April 17, 2014 | 1804 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Bonder Rubberized Basecoat

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Knitknitfrog

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, so I read online that people can get a week of a diy mannicure with no chips and only a little tip wear. In my case can chip my polish on day three, even when wearing Dish wash gloves and being super careful. So I searched online and read all i could about making a diy manicure last longer, I tried lots of things, non-quick dry top coats, non- quick dry base coats, ridge fillers, I tried SH Instadri, and buying top shelf polishs. I tried the loodie loodie loodie seven day manicure, I tried waiting a few minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour and even a day between coats of polish, I prepped my nails using all the tips i read, I used nail polish remover, and then a good soap and water scrub, and then isopropal alcohol to prep my nails and remove any trace of oil or moisturizer. I wrapped my tips with polish, with base coat, with every layer, with the top layer, i tried all sorts of combinations, Nothing really gave me a seven day manicure, with no chips. Best i could do was three or four days always with some tip wear. I resigned myself to changing polish sundays and wednesdays, and to change polish even more often if i was using a dramatic colour - chips and edge wear show less in nude colours.

Until I spotted orly bonder on a dept store shelf and decided to give it a go, well I worked the bonder sandwich, full clean prep, a layer of bonder,a layer of polish (essie master plan) a layer of bonder and a layer of polish, the next day I added one layer of polish and a regular high shine top coat ...

It's seven days later, I've got regrowth between the polish and my cuticle, and no chips.
I am amazed, I've read that some users say orly bonder left stains ... And I've not worn it long or often enough to find out - but for now I'm super amazed, and kinda bored with the same colour for seven full days but feeling guilty about removing polish that still looks perfect.

edited to say i've removed the polish - day eight, mostly due to regrowth and a teeny tiny bit of chip wear on my right/dominant hand, and there is no staining. I'm now off to try a darker polish and see how it wears.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 5:12:00 PM More reviews by balletballoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of the few products about which I actually evangelize. I had given up on wearing nail polish because for some reason mine always chipped so, so quickly, wouldn't go on smoothly, etc., plus I would always get frustrated at the first sign of chipping and just take it all off.

This has changed everything! I use it as a base coat and then wait at least 3 min for it to get mostly dry. The color on top of it goes on more smoothly and doesn't run or pool. I finish with another coat of the bonder on top of the color, followed by the ORLY Sec 'n Dry top coat and the Flash Dry drops. It works great; it's innovative, unique, and well-designed (the rubberized grip on the brush may not seem that important, but I love it). It's lasting forever, too -- I bought my current/first bottle in early spring and use it for mani/pedis at least once a week, and it's still 3/4 full. I even use it for the rare pedicure on my horrendous toenails, and the polish makes it through rehearsals in unpadded pointe shoes just fine.

PROS:
- unique (seriously, no other drugstore product like it)
- easy to use
- prevents chipping
- makes polish go on more smoothly
- lasts a long time

CONS:
- expensive compared to other base coats, but lasts longer and does a better job
- smells kind of funky to some

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by bethanaimeexo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love the packaging of orly products that have the rubber handle. So genius.
I prefer this over the CND stickey basecoat (which I severely dislike), this dries quicker and my nail polish does not peel off. Stops my nails from being stained too.
Great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Trillstayovoxo13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This sticky base coat doesn't dry quick but it's supposed to b sticky so it holds my polish when I put on orly brand primer and polish shield.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Ljadeke

I love it. Fills in my ridged and gives my nail color something to cling to. It dries mate so my boyfriend will put it on sometimes. (His nails are crazy thin.) I got this originally because the nail on my middle finger broke down the middle years ago and I was looking for something to stop it from painfully splitting down the center. It definitely helped with that and now I use it with every manicure.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by clandestineyou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am so dissapointed since this was so expensive. I am an aesthetician, so I'm not new to doing nails.. But I've used this twice, and each time my nails never dry, even after hours and hours of waiting.. My color stays gummy. It feels dry to the touch, but after doing something (even the next day) it will just roll off the nail like its rubber. Awful stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by candied

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This base coat is HG for me, a total game changer. I apply it in this manner: 1 coat of bonder, 1 coat of color, 1 coat of bonder, 1 coat of color, and then a quick dry top coat (these days it's Sally Hansen Hard As Nails). I guess you could call this the bonder variation of the sticky sandwich. With this combination, my nail polish lasts a FULL seven days, with tip wear showing around the 4th or 5th day. My nail polish generally lasted only 3-4 days before, with significant chipping on day 5. Love this stuff!

Aside from the awesome formula, I love Orly packaging - the rubberized grip on the handle makes it easy to work with and the brush is the right size and flexibility to make it easy to apply and maneuver with precision. Will repurchase again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Jess1189

This BC is pretty cool. I like the rubberized finish--I find that the polish adheres more easily to the nail. And of course, like with all Orly's, I absolutely LOVE the gripper cap. However, some of my polishes don't play well with Bonder--some colors get shrinkage or tipwear pretty easily.

Take my review with a grain of salt because I've only used one other polish as a BC....that was Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Invisible (clear polish). Annnd it didn't do very well. So I have many more to try!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by eelsnyam

LIFE CHANGING. Before I started using this basecoat, my nail polish would chip in a matter of days. Now, after using Orly+2 coats of nail polish+top coat, my manicure lasts over a week with basically NO chipping. And it looks awesome! (a friend even thought I had gotten gel nails) Highly recommended if your nail polish addiction is as serious as mine...

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by cammbo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I found bonder to be very effective, especially when using the sandwich method. I've been able to wear polish for 6 days chip free, an absolute miracle for me!! But, it stains my nails quite badly... even when applied over another basecoat. I much prefer the china glaze strong adhesion, no staining and almost as good wear!