The Body Shop Africa Spa Body Salt Scrub

3.9

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

To me, this product is more like a body mask instead of a "Scrub". Reason being, while it does contain granules of salt in it that exfoliates to a certain extent, it does not perform a great job for exfoliating because the salt melts almost immediately especially in the steamy bath room.

I used this together with St Ives Apricot scrub and I must say that the results is very impressive, and spa-worthy. The Africa Salt Scrub contains shea butter, a moisturising property for the skin. It left my skin feeling soft and imparts a certain glow to the skin, therefore I only use this scrub whenever I need a 'pick-me-up' or special occasion. Left me smelling good as well.

I scrub my body for about 5 minutes, and leave it on for another 5 minutes before rinsing it off.

A little pricey for what you get, but go ahead and indulge if you're in need for some pampering !

This one's a 'fail' for me - hate the packaging (fiddly to open and gets rusty), really overpriced, not particularly effective. Avon used to make a product called something like "Africa Spa Wisdom" which had a really similar product with the same nice fragrance, but 40AUD cheaper! The Avon one's been discontinued (boo) so now I'm using a Neutrogena product instead, which has a nice lemony scent and feels like it's giving you a proper scrub. If someone gave me this product as a gift I wouldn't return it (although I'd put it in a different container!), but for my money it's just bad value.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

First of all, I think the jar is really cute :)

I've noticed the skin on my legs are so much smoother after a few days of using this, I was more than amazed! My legs were very rough, the pores are disgusting due to a very bad allergy I had when I was little. So yea, my legs are smoother than ever!! LOVE it.

I know it's pretty pricey ($28 + tax), but i also think a little goes a long way, so this should last me a long time ;) can't wait to try other body shop products now!!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This is one of the best body scrub I ever tried, if not the best.And this is coming from a girl who has them all ( almost!), from La prairie, Darphin, Ysl, dior,Juvena,One minute manicure to Givenchy,Clarins,Origins,Bliss labs,Murad,Orlane,Dermalogica, Solessence ( best kept secret-scrub of the stars-this is HG) and a few others...I kid you not, I have these in my bathroom and use them regularly!
The list is endlless,and as a result my bathroom is like my own sephora shop
To be truthful,I've never even tried a body shop product on my own volition, I just don't shop there, and over time, I have received sets of shower gels and body butters from friends that left me unimpressed, and the only body shop product I do own and would actually buy is the jasmin neroli perfume oil ( well, it's been discontinued but I have stocked up 6 bottles, so that should last a lifetime!).
So,you can't imagime my suprise when I tried this scrub. I received it in a kit from a good friend who knows how obsessed I am with soft skin,and the set had this and a matching hand and foot cream and the dreamboat bath milk. The cream and the scrub both come in these big heavy glass jars.
Just looking at them, I dreaded their use! I opened the jars and tried to smell them, but the scent was very faint and "blah", so I thought nothing of it, so put them aside.
Anyway, one in evening, I was bored and decided to try the scrub.
First off, you need time for this one.This isn't one of these srcubs you keep in the shower, splash on and rinse.
The consistency is like hard wax, so it takes a bit of effort to take it out of the jar and apply on your body.it will take you 10 mns to apply this all over.I did it out of my shower , the good news is: it doesn't run and doesn't flake, so you can do it in or out of the shower.I did it out because I had a face mask on and figured why waste the time?
After application, I rubbed all parts for 2 minutes,and then had my shower, and that when the best part happened: the sent was released, and it smells DIVINE, not only that, but once out of the shower the skin is baby soft ( actually a baby will envy you!). You don't even need to apply a moisturizer ( or body oil or whatever) as the skin is soft and moisturized, and the scent lingers on for hours on my skin.
Since then, I found out of course ,this can be ordered online,and have purchased several jars to stock up before they discontinue, and at $28 the jar,it's pretty good and actually quite cheap compared to my La prairie which is 3 times that or even my Juvena which run over $120 for a 200 ml body scrub!
This is an instance where "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply.Actually, you will get more than what you pay for.
Now, I need to go an investigate more body shop products!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

What I liked about this scrub:
-the scent is AMAZING. For some reason, it makes me think of DKNY fragrance (the original).
-it feels luxurious on the skin

What I didn't like about it
-not too much exfoliation going on
-if the packaging is kept in the shower, the metal wiring gets rusty and unattractive
-it's way too EXPENSIVE for such a small amount of product! I can get organic and high-quality salt/sugar body scrubs of the same size for nearly half the price.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I love this scrub. It's best to use it right before you get in the shower to get the maximum exfoliation effect because it dissolves quickly. It has a lovely, delicate scent. My skin always feels great after I use this, I like to moisturize with the Vitamin E Body Butter from the Body Shop right after my shower, and the combo of those two is awesome.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this stuff. I always tend to be given body scrubs and I never really use them. I've had very high end (Molten Brown, and no-name budget versions). I LOVE this. I use it when I want to pamper myself. I'd use it more often but I find it extremely expensive (although it does last a while given that it works well and you don't have to use too much at a time).

I usually prefer chemical exfoliants to physical ones, but this isn't too harsh on my skin. the salt particles work well as a scrub and then just melt away and the shea butter moisturises perfectly. I love the scent as well. I use in conjunction with L'Oreal Exfotonic (which is cheaper and has an AHA) and between the two I no longer get the occasional bumps I used to on my arms.

TBS has just reformulated this scrub (its now listed as having Ximenia as an ingredient), and I haven't tried the new version, I'll edit when I have.

I don't like the packaging. I tend to use this in the shower and having a flip top lid means that if I'm not careful water can get in the contents and the metal of the lid goes rusty.

Overall I really like this product.
It is a balmy type of scrub. Its quite gentle and moisturising.
Love the fragarance too! I feel really pampered after using it.

For better exfoliationg effect I would turn the shower off (I apply my hair treatment as well so it has plenty of time to work) pat my skin with towel a but to absorb excess misture (but it don't want it to be dry) and apply this scrub in circular motion. Voila! My skin is soft and glowing!

I took one lippy off because this scrub is not very exfoliating (compared to my all time favorite L'Oreal), it costs $49.95 AUD in TBS store (I got it off internet for $20 which I think is more realistic price for it). And the jar can be a bit hard to use because the metal rusts easily, I have to store it away from moist places.

seems to me like the body shop either is a hit or a miss with their products...yes this scrub has a beautiful fragrance, yes its thick and creamy, but it just didn't do wonders for my skin, like it has been said to. i went into the body shop, with intentions of only to look at a few products, including the spa wisdom line, but after the SA praised this product, i was sold....a few problems...the jar, its annoying, but if the product inside was any better, i wouldn't care about this aspect.....however, it isnt. the exfolitation in this product is barely there, it just seems more or less like honey/shea butter, which sounds great, especially for all year dry skin. the only problem is that you're washing it off, so how are the moisturizing benefits going to work? salt is known to still dry your skin out incredibly, so youre still going to need a moisturizer after this! this scrub is basically a thick cream, with little bits of salt in it..it doesn't moisturize, most of the product just ends down the drain...lastly,.it doesn't moisturize because its not being rubbed into your skin, its just suppose to exfoliate, which it doesn't even do!, for the price, this product isn't worth it. ill stick to to a gritty scrub to get a proper scrub and then just moisturize after...

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this scrub......the scent is very subtle.....I used this 3X a week and it makes my skin very smooth. Highly recommended!

Top Rated The Body Shop Products