September 2, 2014 | 1199 users online

Moisturizers - Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 2/17/2014 2:43:00 PM More reviews by kretz

I decided to give EVOO a try after reading so many great reviews as a moisturizer and even a good makeup remover. I was skeptical because of the reviews saying it can cause breakouts. Anyway i gave it a try one night when washing off my makeup, I rubbed it all over my face and then tried to rinse it off. It would NOT come off. I even had to use my original face was to remove the oil off of my skin. My skin felt very soft afterwards but the next day my forehead was covered in acne. I NEVER break out on my forehead but it was covered in red painful pimples. I would not recommend using this stuff on your face if you are at all acne prone I will definitely stick to coconut oil as an extra moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 12:36:00 AM More reviews by maddynelson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I was skeptical at first because if this worked so well why are people still spending so much money on moisturizer... but holy crap this is amazing! My skin is pretty dry with a few scattered breakouts and this is my second day using olive oil mixed with my daily moisturizer and I already see a difference. My breakouts are shrinking and my face looks soft and hydrated. I definitely recommend this BUT you still should have a good daily moisturizer as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by AnnieLees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow! I read the reviews on make up alley and decided to give extra virgin olive oil another try. I've tried it before as a moisturizer and it did'nt work the way I had hoped. BUT, with some extra research I found that using oliv oil as a cleanser (oil massage and then steaming the face with a hot cloth) gave a totally different result that just rubbing it in after cleaning the face with a "normal" cleanser.

My face has never looked better! I have very dry skin with lots of blackheads and inpurities. After using this oil cleanser for one week my skin is glowing. It really pulls out the inpurities out of the skin and leaves the pores open and the skin feels like its breathing. Also, my dryness is getting a lot better. Used to have very flaky skin, but this method dissolves the dead skin cells and cleanes it right off as well.

Need I say I have been looking for products that will work on my problematic skin for years, and finally I have found something that gives me a result I am happy with!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 3:22:00 PM More reviews by roserie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I've used olive oil as a makeup remover for the last 4 months and it's been very effective. At this point I don't see the need to buy a product marketed as makeup remover xD

I put some olive oil on a cotton pad, pat onto my face and once most of the oil is off the cotton, I hold the pad for a couple seconds on my lids and under eye area. If it appears that I've picked up too much oil, I blot with a tissue. Then, using a clean pad, I rub gently with a circular motion until I stop picking up color. I then finish with my normal nightly cleansing routine :D

I do have to say I'm not acne prone -- pretty much all my acne comes from hormonal changes and lack of sleep -- and I don't have sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by rach3l0u

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

As one who suffers from overly-sensitive and acne prone skin, using olive oil as a makeup remover has been life changing. It gets off all of my makeup quickly (I use it on a cotton pad) without the chemicals that easily break me out.
Moreover, when my skin gets dry during the winter, I mix a few drops of olive oil into my moisturizer, which smooths out any dry patches while providing some dewiness to my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by ig018dummiie

I bought a target brand of Extra Virgin Olive oil. It was cheap and made my skin feel super soft! I recently broke out with a UNDER ThE SKIN pimple on my forehead and chin, which hardly happens. I believe it was caused by this. Hmph.. on to the next oil

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 4:13:00 PM More reviews by nudibelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been used th filippo berio organic oil since the summer.
OMG is the best thing I have ever used ever in my life and I break out crazy stupid over the smallest thing and I gave this a shot. In three day my face was amazing. At night I clean my face with olive oil. Get a hot white rag and steam my face a couple times , wipe it off and add a couple drops on cheeks and chin. Wake up with even toned skin, luminous clear akin

But guess what ladies, I went to reup my stash and the new organic label doesn't even say cold pressed or all natural
What do you gals recommend I'm devasted and so scared tried anything else

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 2:15:00 AM More reviews by NaughtyChantie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love olive oil. I don't use for the topical purposes I just ingest it and the omega 9's (monounsaturated fat) are great for skin. My skin looks fresher and better in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by strakale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my first review to the site, but I had to leave a rave review for EVOO! I use the Kirkland organic brand, which, as another reviewer noted, is one of the few that has tested as 100% olive oil, without added oils (which is what I suspect is bothering some other posters' skin). The other brand I would trust is California Olive Ranch.
I tend to have dry/combo skin with hormonal breakouts and some aging skin under my eyes...in other words, it's really a pain in the butt to find products that work for all aspects of my skin. I use this to remove makeup and cleanse my skin in the evening. The fact that this is the only product that removes every trace of my waterproof mascara is worth it in and of itself, but it also seems to leave my skin very clean and smooth. It feels moisturized and yet my acne (mostly on my chin) has cleared up! It also seems to plump the fine lines under my eye due (I think these are mostly because I moved to an arrid climate, as I'm only 27).
How I use it is apply to my dry face, and massage in circular motions. I gently wipe off my eye makeup, also in circular motions. When I feel like it's loosened all of my makeup, I get a microfiber face cloth (the Dollar Tree ones work fine), dampen it with warm/hot water (as hot as I can stand, I love the heat), and wipe off the EVOO. I finish by wiping off the excess oil with a cotton ball with a bit of Witch Hazel (I think the combo really helps, as I don't like the feeling of extra oil sitting on my skin overnight).
I usually just do this once a day (in the evening), because I feel that my skin is a bit too moisturized afterwards to wear makeup over it, but I'm sure if I blotted it well after morning use, it'd be fine.
I also want to note that I tried the OCM with combos of oils and my skin really didn't like it. It loved the EVOO alone, though, so don't let bad experiences with other oils scare you off from trying this!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by jenwa01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I've been using California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the last five weeks. (I believe I paid about $8 for a 16.9 ounce bottle.) I started noticing a difference by the end of week one but forced myself to wait on this review because I wanted to see if I experienced any of the breakouts other reviewers reported.

I started using it after reading the reviews here, when I was searching for a solution to the vicious eczema breakout on my hands. I'm in Minnesota and every winter wreaks havoc on my skin.

The first thing I want to say in regards to the people experiencing burning and breakouts is they may be using bad olive oil. A lot of olive oil imported from Italy is a mix of other low quality oils. Any olive oil sold in a clear bottle is not high quality, any oil without an expiration date, without a stamp showing what harvest it's from, is not from a high quality brand oil. Odds are good the people breaking out are slathering other oils on their faces and aren't even realizing it. (Google it, there are a ton of articles on the subject and you'll find good guidance on what to look for/the better brands to buy.)

I can't say enough good things about the product I'm using. My only complaint is I'm a very scent-oriented person and I'm not a fan of the smell. In spite of this, I'm putting a couple tablespoons of this in my bathwater at night and I'm putting it on my face and hands at bedtime. My skin hasn't ever been in such amazing condition. I tried coconut oil last winter and even that didn't do what this stuff is doing for me now.

I've had absolutely no breakouts. I was really worried about that. I have very sensitive skin and I've endured some terrible breakouts in my life. It does feel counterintuitive putting something this oily all over your face. I like to wash my face with raw organic honey mixed with baker's sugar first. Then, while my face is still wet, I dab on this olive oil. I usually do this about 30 minutes before I go to bed so I can sit around and watch tv for a bit with the oil kind of settling in and then I take a clean, dry washcloth and press it gently against my face to absorb any excess. It doesn't get on my bedding. (I have white bedding, so I'd definitely notice if it did.)

My skin is so, so, SO soft. The eczema on my hands cleared right up. My face... wow. The tone is even, it's reduced my pores, my cheeks are pink - it's worked like some kind of miracle elixer because my T zone has dried up and the flaky cheeks aren't flaky anymore. The only makeup I wear now is eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. I don't need foundation or powder, my actual skin looks pretty just as it is. I'm 41. I've been compulsively blotting oil off my face since I was 16 and wouldn't have dreamed of leaving the house without powder as recently as October. I never thought there would be a point in my life when I would be powder/blotting paper free and yet here I am.

I love this stuff. LOVE it. I believe the raw organic honey (I bought mine from Trader Joe's for about $6) and twice weekly plain 2% greek yogurt masks (I like Fage, I get it for $1.34 at Target) have been fantastic as well; my skin seems to be responding really well to these all natural treatments. I have used no soap/chemicals at all on my face in the last five weeks. Other than my makeup.

Thumbs way up for this product. Highly recommended as a moisturizer. Make sure your skin is wet before you apply it. A little goes a long way. If you mix it with scented epsom salts when you bathe, your bathwater (and you) will smell like the epsom salts instead of the olive oil.

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No