December 23, 2014 | 1487 users online

Mascara - Mary Kay - Ultimate Mascara

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 6:50:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My friend gave me this mascara for free, so I'm not sure how much it costs. My first time using it was this morning...my initial reaction was that I liked that the formula wasn't too wet or too dry. It was the first mascara I've used that actually held a curl!! I will usually apply 4-5 coats on the top lashes to get that max volume and lengthening effect. I could not do that with Ultimate... my top lashes were pretty much dry and not workable after about the 2nd coat. I tried to re-dip the brush and start on the 3rd coat but when it touched the dried lashes it started to flake under my eye. Overall I give it a 3.5 but I just wish I could apply more coats without flaking. Would not buy in the future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2012 2:46:00 PM More reviews by leoisillon

This is a great mascara and I only used it because I was a consultant. I dont use it anymore but I can say it is a good, basic mascara. It brings a reasonable amount of volume. It isn't too wet or dry and doesn't clump easily. I like that the black is pretty dark. A few cons would be the price (for non consultants)--it's a bit pricey IMO, it takes a while to dry and it dries out kind of fast.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2012 2:32:00 AM More reviews by sgpayne1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a good mascara. I haven't had much of a problem with clumping. I find the wand stays fairly clean. I prefer a more rubber type mascara wand, I find they give a cleaner application.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2012 1:42:00 AM More reviews by sallyruth7

Not my favorite-it can clump sometimes, but the main problem I have with it is that it flakes off over the course of the day to the point that none is left on my lower lashes after 4 or 5 hours. I have really oily skin, which may contribute to that, but doesn't stay on very well compared to other mascaras that aren't waterproof.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by kknoell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

When I tried this at the MK party, I LOVED it. It came out smoothly, it wasn't too heavy, and it added volume without clumping my lashes together. But when I actually bought it, the formula was completely different. Maybe it was older then the sample I tried, but whatever the reason, it was a disaster. Everything clumped together and made horrible spider lashes. It was really heavy and felt crusty. Awful. Really disappointing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2011 9:13:00 AM More reviews by nedy1105

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this mascara. It lengthens,thickens and it doesn't clump. Most importantly to me, that it doesn't flake and the color stays black all day. It's water resistant but very easy to remove. The wand is good. I just wish that it was a curved brush instead of a straight one. It's my second time purchasing it and will buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2011 11:44:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't know why everyone else has a problem with this stuff clumping. Maybe they are getting old inventory from their consultants, or maybe the mascaras are being kept in a warm place and then being shipped somewhere cold? Who knows. I got this from my old roommate who is now a MK consultant and she got it straight from them a week earlier. It works like a dream. Also, I used to be a makeup artist myself and one of the tricks I learned to keep a mascara fresh is to stir it, but not pump it as that adds air and thus bacteria. Stirring moves the formula around in the tube and keeps it homogenous, and it also moves the product around on the bristles. Also don't hesitate to clean out the mascara wand every now and again to get old product out. These things will help keep your mascara working well for at least 2-3 months.

Their black is SUPER black, it stands out against any eyeshadow I love that about this mascara. It gives great length and volume and generally just amplifies really well. I've never had a problem with flaking or smudging or clumping or anything like that. And their eye makeup remover works like a charm on this stuff, I just put a little on a cotton round and it comes right off. (I do this before I shower and whatever I don't get with the makeup round comes off with face wash). This stuff is "waterproof/wash off" which means that it will come off in the shower if you use enough face wash but it's always better to use the makeup remover first. It does tend to stick a little if you don't and then it ends up under your eyes.

This mascara isn't my holy grail (I still haven't found the one mascara that makes me go "WOW!"), but it comes pretty close for the price and how long it lasts. Definitely buy this if you are on the fence!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by namissaas224

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Ehh, I don't really care for this mascara. When I first put it on I actually liked this mascara because it made my lashes long but it did clump very easily. For me it didn't really hold a curl very well and it flaked under my eyes really bad after a couple of hours.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 10:14:00 AM More reviews by jdmcgi2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was rather impressed with this mascara. I had heard from a friend that this was one of her favorite Mary Kay products so I decided to try it out. First of all I love the packaging. The shape of the tube makes it so easy to hold. The mascara really seemed to define and lengthen my lashes and even gave them some volume. It didn't weigh my eyelashes down either like some mascara. I could see where some people might have a little trouble with clumping if you build this up but I didn't have any problems at all since on a daily basis I'm too lazy to put more than one coat of mascara on. It stayed on a decent amount of time even though I have watery eyes sometimes and oily eyelids. I woud repurchase if I didn't have that problem with my eyes and the way to purchase this was different. I really need waterproof tubing mascara so I can use mascara on my bottom eye lashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2011 1:12:00 PM More reviews by Dee652

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Damn! I borrowed this from my mom while on vacation and was impressed by how long and defined my lashes looked. They did get a bit clumpy/spidery with a second coat, but I also didn't have a lash brush with me which would have helped. For the record, I am half asian with long but sparse, straight eyelashes that lose their curl quickly.