October 21, 2014 | 1343 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Medium Auburn

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2009 10:27:00 PM More reviews by wishimpossiblethings

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried a dozen different auburn and red shades, but whenever I feel like toning down my color I come back to Colorsilk Medium Auburn. It adds just the right amount of auburn to my naturally ash brown hair. The color fades a little after a few weeks but still manages to have a red tint in the sunlight. At two for five bucks, this is a steal. Doesn't smell very bad, either. My only complaint would be the quality of the included gloves.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by maryann1804

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This and natural insticts in Cinnaberry are my HG hair color products! LOVE this stuff, plus it is cheaper than Natural Insticts. I have always in the passed have stayed clear away from this product thinking because the price was so cheap, it must be junk. I had some one recommend this product to me so I gave it a try. What the heck. I tried to match it up the best I could due to the fact that I use the NI in Cinnaberry. This was a perfect match. This covers greys wonderfully and it does not leave your hair dried out like some other brands do. My hair felt silky and had a nice shine to it, plus like I said, those pesky little greys were gone. I would highly recommend this to anyone. I get a good four weeks out of this color before greys start popping up. Same amount as if I were to have it professionaly done. For years I was letting my sylist color my hair which was putting me in the poor house ($75.00 not including tip) yikes!!! My hair is short, so I only need one box, for three dollars a month how can you beat it! This is a no brainer people, give it a try.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by Nadiabt

This is the worst haircolor I have used on my hair except pure bleach powder. It turned my hair so dry, tangled and impossible to comb. I have not had such bad hair for a very long time and I do color my hair very often. Will never, ever buy Revlon again. L'Oreal Excellence and Preference are so much better, never dried my hair to such extent. The color of this Revlon Auburn is also very artificial, nothing like "natural". Awful, I feel like crying for my poor hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by aebernero23

This is a really beautiful color. It has a bit more of a ruby red cast to it than I want, but it's still beautiful!!! I am more fond of L'Oreal's Excellence Creme in Light Auburn which has more brown and copper, but this is a very close second. My husband absolutely loved the richness and depth of the red of this product. I wish I liked this one as much because the price of this product is unbeatable. It's available at my local walmart for $2.95 a box. I go back and forth -- I will use this again!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2008 9:45:00 AM More reviews by Bhambelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe I was too snooty to give this a go based on price alone! I'm totally digging this! I have done the fake reds for so long that I've forgotten how lovely a more natural shade can be. This is a no-frills hair color, but that's fine with me. The process was painless, and the smell was not nearly as horrible as others. Since my hair is only around chin length, I thought that there was enough conditioner, but had my hair been even a little bit longer, I would have complained a bit. Maybe more grumbled. My hair doesn't feel all fried either. It just really looks healthy and lovely. Another fantastic find thanks to recommendations from MUA!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 6:08:00 PM More reviews by graceface07

so this is my HG haircolor. I was timid to dye my hair this color but I gave it a go. my hair is naturally a medium ash brown. this did a good job of lifting my hair color and adding a natural red warm tone. the results matched the shade on the box! next time im going to try the light auburn color silk (I bought 2 bc they were on sale 2 for $5!) awesome.

i dont recommend dying your hair red at home if you have dyed your hair black or darker than your natural shade at any point, it WILL NOT LIFT and your roots or where ever you have virgin hair will lift and you'll have red and black hair. the only way this worked for me was bc i did it on virgin hair. i guarantee. so just a warning and definately go to a professional in that case.

for maintenance I shampoo with l'oreal professional colorist in orange marigold. really helps maintain my color longer and achieve that coppery red color. OR a sulfate free shampoo such as TIGI superstar.

*for reference im nw20 skin with freckles and ever since i dyed my hair this color people are always telling me i have the best complexion. i really think its the haircolor thats enhancing my complexion.

also, when it comes to red dye it will always wash out sooner than other colors but for such a cheap price i dont mind rebuying.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by shopgirl71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Colorsilk Medium Auburn for about 6 months. I love the color and it doesn't seem to fade as quickly as other brands I have used. I try to keep my color fresh with a weekly color glaze treatment, but before I noticed within three to four weeks significant fading. With is product, I am having to redo my color every 6 weeks with some root touchup beforehand.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2008 9:43:00 AM More reviews by goshiegracie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've used Colorsilk in many different shades over the years and have always been impressed with the results. I used Medium Auburn #42 last night on my chocolate brown hair. My hair usually has some red notes but they'd faded, so I was looking to give some more red demention to my hair and this did it. My hair now is reddish brown and looks great. Colorsilk left my hair as it always does, soft, shiny, vibrant and very natural looking. And the dye doesn't smell too bad which is definately a plus. If you have hair past shoulder-length and/or is very thick buy 2 boxes. My hair is about "4 inches past my shoulders and extremely thick and I always need 2 boxes. Overall this dye is great stuff (especially for the price!), I will continue to buy it again and again :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2008 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Infraredhead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I read good reviews here on MUA about Colorsilk and a few on Naturallycurly.com and decided to try this shade out. I became tired of mixing up my own custom colors from Sally and just wanted a dummy proof auburn shade that looked natural. I know everyone raves about Robert Craig, but I want something that I can find that is five minutes away at my favorite place: Walgreens. I am one of those gals that will suddenly see her roots and wants those rascally rabbits gone in a hurry. I have been looking for something that covered up my grays which my previous hair color did not. It turned out to be a super nice shade of auburn and we all know how tricky reds can be. I didn't have as much hair in the shower either from the rinsing process and no major stains on the skin. It did turn my shower mat pink though! LOL I didn't see any gray hairs peeking through either.

My one and only complaint is the conditioner that is in the box. It works really well and gives good slip BUT the smell is noxious and I am a perfume slut by nature. The fragrance just didn't agree with me. I rinsed and rinsed too and ended up putting another conditioner on my head because the stink was giving me a migraine. Other than that I will repurchase again and just use another kind of conditioner in my arsenal. It is extremely economical.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 9:34:00 AM More reviews by katlj

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm so happy I found this! Even my Aveda Stylist compliments my hair color...of course he would rather I let him do it, but he understands that I splurge on a great cut with him because I can afford to by doing my own color.

Anyway, I use the suggestions in Carekate's n/p...I apply an oil in my hair for 20 minutes before applying the color. (I use Hollywood Beauty's Carrot Oil which can be found at any drugstore in the African American haircare section for about $4.) While ColorSilk doesn't fade as much as other home colors I've used (including the Wella at Sally's,) using the oil helps the color stay true until it's time for a touch-up.

Another thing I've tried is the red/gold base corrector at Sally's. I use about 20 drops in the Colorsilk when I want to go a little less red and a little darker. It's really pretty and I receive a ton of compliments!

For around $3 a box, this stuff is a steal -- I need 2 boxes for my hair since I've grown it past my shoulders, so this is a huge savings.