August 20, 2014 | 1731 users online

Gels/Soaps - LUSH - Whoosh Shower Jelly

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 1:17:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lush's Whoosh Shower Jelly is a semi-solid shower gel meant to "sort out your cloudy, sleepy head and give you a boost to wake you up." Lush also claims that this jelly helps cure jetlag. This is my first shower jelly. The formula of Whoosh features grapefruit, rosemary, and geranium oil. The grapefruit juice is antibacterial, and is meant to combat breakouts. The rosemary and geranium oils are meant to balance and revitalize. Whoosh also contains lemon and lime juices, which act as astringents. Lush products are cruelty free and made in Canada. I purchased the smaller, 3.5oz jar for $5.95, the larger 8.4oz size sells for $10.95. Like many Lush products, Whoosh has an expiration date, but their employees have told me that unless the products contain egg or dairy product, you don't need to follow the expiry date too closely. My jar of Whoosh is nearly a month "expired" and it seems to be holding up well. Actually I've never used a Lush product that wasn't expired. Oops. I purchase my Lush products at the Lush in Macy's in downtown Pittsburgh, but Lush is also available in their own free standing stores, as well as online.
Packaging is a clear plastic jar with a screw on lid. This jar qualifies as a "black pot" for Lush's private recycling program, but of course it's recyclable in any program that takes 5's. The black label on the top of the lid offers a brief, playful description of Whoosh, as well as some directions. The label on the front of the jar features a full ingredient list. There is an additional sticker on the back with the expiration date, as well as the person who made the product. My jar of Whoosh was made by Dil. He looks like a pretty happy guy.
Lush calls their shower jellies one of their most innovative products, and I have to agree. I've never seen what's essentially a solid shower gel before. Whoosh is a big, wiggly, jiggly, fun to play with lump of teal jelly. At least it used to be, before I cut it up into little 1" cubes for easier use. The texture of Whoosh is very slick and slippery, dropping this in the shower is inevitable, so do be careful when using it. Boyfriend had a near death experience when using Whoosh. Personally, I prefer to mash a cube of Whoosh into my pouf and it use it that way. A 1" cube produces enough lather to wash my whole self. Whoosh needs a lot of time and effort to really work into a smooth lather without any little bits of jelly left in it. Lush says you can also use their shower jellies as a shampoo. I'd probably need another full cube of it for that, but I've decided not to use Whoosh in my hair, as I'm having issues with it at the moment and don't want to exacerbate the situation. Though shower jellies are safe to be stored at room temperature, Lush recommends chilling it or freezing it for a "extra cool shower experience", though I use it at room temperature, mostly out of laziness.
I'm kinda on the fence about Whoosh's scent. It's not exactly bad, but it's a very house-hold cleaner, citrus-y scent that's pretty strong in the jar, and while you use it, but it doesn't linger on the skin at all. To me Whoosh smells strongly of citrus peels, mainly grapefruit, which isn't something I really want to smell like, but I guess it's energizing in the "we already ate breakfast without you and didn't clean up" way. Whoosh also has an earthy quality to it, perhaps from the geranium oil? Whatever Whoosh smells like, I'm not really partial to it. It's not a prohibitively bad scent that I don't want to use, but it's not a scent that excites me either. I don't want to smell like grapefruit peels and flowers my mum grows. I also don't find it energizing at all. I'm just kinda meh about Whoosh's scent.
Actually I'm pretty "Meh" about this product in general. It doesn't seem to benefit my skin in any way, and really strikes me as a gimmicky, novelty product. Shower Jellies don't do anything a traditional, liquid shower gel doesn't, aside from making me feel like I'm washing myself with jello, which is probably my favorite part about Whoosh. I find this shower jelly kinda inconvenient to use. Whoosh also didn't help my jetlag in the slightest, which is really disappointing because this is mostly why I wanted this product, though honestly I can't say I expected Whoosh to correct my 14 hour time confusion.
I'm pretty glad I got the smaller size of Whoosh, as this alone will take me ages to go through, it probably will legit go off before I can use it up. At least I'm one step closer to a free fresh face mask, right? I know I like those. I think it's safe to assume I won't be repurchasing Lush's Whoosh Shower Jelly. I don't recommend it, but have a go at it if it sounds like something you'd like, or want a soap that's fun to play with.

-P.S, this gave boyfriend red splotches all over, so be careful with this product if you have sensitive skin, or if you have citrus or rosemary sensitivities.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Smells like lemon Pledge furniture polish. I know how to use the shower jellies but this scent is a no no for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/27/2012 2:04:00 AM More reviews by Kdids520

I was not impressed with this stuff. I followed the SA's advise and cut the initial chunk into small, easy-to-handle bits. I think stored them back in the originial container. I'd be so bold to say that it'd be darn near impossible to use in a large chunk. It does later and smell very nice, but it didn't make me feel clean like a body wash or soap would. I will not be repurchasing and I'm glad I only bought the small size.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by irisng

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product. It smells so good - minty and fresh. It's extremely fun to play with in the shower. Unfortunately, it's easy to break- since it is a shower jelly. It doesn't last as long as the soaps, which is why I wouldn't purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2012 12:40:00 PM More reviews by wixter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my second pot of this because I love it so much! Very little goes such a long way. I bought the small pot to try it out, and it lasted me 6-7 months. Don't take the entire thing out of the pot, though. Break it apart in pieces and lather it up in a shower pouf. It lathers up really nicely and leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. It smells like lemongrass and really awakens my senses in the morning or when my head is very groggy. I smell it without taking a shower just for the awakening ability! I will forever buy Whoosh. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 1:19:00 AM More reviews by LameAssCatLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

I cut this into cubes so I'm not fumbling around in the shower trying to squeeze off a chunk to mash into my loofa!

I use this when I shower in the morning, the scent is a major wake up!

My favorite LUSH product!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

Interesting - YES!
Fun - YES!
Great gift Idea - YES!

Dangerous - HELL YES!

I recently went to a lush store over the weekend, I purchase a small tub of Whoosh only because lets face it the concept of a blue jelly body wash/soap that has a strong citrus scent....you just cant say no!
Anyways, used it that night in the shower, it kept slipping out of my hand and nearly sent me to the emergency room with a fractured neck.
I now use this as a hand wash, and possibly thinking about chucking it out.
It does lathers up really well, but so hard to grip, and also so hard to break apart. it was quiet expensive at $6.95 for a small tub, about the size of a small yoghurt container.
I would repurchase this again however as gifts for friends I dont like!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by jellyfiish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first shower jelly, recommended to me by a good friend. I love all things citrusy, but for someone who doesn't enjoy citrus scents this would not be for you. I use this with a bath brush, slathering it into the bristles with my hand until all the pieces are dissolved, then I use it on my body. I find if I try to use it on its own pieces fall out of my hands and down the drain, and that is a waste of such an expensive product. Overall I think it's a pretty good shower cleanser and I recommend it to people who like zesty scents.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2011 1:20:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

This scent is great for waking you up in the morning. It's quite refreshing and smells of citrus (lemon, lime and grapefruit). The texture feels like jelly - very slimy and can be a little challenging to grab a hold of. I like to take a small chunk and use it with a loofah otherwise it just slips right out of my hands, wasting the product. You can place this in the fridge as well to firm it up if it becomes too "mushy". It lathers very well and isn't drying on my skin. The scent is meant to be unisex, so it may not be too appealing for some. However, it doesn't linger so it isn't a big deal for me. To me, it doesn't smell very masculine, just very fresh/clean.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2011 4:33:00 PM More reviews by foreverstella21

I love this product! The smell is amazing; citrusy and fresh, perfect for those groggy Monday mornings or if you just want to be super clean.
It's kind of difficult to get the actual product into your loofah. It slips sometimes and falls down the drain.
Tip- Put this product in the fridge at least two hours before using. When you use it, it feels so nice and cool. I recommend this for the summertime.
Plus, the price for the amount is phenomenal. $5.95 for a shower jelly that lasts at least 3 months? Amazing. You only need a quarter size amount for every time you use it.
Unfortunately, the scent doesn't have a lingering power. It's a faint smell- you can barely tell it's there. Wish it did have more of a lingeringness- would have enjoyed the product even more.
Overall, I love this product. It's great!