Remington Wet 2 Straight

3.6

on 11/7/2012 10:28:00 AM

Ah, the straightener of doom. One day, when I can afford a GHD, I'm going to have some kind of ceremony in which I destroy this straightener in creative ways, to pay it back for destroying my hair. Oh Remington Wet 2 Straight, how do I hate thee. Let me count the ways!

1. The "Wet 2 Straight" premise is something of a myth. You probably can straighten wet hair with this, but your hair will look and feel like sheet metal.

2. You need to glide this thing over your hair super slowly about 3 or 4 times to straighten. This process, rather than the heat itself, is what ruins hair, which is why you want a straightener capable of high heat.

3. This straightener is not capable of high heat,

4. The heat can be set to anything between 1 and 30, which is ridiculous, because nobody really needs a straightener that can be set to 26 rather than 25, or 29 rather than 30. I've never used anything less than 15, because it's so uselessly cool that you could achieve better results by standing near a warm oven. There's absolutely no point. It's like "this one goes to eleven!" - some genius just said "instead of having 5 settings, let's have 30! IT WILL BE 6 TIMES BETTER!!"

5. The default setting is 15, so if you want the straightener hot, you have to press the damn button 15 TIMES to get it there.

6. Sometimes, as a special favour, the straightener switches itself off, and you have to turn it on again, press the button 15 times again, and wait for it to heat up. Again.

7. It takes FOREVER to heat up. If you're in a hurry, forget it. It would be quicker to get an actual haircut that precludes straightening.

8. You really need to blow dry your hair straight first, which defeats the purpose of a straightener. If I let my hair (thick, mostly straight with a hint of wave) air dry, and then use the straightener, it takes about half an hour, by the end of which time you may as well have just deep fried your hair, because it's COOKED.

9. Even if you do everything right, this thing is slooow.

10. Don't even think about using this to create curls. You'd have more luck with an actual iron (note: do not try that).

11. If you leave the straightener plugged in, even if it's switched off, it will bleep at you randomly for days. It's like a demanding baby. I can be drifting off to sleep and suddenly "MEEP!" I don't know if this is standard safety protocol for straighteners "MEEP!", but like toasters and kettles and most other household appliances, I'd prefer to have the option of leaving it plugged "MEEP!" in.

What I hate most about it is it's the straightener I have, so I have to use it until the straightener I have is a better straightener. There are just times when I want the added polish of straightened hair, and this does the job, slowly, with much frustration, and while inflicting much damage. Seriously, if you want shiny, straight hair today, you will have to tolerate brittle straw-like tresses tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this thing has done some serious damage to my hair over the last couple of years, even though I use it sparingly due to my feelings of anger, disgust, and despair. I'm sure there are inexpensive straighteners on the market that work; I've heard good things about Conair (in fact, I requested one for my birthday, but my brother thought this one looked better - I don't really want to talk about it) and I don't like the idea that straight, shiny hair is only for the 1%.

I once watched someone on Youtube demonstrating curling techniques with a GHD straightener, and at the end of the clip she showed us her COLLECTION of GHD straighteners in a rainbow of colours and styles. What I suggest is that instead of buying a Remington Wet 2 Straight, which I believe to be responsible for all the problems in my life, you write to this overindulged harpy and demand that she share the wealth. I guess I don't really mean that, I'm just depressed about my hair.

on 10/25/2012 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have the latest version of this Remington wet/dry hot iron. It works so well on damp and dry hair and saves steps. I already bought a backup!

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

this was my second flat iron ever. the first was a random off brand that i found in a ethnic hair store.
i don't have a lot of experience straightening my hair but i have to to say, even thought this isn't a super high end (i got it on sale at kroger for $19) this is really nice. i bought it in the 2" model because i have long hair and plenty of it. i haven't noticed a substantial decrease in the time it takes to straighten my hair because like i said i;m not a veteran hair straightener .
Pros:
Ceramic plates
heats up fast
doesn't pull hair
easy to operate
can use on wet hair (i don't but i could if i was short on time)
Cons:
this is personal preference but i don't know the temperature of each level. what i mean is that it doesn't show you the actual temperature that the iron is on but rather levels 1-30. level 7 gives me okay results but i haven't ventured farther. i noticed that when i was washing dishes (no water touched my hair) after i used this, my hair sort of curled up again. i don't know if this was because i didn't use high enough heat or not enough product or that's just how my hair is.

I've had this straightener for almost 3 years now, and it still works like the first day i turned it on! I have thin hair (which i know-you're not supposed to straighten thin hair :L) but its SOO wavy/frizzy at the same time! I had tried so many straighteners and i couldn't find one with plates smooth enough that they wouldn't rip out my hair. I've used the damp hair setting once or twice, and it works nicely and dries your hair very quickly-but i don't use it often. It was so cheap at target and i had to get it. If you are going to get it, go with the 2 inch, as it makes it so you don't have to go over your hair more than once or twice. :)

Decent straightener, although the point of it is that it can straighten wet hair. I've owned 4 straighteners and it wasn't any better (or worse) than the other ones I've owned. A decent average straightener, although I paid $40 for it and I don't think it was worth that much.

on 6/17/2012 2:26:00 AM

I love this straightener! I started working, I'm 17, and I've been through numerous straighteners. Since I started working, I've had to shower in the morning. (I'm a night showerer.) I used to let my hair air dry over night but I get home very late so I have to blowdry it when I shower in the morning. I hateee blowdrying. My hair gets poofy and not straight so I had to straighten it after I blow dryed. I absolutely hated using so much heat. So I ordered hair extensions and needed a straightener with multiple heat settings. ( mine had one).

So, what I love is that it is 2". Perfect for long hair, makes it quicker. Second, it really dries my toweldried hair. Took me 20 minutes for dry, straight hair versus nearly an hour to blowdry and straighten. But not only that, my hair was very straight ( no wavy missed areas) and supet soft and shiny after i used the wet setting. Love this! Third, there are a ton of heat settings for every hair type. Fourth, the price was great! I spent 24 dollars on this at walmart. The one inch was 23. Love this straightener, definitely works on wet hair, leaving soft and silky shiny hair thats very straight without obvious indents. Only bad thing is it tugs on hair and steam is very hot. Other than that, best straightener ever.

on 6/11/2012 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Every few months or so I remember i have this iron and it's always kind of fun when I find it. I absolutely hate blow drying my hair in the summer but I also don't care much for it wavy (who i am i kidding - FRIZZY). Blow drying takes so much effort, and if i don't use the right cocktail of products and angle the dryer just so, I could end up with a mess.

I do use the iron on damp hair (never on soaking wet hair) and I need to iron in small sections to get good results. If i take too large of a clump of hair, it doesn't work. but on small sections, it flattens out the hair nicely and adds a bit of shine. on the more coarse areas of my hair (the back seems like hair of a different person vs. tthe front) this straighterner doesn't always do the trick as there's too much hair to do in small sections....so i still have to use my chi. I know, 2 straight irons in the morning, not exactly healthy for my hair, but I guess can't be THAT much worse than blow drying and straightening. I don't use this iron to straighten hair that's been blown out...it doesn't really work for me on dry hair, hence only 3 lippies.

As other reviewers mentioned beware of steam burns...not exactly the most fun way to start the day.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my Wet 2 Straight for about 4 years now, and I don't use it very much since I got my CHI a few months ago. You see, while it's very convenient that I can straighten my hair from when it's wet, it really only dries my hair like a blow dryer and brush would - semi-straight, but dry, and with still a bit of frizz. This is with a heat protectant, mind you. In order to get my hair straight enough to tell that it's been straightened and not just naturally straight (my hair is naturally very wavy but what I mean is that it only gets it straight enough to look like I have naturally semi-straight hair and you can't tell I've done anything) I need to take at least an extra 20 minutes on my dry hair (which is thick and a bit below my shoulders). The time adds up to almost an hour! With that time, I can blow dry my hair and then use my CHI for a much straighter, shinier, less frizzy look - and it takes away the "poof" factor! Plus, I don't have to use nearly as much product with the CHI. I strongly suggest opting for a CHI or even the Revlon 1" straightener, which isn't as a fast as the CHI but eventually gets almost the same results, just a bit less pin-straight.

Tl;dr: it takes so long to dry & straighten that it's worth just blowdrying and using a better straightener.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I have extremely curly hair. I brought this Vegas in the middle of July at walgreens. I used it when my hair was wet and this is the best straightener I've ever tried. It left my hair sleek, shiny and my ends for once didn't frizz up. It kept my hair straight for 2 weeks before I washed it. I do reccommend a few things.
1. Use heat protectant on both settings.
2. Don't put oil in your hair before using it, it will make your hair frizzy.
3. Watch your fingers on the wet setting. I burned the balls out of my fingertips numerous times.
4. Use a deep conditioner before use. I use the Queen Helene Cream and i do a hot oil treatment before.
5. Don't use on a constant basis ( we all know this)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this about a year ago and I LOVE it. I saw it at target and it was only $22.00 so at first i didn't think it was going to work unless your hair was already pretty much natually traight and fine. The day I got it I had my hair crimped (slept in braids)
but decided to try it out anyway. Now, Ya'll my hair is REALLY think and naturally wavy and it's only going to get wavier/curly as I get older because I have my mom's hair and that's how it went with her. But because of the heat settings it works on all hair types and it even dries your hair. Some down sides: I wouldn't reccomend drying you hair with it every day or in fact using it every day espescially without a heat protectant spray. When you DO dry it, though beware of the steam. it is vented so it steams a LOT. Also it it easy to burn yourself. A little word of advice: you might want to experement with heat settings because on the package they give you yours but I feel like you can go a WHOLE lot lower than what they give you which can prevent damage. Overall, I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools