Retin A Micro

3.9

Retin-A Micro (tretinoin gel) microsphere, 0.1% and 0.04% w/w purified water, carbomer 974P (0.04% formulation), carbomer 934P (0.1% formulation), glycerin, disodium EDTA, propylene glycol, sorbic acid, PPG-20 methyl glucose ether distearate, cyclomethicone and dimethicone copolyol, benzyl alcohol, trolamine, and butylated hydroxytoluene.

on 12/30/2013 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

One of the best topical cream ive used... Yes, you'll break out fort the first month because it penetrates deep inside the skin... And brings out all the dirt and bacteria( maybe) inside that causes new pimple to form... For me it dries my pimple really fast then peel the dead skin that is on top of my face and brings out the new one, you'll see that even the dark spots are becoming less visible in the long run. I will buy this product again... 2 thumbs up for this product

on 12/12/2013 7:52:00 PM

Retin A has saved my skin and now that RAM is generic I got this right away. For me this works the best with less irritation then the cream and less dryness then the gel. I have this in the 0.1% because now since I have been using these products for over 2 years my skin is finally clear and able to handle a higher dose. Let me tell you as others have said it does get worse before it gets better. I swear it really does. If you use it minimally at night and moisturize the redness and flaking will be minimal compared to if you use to much. I learned that the hard way and was red and really dry for days. I now use this for its anti aging properties but apply like I would if I still had acne.

I wash with a milk or creme cleanser I do apply my toner and eye cream. I consider the eye cream area the place I don't want to put this product. Or by your nose it will make it super tender. Once my skin is dry about 20 minutes. I do apply a slight bit above my lip but a pin drop. The generic I have has a small tube opening so you don't waste product it's awesome! Any way I work from my forehead down skipping the areas that I don't need it. For me I apply CeravePM almost right after and have had no bad results. I have been doing it for years and it works for me. With this I am seeing more results and less irritation which, I am stoked about. My forehead lines and old scar is so minimal and my acne scars are almost gone. If I do get a monthly spot this product decimates it.

About an hour after the Cerave if I'm still feeling a little dry I'll use KORRES Yogurt Sleeping Mask. I also use Aha's and Mandelic Acid specifically to keep breakouts at bay and give my skin a rest from the RAM. I also got this for 20$ something on MyLashes4Less figure I say that for those who can't afford the co pay or like me my insurance won't cover it. I got it in 2 days and it's a 20gram tube which lasts me about a year the way I use it. So those of you with breakouts or if you're trying to fight time like me I can attest going on 3 years this product works! The only time I had an ill effect is when I put on too much. So stick with it if you're hating it because soon you will love it. I never thought I would love this stuff and I hated my bearded dragon look but all that goes away in time reveling awesome skin.:)

on 11/6/2013 2:39:00 PM

I used Retin A (not micro) years ago, and had terrible problems with flaking but had improved texture. Over time, I gave up on it, in particular when I had my two children since RAM is not recommended during pregnancy. I have been struggling for the past 10 years with clogged pores and lots of under skin bumps, along with general mild acne. I finally got it together and went to the derm and asked for Retin A. He prescribed the low-dose gel, RAM .04%. I started slowly and worked up to almost every night over a couple of months. The improvement in texture and clarity is dramatic on my chin and cheeks.

However the forehead, which is a real trouble area for me with lots of clogged pores and bumps under the skin, improved a bit -- but not enough to make me feel happy. I noticed that a reviewer here had recommended increasing the dose when you are acclimated to the low-strength version, so on a 6-month follow up with my derm, I requested RAM .1%. He advised me to use RAM .1% only on the areas where I felt it was needed and to stick with the lower strength for the cheeks and chin, which I am doing. In the evening, after cleansing, I put a small amount of RAM .1% on my forehead and down my nose. Then I use a small amount of RAM .04% on the rest of my face. So far so good, there is some smoothing and some evening of texture in my problem areas. I have only been on the RAM .1% for a couple of weeks, so I am hoping that over the next 5 months I will have better improvement on the forehead.

The great news is that RAM is now available in generic! So, while my original RAM .04% prescription cost a $40 co-pay (after I fought to have it covered at all) back in May 2013, the new prescription for RAM .1% cost only $10 co-pay in November 2013! Now that I am on RAM, I think I will keep using it forever.

The bottom line is that RAM is a godsend for those of us with slow cell turnover and clogged pores. Folks, give it a try (for at least 6 months) to see if it can help you. If you use it slowly and consistently and work up to the full dose, I bet you will be happy with the results!

UPDATE 3/10/14: I found some good benefit from the RAM, but a follow up visit to the dermatologist revealed that some of the bumps weren't responding because they aren't comedones, they are sebaceous hyperplasia. That's a huge bummer because that is a very difficult condition to treat. I have started adding Paula's Choice Resist BHA 9, and so far have had some improvement. I am going to review the PC BHA 9 separately. I hope this new regimin works and will update my review over time.

on 10/19/2013 9:05:00 PM

I'm into my second month of using Retin A Micro and it has made an amazing difference in my skin. I now use it every night. I wash my face and apply Cerave, then wait about half hour before applying the Retin A Micro. My pores have become noticeably smaller and my scars are fading away. I haven't had a break out in a few weeks now.

A little background. I am 25 years old, male, and have been dealing with acne since I was 17. My skin is also on the oilier side. I have used this product (or a similar Retinoid) when I was younger, but in hindsight it may not have worked because I was using it incorrectly, more on that later. A little more than a year ago, I was on accutane for five months and it was like a miracle drug, up to that point nothing really seemed to worked - including antibiotics... So getting off the pill was a little bittersweet. My skin was fine at least 6 months after but then I began to break out again. I was devastated and my dermatologist prescribing me Retin A Micro did not help my stress - since I remembered what it was like to use topical creams to fight acne before.

This time around though I was determined to find out everything I could before using Retin A Micro. I looked at these boards and found that people had success with applying it half an hour after washing their face and after using a moisturizer like Cerave. The first two weeks I would also use it only every other or third night. Another important element was only to use a pea sized amount, don't overdue it. The first month I did break out, sometimes 2-3 new whiteheads a day (luckily small and not cystic). It was not TOO bad because I think the accutane did a good job of wiping out any acne I had under my skin. I am well into my 7th week using it and have absolutely no regrets. My skin does peel SOMETIMES, but it's almost like a sunburn peel, as in it comes right off and does not leave any redness behind (an no sunburned skin pain). I have not had a single break out in almost three weeks. I also use a Clarisonic face brush 1-2 times a week to exfoliate any dead skin on my face. I feel this prevents my skin from peeling/flaking as much.

The 3rd/4th week I really did feel like this product was not working and I will have to get use to having a face full of acne again...Most will probably experience this so just push through it... Don't overdo it by applying more, just be patient and moisturize. I honestly think if this helped me, with my immensely acne prone skin, it should help MOST others with acne.

on 10/4/2013 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Ok let me first start out saying that retin -a mirco gel is amazing and it will make your skin beautiful. BELIEVE ME!

But I must warn you retin micro gel will break you out like crazy at first.You will truly truly fill like this product is not working. It brings everything up under your skin. Your skin will be flaky sore and full of pimples that will hurt. The only face wash you can use is cetaphil in the beginning.I hear people say they see results in a few DAYS. That is not possible. The first month u will have a serious breakout by the second month your face will start to get a little better.But it takes a FULL 12 weeks before you really see the results.

So whoever is on this medicine be encourage its not easy.But it definitely worth the wait

on 9/27/2013 11:52:00 PM

I was using this product on and off for the past two years. It was a disaster in the beginning because I was using it In conjunction with other pore clogging products. To make the story short, this product has made my skin looking better than it was. I use it twice a week and when it peels I use Aquaphor for a night or two.

on 9/10/2013 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

So about a month ago I broke out on my cheeks terribly. I went to the dermatologist and they said it was comedonal acne.They performed a pore cleansing, and prescribed Retin A micro for use every OTHER night. Acyana was also prescribed for every morning.

I was a little excited/nervous to try to Retin-A, just based off of different reviews here and other websites. I paid $40 for Retin A (with insurance)

The first week of using this medication (every other night) I first applied the Rein A and then followed with Cerave PM over it. I woke up to VERY dry skin. After I would wash my face, I applied acyana, moisturizer with spf 30 (neutrogena). Around 10AM every morming, my skin would just look so flakey and dry like i could peel the dead skin coming off from it. It really looked bad especially when I wear makeup to cover everything up in the first place. Also, my face broke out in even more small pimples and some inflamed pimples - disgusting :(

I started doing more research and I used a micro fiber cloth in order to take off the dead skin, and it did help. However, at this point of using the Retin A/Acayna mix my face was super sensitive and super dry. It hurt to touch. I made another appointment with my dermatologist and she agreed I needed to stop using both medications and just seriously hydrate my skin. She gave me epicream and bionect to mix and use everyday until my skin healed up.

So after about 2 weeks or so, I started back on Retin -A (only) every other night. I use it, but I put the Cerave PM FIRST and then apply the Retin-A. I also add some coconut oil over my face to help soothe it. No complaints so far, but its only been a week. No peeling, or drying effects. I want to stick it out because I still have the acne, and a bunch of hyperpigmentation left from the acne that errupted after using the Retin-A/Acyana duo before. I heard the result sof this product should be amazing. So lets hope so! I will follow up after a month or so and let you all know my progress.

on 8/28/2013 9:02:00 AM

Love it. Highly reccomend this miracle. I've used it for 6 nights and already the stubborn acne on my forehead is almost gone. It does sting a bit when I put it on my 30 minute dried skin, but I've been using apricot oil in the morning to protect against the crazy drying I've read about. I don't wash my face with a cloth any more, just warm water and ph balanced alba face wash. I used eclos moisturizer for a day, but it stung so bad when I put it on. Sunscreen too, hurt even more. So I'm off to find some better alternatives.

on 8/28/2013 1:26:00 AM

I have had bad blackheads && whiteheads for years . I've been on all the medicines my dermatologist could prescribe & I've tried all the over the counter products. This is the only product that has worked. Within a couple of weeks , my acne has gone down , some has disappeared , & when i put it on it feels so soft && amazing ! Like makeup primer. It doesn't dry out my skin too much && If you have a good exfoliant , you won't flake! I use this towel type thing from uwajimaya (you can get it at most asian stores) & it exfoliates my skin so well && I feel brand new. Using both these products.. My acne has gotten a lot better. I use Hard Candy Glamoflauge && I look flawless. With my acne before this product , it was so swollen you could still see it. Now it's like i've never had any blemishes ever <3 I LOVE IT!

on 8/25/2013 1:03:00 AM

I have been battling acne since my late teens. I'm 24 now and have a pizza face with extra toppings...well..I should say HAD thanks to this little tube of awesomeness! My dermatologist prescribed me with this to go along with the other things i was using and not getting the best results with (doxycycline pills, clindamycine and differin gel) I must say that just 4 weeks after adding Retin A to my regime, my skin has DRASTICALLY changed, I hardly need any makeup now! I did NOT purge although , most likely thanks to the other drugs i had been using months before starting the Retin A, although, my skin has been much dryer than usual but moisturizer helps with that.

My regimen:
Morning: Take my Doxycycline pill
Wash face with Dove Sensitive Skin bar, Pat dry
apply thin layer of Clindamycine
Moisturize with Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30

Right now use Loreal BB cream and Olay/cover girl pressed power foundation OR just Maybelline Cover Stick, these are ALL non-comedogenic (super important)

Night: Take my Doxycycline pill
Wash face with Dove Sensitive Skin bar, Pat dry
Apply thin layer of Retin A (avoid around lips and eyes, I learned this the hard way.)
Sleep

Every other night I use the differin gel instead of the Retin A to lessen the harshness of it. Super happy with this miracle skin ointment and will definitely keep with it!

Popular Treatments (Face)