etc.) Anyways, moving on to Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Right now, I am on a strict regimen to fix this dehydrated skin. What I do is use this cleaner every two days or three days, and on other days, I do nothing, I don't use any water or any product. Water can dry your skin out, and cleansing too often is also drying. I believe that this cleanser is THE ONLY CLEANSER that does not dry out the skin! People are saying that SLS is in it, but if you do your research properly, SLS is only an irritant if you keep it on your skin for long periods of time, just like any other ingredient. There is a saying- too much of anything is bad for your skin! My skin is slowly becoming better. I have noticed that by eliminating everything, and using only this, that my skin is not red anymore, it feels comfortable, and I hardly break out. I use to think that...between this and jojoba oil...that THIS WAS THE CULPRIT! I WAS WRONG! Oils, waxes, essential oils all made my skin horrible. I should have listened to my dermatologist by staying on this! If you have skin like mine, do what I do- wash once a night or every few nights. If you need a moisturizer, choose Vaniply Ointment or Aquaphor Ointment, do not use creams or lotions because they will break you out. Dehydrated skin produces a lot of oils as it is (since the barrier is damaged). If you have dehydrated skin, and you're using this twice a day, I advise you to stop. Any face wash used twice a day, will break you out, if you have dehydrated skin.

Now for people who use makeup, I don't think this would work for you. I applied makeup to my hand, one with silicones such as dimethicone. The cleanser did not remove it after two washes. And IF IT TAKES YOU MORE THAN ONE WASH TO REMOVE MAKEUP, that is a problem! If you over wash your skin, you over strip it, thus making it more oily later on, causing acne. If this cleanser cannot remove dimethicone, think about all the other creams/lotions/ointments it can't remove, especially ones with petroleum, wax, or other emolients. This cleanser is for someone who is on acne, prescription products or people that use light lotions with glycerin. It isn't meant to remove makeup or heaving creams.

The reason why I removed one lippie is because I am not a fan of the prop. glycol. That enhances penetration, but in a very small amount, it doesn't do harm, and is quite helpful for getting rid of bacteria, associated with acne. The SLS isn't a concern for me because I did my research and have spoken to many dermatologists about this ingredient. This ingredient gets a bad reputation due to other sellers trying to promote other products, saying they are "SLS free." All I know is that if my skin doesn't feel tight, dry or red, that's a good thing. It feels great to wake up in the morning, not red or dry.I feel like the fatty alcohols which are similar to what our skin has, makes this cleanser effective at healing the skin naturally. Stearic Acid, which is what is inside this cleanser is amazing at hydrating the skin naturally. Also, I forgot to mention....I have used this once a night or twice a day (morning/night) and I'm still not dry, but I advise to never wash your face more than once a day or a few times, for a whole week.

PS If a face wash burns your face, eyes, or lips, get rid of it. That means it causes irritation. So if this burns you, get rid of it. If a cleanser causes a tight feeling, get rid of it. Remember, there isn't one product that suits EVERYONE. Just because this works for me, doesn't mean it works for everyone, but give this product a fair chance. Use it for a month without anything else. You can't review a product if you have other products/chemicals in your routine. Sometimes, two products together cause a reaction. If this product ALONE causes redness, dryness, tightness, or stinging..THEN TOSS IT! All I know is that THIS BY ITSELF MAKES MY SKIN SO MUCH BETTER. Plus I have great under eye skin compared to many women my age and I owe it to this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by pk1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I don't know why this is called a "gentle" skin cleanser when it stings my face and i attribute the stinging to its alcohol content.

Keep in mind that this also contains SLS. Not good for our skin. Why are dermatologists still recommending this?

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 3:38:00 AM More reviews by candymarie2

This is my favorite cleanser I have ever tried. I've tried so many different kinds and have never found one I love until now. I have normal skin. My favorite way to use this is to apply it to dry skin and massage in. It goes on like you're applying a thin lotion to your face. I rub it in and wipe off with a warm cloth. It removes makeup easily when done this way! It leaves your skin feeling so soft and not tingly or tight like other face washes. I usually then follow up with using this with my clarisonic for a deep clean. I feel like this works good with the clarisonic and leaves your face feeling amazing. It doesn't lather up so it's kind of different but this stuff works!! I will defiantly repurchase! I got a big bottle with a pump for like 9 bucks...it comes with so much product that it's a better deal than the other drugstore brand face washes. Can't say enough good things about this!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by ponyskin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My doctor recommended this to me for my acne prone skin. I used it twice a day, as a wash in the morning and leaving it on in the evenings. While my skin felt soft when using it, I can't say it really did anything for my skin. Probably wont repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by keyshias34

Tried to love this cleanser but it's not for my skin. I really dislike the texture and it feels like its not properly cleaning my face. My skin looked congested and dull after using this, I really don't get the hype with this product, maybe my least favorite cleanser. I can only imagine trying to wash off makeup with this would be a complete fail. I switched right back to my Himalaya Turmeric and Neem face wash which is one of my favorites, it foams and natural ingredients its perfect, and my skin started to look a lot better.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by beatleday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this cleanser for 5 or more years and it's been pretty good to my skin. It is very gentle and my face usually doesn't feel dried out at all after washing it and I've battled some dry skin at times with other face washes. It doesn't do the best job cleaning out my pores though, it doesn't feel like a deep enough cleaning after wearing makeup. I recently decided I want to find something better, something just a gentle but deeper cleaning. The main reason for this is because there is sodium laureth sulfate in this product, which is a known skin irritant (even though I don't notice, my skin often does look kind of red and somewhat irritated at times.) I rather stay away from using SLS anywhere on my body. I just wish this product were more natural.