April 18, 2014 | 2010 users online

Treatments (Eye) - Avene - Ystheal Anti-aging gel-cream

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2008 8:40:00 PM More reviews by murphyh

I was really hopeful that that this Avene eye cream would be my HG. I did a lot of research on retinaldehyde and it seemed to be one of the best anti-ageing ingredients going. However, my experience was something completely different. This cream made the skin around my eyes puffy and actually INCREASED my fine lines. I began to look really haggard around the eye area. I would wake up with extremely puffy eyes and during the day, my foundation would settle into my enlarged fine lines. After about 2 months of this, I gave up on this cream. I should note that I only used it once a day, didn't have any irritation and have had a lot of success with eluage and ystheal emulsion. I have now returned to Neostrata bionic eye cream and after only one night's use, I have woken up with a MUCH fresher eye area. Unfortunately, I really wanted to love this Avene eye cream but it was not to be... :(

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 10:48:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Initially, this was a "no, and never again" for the Gingerrama. BUT - UPDATE - I have now read up on the retinaldehyde matter a bit; Tetrakis, Beethovengirl - thank you! Tetrakis' notepad (http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/tetrakis) is outstanding, I would recommend it as a place to start on the research front. Her tips on usage are absolutely invaluable. A 3 from me, unfortunately, as this works no better than my regular eye-cream.

Gel-cream for the eye area with lovely texture and no added perfume, 0.015% retinaldehyde. Cruelty-free, well tested, and using that rarest of things, ingredients backed up by actual research. A nice change. I tried this out as it had been so well received here on MUA and on the Boards.

But... I didn't do the rest of my research on the Boards first. I applied Ystheal in the evening as I do my usual eye cream: immediately after cleansing and moisturising, on damp skin.

This was a bit of a mistake. Results: initial irritation (outer corner of eye socket, where my skin is very very thin), inflamation, and the eye itself would barely open in the morning as some of the cream had crept in. There was more redness and swelling; nothing requiring medical attention, and all went back to normal later in the morning after much rinsing and the application of teabags soaked in cool water. Some flaking around the eye area for about a week after; resolved by sticking the flakes down, and sticking the skin together, with the trusty Avene Soothing Eye Cream mixed with a little emollient cream. I lived to tell the tale, and am not scarred for life.

I then blamed Ystheal for the consequences, rather than the combination of delicate skin and my own faulty application method.

So: double stupidity. Ladies and gentlemen of MUA - learn from my example. Go ye to the Boards and the Pads.

Tetrakis' tips worked well: I went for waiting (30 mins. or so) till skin had dried, then applying the Ystheal. A tiny amount - some say a grain of rice, I'd say a sesame seed. Any excess will just sit on top and eventually flake off. I'm doing this every 3rd day, building up (over the course of weeks) to every other day, etc., piano piano. And using sunscreen during the day, as per usual (given pale skin/red hair + functioning brain and self-preservation instincts).

No reactions, and skin is no worse than it was under very simple eye-cream. No better either.

I should add that the packaging for Ystheal eye is outstanding: pump, fully sealed, nitrogen packed. And pretty too. I'd used a sample; a full 15 ml is in the region of EUR 20.00-25.00 (and more outside Europe).

INGREDIENTS: Water, mineral oil, Avène thermal spring water, butylene glycol, polysorbate 40, squalane, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbitan palmitate, BHT, butylparaben, carbomer, disodium EDTA, methylparaben, phenoxyethanol, red 33 (CI 17200), retinal (Retinaldehyde C.T. 0.015%), sodium hydroxide, tocopheryl glucoside, xanthan gum. continued >>

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 2:27:00 PM More reviews by castlequeen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have been using 'Avene's Ystheal+ Eye Contour Care' for 2 months & am very pleased with this product. Price: $36.50 Canadian. I love Avene's 'Eluage' line so it's a name I trust. This product contains Retinaldehyde C.T., a proven effective agent in helping with lines & wrinkles. The product is a bit pricey but it comes in a 15 ml./ 50 oz. pump (love that= germ control!) so you can control the amount used. You DO NOT need a lot of Ystheal+; a dollop will do both your upper & lower eye area. Just pat it on gently and you're set. Because you need so little of the cream, the contents go a long way- to me, that offsets the price. I use this only at night as it can be a bit heavy. I stick with my beloved "Neostrata Firming Eye Cream' for day. I would highly recommend this product to anyone in the 40's age group, (or anyone with fine lines &/or deeper wrinkles around their eyes). This is a serious keeper.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2007 5:54:00 AM More reviews by Lenna0013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this as a night cream and have been using it as such for the last 3 weeks. Let me just say that this is my 1st (but not last) Avene product that I bought to get rid of my crow's feet (not deep wrinkles, but prominent laughter lines). I'm 29 and at first I experienced some slight itching and a bit of a light peeling on my eye due to using this product during the first 10 days or so. However, girls on the board said it was usual when starting a retinol treatment, so I didn't give up. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning up-close, and I have to tell you that my crows feet are gone. Something I never thought would happen. I am very satisfied with this and will continue using it. I must add that I use a lighter treatment in the morning (La Roche Posay Hydraphase Eye), because I figured out it might be too much to use this twice a day. No more ultra-expensive eye creams for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2007 8:55:00 AM More reviews by snipetress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I liked this product a lot after days of using it as a night treatment. For the first week, I noticed a big difference my fine lines the minute I put it on, but unfortunately the effects are only temporary. After a few hours, the fine lines would re-appear and look the way they do normally.

After a week of using it, it seems that the product lost its effectiveness. There are no immediate improvements anymore the minute I put it on, AND it started to sting a little bit. I have a feeling that my skin has become immune to the product(hence no results) and possibly grown a little sensitive to it(hence the sting). This is unfortunate because if the effects that I experienced lasted, then this would have been one of the best eye creams I've ever used.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2007 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Mutschi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Great, great product! I started to get first lines at age 23 (smoking, sun, stress, etc) and tried a bunch of (expensive) eycreams for a year now. Nothing stopped those lines except this one. I am using it for about 3 months now and the lines have diminished.
update: I prefer eluage now. love love love.
It`s still a very good product though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 12:53:00 PM More reviews by prettiesnow

I bought this to try as it contains retinaldyne which is supposingly good. I never regret buying it, my fine lines were hugely improved when using it and my eyes looked brighter. Plus i feel safe to use it as it's by Avene, suitable for sensitive skin. Love the texture too, so light and not oily!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2007 9:19:00 AM More reviews by lorio3733

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this product- I was using it for about three months and I truy noticed a difference in my fine lines. I have always looked very young for my age, so you can imagine my shock when I woke up and noticed miniscule lines around my eyes for the first time. I was 33 and very spoiled by my genetics! I bought this, and presto, the wrinkles were gone in under a week. Then, however, I got pregnant, and I and to stop using this, as it has some retinaldehyde in it and my OB said to wait until after the baby to pick it up again. My question is, can I use it now that I'm breastfeeding? I wish I could find definitive answers to this on the internet. Retin A is a no no, of course, but this is a far different product. I'd hate to have to wait another six months to start with aggressive anti-aging skincare again. I will wait if I have to, of course, but Ack, I might look like a human scrotum by then. Wrinkles stay away!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2007 5:32:00 AM More reviews by violet103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Not impressed with this, feel the normal Ystheal/Eluage creams are much more effective eye creams and better value. Soothing but not moisturising enough.