July 31, 2014 | 2029 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Dune EDT

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 8:40:00 AM More reviews by margirl23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My all-time favorite scent...it's a magical, spicy, warm, creamy, hot, beautiful scent...i've been in love with this scent for years. It's a heavy fragrance to inhale at first, so a light hand is warranted. This scent cannot be appreciated without waiting a bit after application, to give it time to meld with your skin and oils and chemistry. I have to admit, on first spritz, it's heavy, and a bit much...as the day goes on, it just morphs into a beautiful, lovely, warm, cozy, rich scent of a woman...every single time i wear this scent, i get compliments...it's just warm and inviting...staying power is phenominal...by the end of the day you still smell absolutely feminine and gorgeous.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by falovalo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me start off by saying that I love Dior fragrances, my favorites being Pure Poison and Hypnotic Poison. Dune on the other hand, slapped me in the face. I detected a cat pee smell! It was strong and matronly. I can't imagine this smelling nice on anyone. The bottle is pretty though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2010 4:51:00 PM More reviews by mary66

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Breathtaking fragrance. Some have described Dune as cold, bleak, even metallic. The only comment I have on that is that I don't care for it in the winter. It can seem unapproachable & remote in cool weather. It's very dry and it's not sweet so it's perfect on me in summer heat. I receive constant compliments when I wear Dune and it's when it's been sweating on my skin for a couple of hours. I guess that's the salty element which Dior says is 'Oceanic' but in my experience is pure, hot, salty skin. This continues through to it's wonderful complex musky, woodsy drydown that nestles into the curves of your neck and breasts and seems to 'thicken' with the heat. A sensation of clean skin tinged with sexy oil. It's exotic and rather adventurous. It's Rachel Weisz in The Mummy, travelling across the vast hot and dry Egyptian desert in search of the Lost City, a tantalising suggestion of a breeze carries the scent of flowers and a hint of danger across the dunes. A very enigmatic fragrance which will never, ever date.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2009 11:00:00 PM More reviews by cherryglass

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

In one word - spectacular!!! I loved it way back when I was in my impressionable early teens and smelled it on a painfully stylish friend of my mother. Fifteen years later I impulsively caved on my own bottle in hopes of bringing up the memories of glamour, not to mention nostalgia. It still holds its own and does not feel dated or irrelevant today. It's beautifully composed. The salt and "slow" heat are there, which are the main attractions for me as it makes the fragrance rather unique. This is not a shy fragrance and the lasting power is excellent. I like wearing it during the summer with a light touch. It's comforting in the cold, yet never boring. I appreciate the thought behind the bottle design as well. For me it creates more of an atmosphere than a mere scent and for that alone it deserves the highest rating.

Give it a chance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by moonstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to steal spritzes of this from my roommate as a 21 year old college student and was recently seized by a fit of nostalgia so I bid on a bottle on evilbay. I hadn't smelled it in years and was so curious as to what impression it would make on me today, 13 plus years later. I wasn't sure what to expect, since my 21 year old self was hugely into aquatics (Acqua di Gio (still love) and Escape (urgh) were my faves) and my perfume tastes have changed markedly since then.

Oh, how impressed I am with my 21 year old self! Even way back then, when my perfumista tendencies were in their infancy, I understood greatness! ;-) I'll have to repeat what others before me have said: Dune is the quintessential dry, sandalwoody oriental that evokes images of a hot, tropical summer day (with absolutely no sunscreen accord). An amazing 'fume that would suit any age group, IMHO. I hope to always have this as part of my scent rotation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2009 10:16:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can’t believe Dune’s been around for 18 years & I just only recently tried it. I really feel like kicking myself! I love oriental vanillas/ambers in general, so this perfume is a no-brainer, really… though it puzzles me why Dior would tout this one as a ‘Floral Oceanic’ fragrance (whatever THAT means). The intro for Dune on the company’s website goes like this: "An oceanic fragrance, created in harmony with nature, this radiant, fresh and subtle accord captures the landscape where the sky meets the sea in a warm, oceanic floral bouquet. Enveloping, serene and sensual." Hmmm... Fresh? Yes. Warm? Definitely. Radiant? Serene? Sensual? Check, check & check. Oceanic? Uh... NO. Well, I don’t know about the other reviewers, but I definitely don’t get mental images of the ocean or the beach from this... there is no salty/marine note that I can detect here whatsoever to enable me to make such associations. What I DO get are a HEAVENLY mix of amber, vanilla, dried fruit (?) & spices galore... & suddenly I’m transported to a bustling souk in Marrakesh with its colorful sights, heady mix of aromas & hypnotic Arabic music playing in the background. Make no mistake, Dune is an ORIENTAL through & through.

Like the other Dior EDTs, Dune is also no exception when it comes to staying power -- as can be expected, of course, from a very well-made fragrance composed of the highest quality ingredients (the same of which cannot be said about the many haphazardly put together, watered-down, synthetic celeb/designer fragrances flooding the market today). As for the rather unique-shaped bottle, though definitely not ugly, is certainly nothing to ‘ooh’ & ‘ahh’ over either (especially when compared to the gorgeous, uber feminine packaging of J’Adore & Miss Dior Cherie). Anyhow, it doesn’t bother me as it’s the juice inside that counts. And what a truly lovely, elegant & timeless concoction this modern classic is... hands down one of Dior’s best to date.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2009 6:55:00 AM More reviews by arikabh

This is the first perfume I liked as a kid. It smelled so beautiful to me back then but I'm no longer crazy abouth this one. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone under 60. I don't hate this but it smells dated and generic to me now. Could definitely be worse though. Ugly bottle too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 5:21:00 AM More reviews by notluisebrooks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Like a strange wind blowing from an unknown land, there's something subliminal and magical about "Dune"; it opens on a burst of cured peaches and dates, followed by crisp, peony florals and petroleum, all smelling intensely "wet" for a few moments, while the drier undernotes slowly emerge (the opening conjured up images of 40-year "rains" opening on long-baked deserts and granola-laden backpacks). Then suddenly, olfactive "silence"; an arid wind blows through "Dune", bringing faintly mineral, sweetly-peppered airs...the smell of very, very old spices (cumin, cinnamon, pepper, paprika), salt and essences (resins, myrrh, vetiver and moss) long dried and lingering in a cedar box, retrieved from deep in sand. Whispering velvet-suede and linen notes move forward, with tiny hints of skin warmed in full sun; however, the humanistic quality reads as sunbleached and long-worn, an archeologist's sand-beaten coat; fraying material taking on brittle, aromatic qualities. "Dune" smells clean because it has to; its exquisite dryness would've long blown away body oils and sweat, all while whispering of days gone by--it taunts and teases; a smoky, brisk night with campfire stories, all served up with a glass of dry, white wine. There's a fresh, outdoorsy elegance to "Dune" that tells tales of travel and adventure, piloting and trekking. Another reviewer wrote that it reminded them of the character Katharine Clifton from "The English Patient" and I could totally see that; it's sandy, aloof and elusive, ivory carved and polished into a dreamy "Garbo", all with sphinx-like appeal. It's the smell of Moroccan spiced sands and ancient pyramids, dusty planets and moons, beach sands and rocky heaths. I smell "Dune" and it reminds me of the ethereal "spice essence" of Frank Herbert's novel of the same name. I also see "Uluru" and baked, red outback...wooden merchant ships, long relieved of their duties but still carrying olfactive "ghosts" of travels past. If folktale fascination is your game, many hazy dreams will be had while wearing "Dune" and don't limit it to one place or time of day; at night, it smells like dew and desert---in late afternoon, you'll feel like you're returning home from a day at the beach.

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2009 10:27:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the most interesting fragrance. Fresh yet warm and spicy at the same time. Slight hint of baby powder and heavily floral as well. I get a very masculine vibe from this frag. Also, I'm smelling a vaseline/petroleum note in there if that makes sense at all. Really long lasting and powerful stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 2:02:00 AM More reviews by Beihbeal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This perfume is my personal scent of choice. I have worn this scent since grade 9 and frankly, I am now pushing 30. It may not be for everyone, however, I love the way it melds with my skin. It produces a lovely lingering after scent on all of my clothes. It is so warm, and deep and rich. Multi faceted. Spicy, but smooth. If you like warm bold scents like D&G and Bob Mackie's Perhaps, you will love this.