October 23, 2014 | 1721 users online

Brows - Kevyn Aucoin - The Precision Brow Pencil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2009 9:46:00 AM More reviews by miss_mac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This brow pencil is awesome! It is a wind up so there is no sharpening required, and it is very fine which is great for giving a natural look to the brows. It has a mini brow wand at the other end which has a cap so you can brush the brows for a more natural finish. The colour is perfect for me, I use Brunette. The only bad thing about it is the price, and I go through it fairly quickly so I only buy it when I can afford it, otherwise I buy the MAC Eye Brows in Spiked which is AU$20 cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2009 8:25:00 AM More reviews by jrichardson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely the best. This is not cheap -- about $50 in Australia -- but it's worth every cent. It's very easy to use, with a really fine point that glides on colour. It's almost impossible to overdo it as well -- the colour is so perfect and natural. It also has a great little brush at the other end. One colour suits all tones too. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 9:31:00 PM More reviews by tousledelegance

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my HG for brows! Since my permanent makeup application on my eyebrows has faded, I draw them on, preferring them very thin and highly arched, so I have been searching for a very small tipped pencil for that sort of Ďdetail work.í Iíve tried some other self sharpening pencils that had fairly small tips, but they just did not get sharp enough to suit me. This one is even smaller than any of those and while it does not come to a point as I had hoped, I find it does not need to be pointy; it is still sharper than any of the others.
This pencil is nearly perfect! Staying power is excellent, which is very important to me since I have no hairs left to work with, lol. It does not smudge, so it would not be a good candidate to use as eyeliner. It is not cakey like so many of the long-wear variety, nor is it shiny like so many eyeliner pencils that Iíve tried to use for brows instead. I can sketch freely with it to get the right size/shape and I can easily remove any excess/mistakes without screwing up the whole brow. Application is smooth; it doesn't grab at all.
The only cons are: 1) the only brunette shade is a light brown, which is considerably lighter than my naturally black hair and 2) it is $24. Still, this pencil is so close to being exactly what I am looking for that I will definitely buy again. I expected quality because of the brand name and I got it. I cannot wait to try some of Kevynís other items.

Edit 12/13/10: I tried the Auburn shade now that my hair is an Intense Copper and it is a perfect match! Wish I'd bought it before spending so much time and money elsewhere trying to find a proper shade for a redhead. Others were simply too brown. Kevyn's auburn is more on the orange side- exactly what I wanted! Finally!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by zhenya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this product after lemming for it for years. There are a ton of brow pencils on the market, but I'm very picky about the ones I use -- they must have a very fine point. But it gets tedious (and spendy) constantly sharpening wooden pencils, and most auto-pencils have thicker lead than I'd like (think MAC or Clinique). KA makes one of the few auto-pencils that uses thin micro-lead, which is perfect for filling in my brows with little wispy strokes.

The brunette shade is a good match for my brow color, without the annoying reddish undertone that other dark brown brow products can have (I'm NC20 with dark brown hair and black brows). Although it doesn't come with a lot of product, it will probably last me several months, because I first fill in my brows with a slant brush (MAC 266) and brown eyeshadow, and then go over the areas that need more definition with a pencil. But I'm very displeased that the spoolie on the opposite end is *extremely* rough and scratchy. It actually hurts to use it to blend the color into my brows! For $24, I really expect more. If not for this fatal flaw, I'd probably be willing to shell out the ridiculous price, but for a non-refillable auto pencil with a cheap scratchy spoolie, no thanks. Next time I might check out the Anastasia auto-pencil, since I won't be repurchasing this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2008 11:10:00 AM More reviews by clk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this brow pencil it is HG but I found that Philosophy makes the same kind and it's cheaper.... Yay

rated 2 of 5 on 8/31/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by whitemamacita

***UPDATE****After using one whole one of these and seeing the EXTREMELY SHORT TIME IT LASTED, and I didn't even use mine everyday. I will not purchase again for the price and the amount that it gave. I acutally went ahead and ordered another backup because another gripe is you really can't tell when it's going to be gone until it's gone so I wouldn't be put in that spot and I took that one back after this ran out so fast. REDICULOUS for the price, nice formula wears well, could work on the color a bit BUT FOR WHAT YOU GET IS A WASTE OF MONEY.

This so far is my best brow pencil I have used to date! I really do like the way it goes on, the small stick with no sharpening and the staying power on me is great, doesn't come off until I want it off. The way it is made is great IMO. Love the packaging. Only gripes are one - there is not a lot of product for the amount you pay, need to be more two - I purchased this in the blonde color and it matches pretty good. Problem is I cannnot do anything with any kind of reddish hint and there is a reddish hint to this one. I know the bruenette one will be too dark for me and red is a no no. So he needs to come out with more colors to choose from and I am surprised he doesn't have a taupe color as most due - which is a neutral one that I fall into perfectly and many do. So what I do is I still have some of my anastasia brow powder left and I put just a very small amount over after I pencil and it helps balance the color out. So those are my two gripes but I will keep using it unless I find something better.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2008 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Meliamalia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have dark brown near - black eyebrows and I use this in BRUNETTE. I give this 3 1/2 lippies because it's not exactly my HG,and it's expensive- but worth trying anyway. I like the color: dark neutral brown (No RED, no Ash), and it's a skinny lead so there's no sharpening needed. The price is a killer though. $24! For that kind of money, the lead should run darn near the length of the container! It's a bit of a pain to use in some areas of my brows for definition. Sometimes when I'm working on a spot that needs heavier coverage, it seems to pick the color back off as I mark it. The staying power is decent. Just can't touch my brows, especially if i'm sweaty or I'm in humid conditions. I may repurchase if I don't find something better, or maybe to use as a "back up" if I do find something else. I'd recommend you give this a try though. I've tried so many brow liners and even used eyeliners for my brows, and this one is pretty good.EDIT: Even though I can't see red tones on the pencil itself, I notice after a few hours it fades to a reddish tone on my brows. There's coverage, but it's a slightly different color. Weird. My skin isn't that oily, but that's the only thing I can think of that's changing the color.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2008 7:46:00 PM More reviews by pugtales

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

HG,the only negative thing about this is the amount of product you get,the rest is simply perfection,i have it in Brunette,the color is perfect,no red at all,i have dark brown eyebrows.The texture also perfect,application easy,the brush on the other side is stiff,perfect also.
Update:THis is still an amazing product,but the price for the amount that you get it pretty ridiculous,Anastasia's Brow Wiz in Medium Ash has replaced this,it's just as amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2008 5:25:00 PM More reviews by jenren

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Kevyn, you didn't let me down! I have been a fan of Kevyn Aucoin for years, after reading about his work and Face Forward and Making Faces. He was a true makeup genious. I purchased the brow pencil yesterday after reading the raves on here and my eyebrows now look like perfection! For years, the perfect brow pencil/shadow eluded me. What can I say other than it looks absolutely, 100% natural. My brows look well defined and better than they ever have! The thin little pencil makes drawing those little "hairs" and blending them effortless.

Although I'm a redhead, the sales lady recommended I try the blonde as the red looks a little unnatural. The blonde is perfect for me. If I could give this more lippies, I would.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2008 1:49:00 AM More reviews by lauraet

I qiute liked this pencil; even though it wasn't holy grail for me, it is a pretty good colour for my naturally quite dark eyebrows, and it was very easy to use.

The colour doesn't seem to have any red tones in it, but it wouldn't be suitable for someone with black eyebrows. It is amazing though how depending on how hard you press on the skin with it, it will appear lighter or darker. This means you can a have few different brow looks using the same pencil.

The spoolie brush on the end is also handy for brow grooming.