Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 11/13/2014 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I too was a victim of this very very dangerous skin care product that hides behind many articles and reviews that rave about how natural and good this is for your Skin.

Be very very aware because this can be the end of your skin. And I mean it. I will tell you my story and you'll decide if you give this a go or not. Also understand that everyone reacts different to things. But with this you should be specially careful because it can either give you perfect skin or a skin full of cystic acne that will leave you with scars, many many scars. Or it can give you both. Perfect skin for a couple of months follow by a face full of cysts.

So after changing my diet I decided to change skin care products. Sure enough coconut super hype oil was at the front of all the other natural products. Even though I read the bad reviews, and even though I knew the comedogenic scale of this oil is 4 out of 5, I decided to ignore this vital facts and give it a go. I really thought I was a special snowflake and that somehow the laws of physics didn't apply to me. Well what a mistake that was cuz 3 months after using ORGANIC extra virgin coconut oil, hell broke lose. At least 3 new cyst every day for at least 3 weeks with no breaks. It's been 7 months and I still haven't got better. My skin has been violated multiple times and then some by coconut oil. My pores are so sore from the penetration of hard cysts.

It wouldn't had been so bad if it wasn't by the fact that coconut oil made my skin GORGEOUS for 3 MONTHS! And I'm not the only one that experience this type of effect. Which is like marrying a super model just to find out 3 months later that she looks like fiona from Sherk after she takes her makeup off. False advertisement right there.

For the purpose of objectivity I will say that coconut oil help me massively with the blackheads I have in my nose. I'll say my blackheads got reduce by 70 percent. But any oil will do that if you massage it on your nose. So thank you coconut for showing me the way to clear my blackheads. Also it's supposed to be really healthy orally. And I use it for all my cooking.

In the end the choice is yours. You can either try it and regret it, try it and love it, or not try it and regret not knowing what if. But one thing is for sure, if you do try it, hold on tight, because you are about to experience the mother of all emotional roller-coaster.

on 11/13/2014 12:44:00 PM

I've only ever used cocount oil as a hair treatment so my review is solely based on that.

I mean...it's O....K, I was expecting better results after after reading all the reviews.

I heated about a table spoons worth and heated it up by putting the glass that contained it in a bowl of hot water for a minute or so. I also added a few drops of rosemary oil. I then slathered it on my hair (dry) and took a few minutes to really massage in into my scalp and frazzled ends. Seriously, my ends are begging to be put out of their misery but may hair hasn't reached a desired length where I would feel comfortable going to salon to get them chopped. Anyway, I slept with the oil on my head as I really needed a DEEP treatment. Got up in the morning, washed as usual - although I used a build up shampoo and I wasn't majorly impressed. My hair was still dry and didn't feel nourished. If anything it felt quite greasy. Greasy without being nourished if you know what I mean.

So... feeling pretty frustrated, I got to reading more reviews and came across the ones for sweet almond oil. Oh. My..... Sooo good. I slathered a load on my hair - it was pretty much the same process as the coconut oil but only this time I didn't warm it up. Straight out the bottle and onto my hair, went to sleep as usual. Washed my hair in the monring - only this time I used some ordinary shampoo rather detox shampoo and my hair felt brand new. No greasiness/residue. It felt light and nourished. I was so in love I even went one step further and rubbed a drop through my damp hair before blow drying. Again, no greasiness, just nourishment. And then - overkill, but that's me! - I rubbed another drop through my hair once it was dry and straightened. Still - NO GREASINESS!"

My hair just drinks it up and shines like i've had a professional treatment at a salon. It's remarkable. I've never come across an oil that doesn't make hair greasy. I'm guessing because my hair drinks this up it avoids the greasy look.

You can't go wrong with this. I've even spent 12 odd for Argan before and it had nowhere near the same effect, I paid 4 off for the almond oil.

I'm in love.

on 10/23/2014 11:22:00 PM

I tried this as a last ditch effort on my hair. I had dyed it 2x's and it was so dry! Mind you I have very long, thick, thirsty hair so, my hair was in need of moisture! I heat this in a bowl under hot to warm water. I use a clean spoon and take out about 5 tablespoons and plop it in my hair dye bowl. I fill my sink just enough so the bottom will heat the oil. I then add it to my hair especially my ends and I massage my scalp. I get either scalp dermatitis or psoriasis on my scalp in the winter. So a scalp massage does not make me oily. I massage and put my hair in a bun with the oil all up in my hair. I usually give it an hour more if I can I shampoo and condition like usual. I like One n Only Argan shampoo and conditioner. I add a little Argan oil on the ends and I actually have smooth,manageable, soft hair!

I can use it on my skin but I really love this for my hair. I finally have it feeling soft and looking healthy. I now also have a healthy scalp no more itching or gross flakes. It finally feels normal! I know it's gross but to those who have this know how uncomfortable it feels! It just balances everything out. My hair feels amazing and my scalp is healthy finally! Also my hair is super shiny like it has its luster back. This product is just amazing for my hair. I purchase mine at Target and it's organic. I use it about 2x's a week depending on my needs. One of the best products I have ever used on my hair! I even put some in my ends when there dry. Makes it look so polished I couldn't be happier. Recommended!

on 10/18/2014 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Coconut oil is an amazing multipurpose product that I now swear buy. I use it to remove my makeup, moisturise my face and eye area and condition my cuticles. I use waterproof mascara and it works really well; I slather it on a cotton round, press on the eyelashes for about 10 seconds, do brushing motions downward to wipe the makeup away and clean the small corners of the eye with a Q-tip. I've had trouble with makeup removers in the past that have irritated my skin, burned my eyes or pulled out my eyelashes (a huge NO-NO). I have not experienced any breakouts with CO when I use it on my face as I fortunately have small pores and my skin is not acne-prone. I do have rosacea and very sensitive, dry skin and this stuff is perfect - just pure coconut oil that can't go wrong. It looks super greasy after applying (as you would expect) and takes a while absorbing into the skin so I only use it at night. I love how my skin feels supple and nourished after it has absorbed. Definitely recommended to those with sensitive and dry skin looking for a chemical-free, 100% natural everyday moisturiser and makeup remover.

on 9/21/2014 5:40:00 AM

A warning to all those with acne prone skin: PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! This stuff gave me THE worst breakout of my life. Im talking like massive boils all on my cheeks as well as clogging up every single pore on my face. I was using top quality organic extra virgin coconut oil and for the first 2 weeks it was great. Then I started noticing my skin was drier and I was getting these wrinkles everywhere and I'm only 20 with oily skin. My skin started getting rougher and by the 3 week point a new boil was emerginf on my face every day. I am now dealing with the hideous scarring and I am sooo upset I even decided to try this. Pleaseeee proceed with caution, if for any reason your skin changes for the worse, STOP IMMEDIATELY, there is no such thing as a "purge", your skin is trying to tell you to BACK THE HELL OFF!

on 9/16/2014 7:55:00 PM

I've heard amazing things about coconut oil so I decided to give it a try. I realized after purchasing that I bought the wrong kind (I meant to grab organic) but I've been using it anyway because, well, I did spend money on it and don't want to waste it. Anyway, I started out putting a teaspoon in my tea - well let me just tell you guys that if you have a sensitive stomach like me, please don't do this. It made me get sick. Take it with food or after you've eaten a decent meal. Now, I mix it in with my peanut butter toast and can't taste it and it doesn't make me nauseous. As for putting it on my face, I'm still a tad skeptical just because I break out so easily. It's super oily so you don't need to use much at all. It's been five days and I've noticed that my pimples are starting to finally dry up and the marks they typically leave behind are diminishing fast. I don't leave it on all night though, I put it on my face for a few hours then wash it off (apparently this helps prevent breakouts because the oil penetrates pores and cleans them out). I will purchase a higher quality CO this weekend and see if my skin continues to improve.

on 9/6/2014 2:53:00 PM

Yes, I love coconut oil. Medium-chain triglycerides, anti-microbial properties, doesn't degrade at high temperatures, etc. I use it for cooking, and I find it to be the best oil for oil-pulling. As a moisturizer, it was really good: absorbs relatively well considering it's an oil, smells heavenly, made my skin silky smooth... The problem? It gets on my clothes, my towels, my sheets... Oils are hard to get out in the wash, even with hot hot water and intense wash settings. And while coconut oil is pretty shelf stable in the jar, it's not immune to rancidity, especially if you're dipping damp hands into it or you get some water in the jar -- it does go rancid. The residual coconut oil on my clothes and towels eventually turns, and my only recourse is to get them dry cleaned or toss them. *Update 8 Oct 2014* Not even dry cleaning works, so beware.

I'm surprised so few others seem to have noticed this. I do have a more sensitive sense of smell than most, but this goes beyond that. It's unbearable. I might use it occasionally for my feet (with some designated socks) or as a brief hand treatment, but I for one cannot live with the reek.

on 9/1/2014 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

im gonna start off by saying i will never use CO on my face. i tried it once and it was a HUGE mistake. i am very acne prone and it just didnt work. anywho, i have used EVCO everyday for 4 years to take off my eye makeup. it works like a charm! its also great to use as a hair mask and awesome for cooking. try a little bit in the pan the next time you make scrambled eggs. sounds strange but you wont regret it ;)

on 8/18/2014 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I buy my coconut oil from trader joes. I love it and I use it for everything - seriously. even my children know if someone has a scratch or bug bite or dry skin, whatever, put coconut oil on it! I love to rub a little bit in my hands and smooth down my hair after I flat iron, it makes my hair so smooth and shiny. a little bit goes a long way! I have also used it on my skin for a moisturizer for face and body. no issues with body but for the face it can break me out a little. I had a rash on my face due to an allergic reaction and I applied coconut oil liberally on my face before bed and when I woke up the rash looked 10x better and I only had a couple small pimples in the following days. that is to be expected though when applying a thick layer of heavy oil on my face though :) coconut oil is a cure all and I love it!

on 8/17/2014 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like this for my hair, using a teeny dab on the ends under my styler when they are really dry, or to protect them from pool water before I swim, or sometimes just coating my hair with it, doing a run or workout, them washing it out. My guess is anyone who doesn't need conditioner every time after shampooing will hate this on their hair and find it too greasy. I can't use it on my body except for my legs, it triggers sd flares.

As for cooking....you must use it in food that goes with coconut flavor! Then it will be nice. If you use it in chocolate cake it will be chocolate coconut cake. It goes nicely with any dishes that involve pineapple or mango too. Coconut flavor just won't go with things like chicken Parmesan or pork chops with rosemary and garlic! You get a more refined coconut oil that has been deodorized of the coconut flavor for those cooking purposes.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products