October 24, 2014 | 1640 users online

Fragrances - Hanae Mori - Butterfly EDP

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2011 8:01:00 AM More reviews by brooklynchick72

I am reluctant to turn people on to this scent, as I had to give up "Angel" when I smelled it on too many other people. Anyway, Butterfly is much lighter than Angel. It has a sweetness that I love and also a vanilla tone. However, I love light, citrusy scents and Butterfly is not too cloying for me.

I will say that in order for it to stay all day, I have to wear the lotion or cream, which are also pricey. But I'm hooked. I bought a rollerball of Butterfly, which is cheap and convenient to carry in my bag.

I hate to be cliched, but to me the best review of it is my friend's husband chose it for her as his favorite. And to be honest a straight man liking my perfume is what I am aiming for. I tried alternating with Ralph Lauren Blue until my friend Greg (straight) said "Blue" smelled like his Grandma. Now Butterfly is my every day scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by raindrops_on_roses

Butterfly is like a popular girl in high school who hangs out with her other ditzy friends Pink Sugar and Fantasy. Then you spend some time with her and realize there's a lot more to her than meets the eye. Even though she keeps company with the ditzes, there's some depth to her, and she's actually pretty great. This is how I think of Butterfly EDP. Yes, it is sweet. There's no denying that. But instead of a wallop of buttercream or cotton candy hitting you over the head then staying for 8 hours, the notes here comingle and develop on the skin so beautifully into something that is very sensual and grown-up. I can pick out the almond, strawberry, cedar, sandalwood, and floral notes. I will always have this in my collection. I also love that it can be found so cheaply online!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by sfreeman87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this perfume. It is rather expensive, but I love it. A very gourmand vanilla-ish type scent, and is a little earthy. I find that the dry down is much more earthy on me, and it dries to a nice scent after a few minutes.
I've never been one to re-buy perfumes, but that is probably because I am always trying new ones, and it take me so long to finish one bottle.
Normally I am more a fan of the fruity or green scents, or strict orientals, but I quite love this.
I originally bought it as a roll-on, and loved it so much I bought the full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by cinnamoroll65

This perfume is heaven sweet scent! I couldnt stop smelling my wrist after putting this on. Itlast long and I feel like im a princess when i wear this . its makes me happpppy and sweet innocent girl yet elegant and myterious at the same time. its the best and gives me the feeling of i smelll REALLLLY GOOD and MAKES ME FEEL GOOD.:)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2011 2:44:00 AM More reviews by tiantianlu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I found HM to be just average but it really grows on me more and more and more. I bought the EDP set with the lotion. The blue box is the EDP and the pink box is the EDT. They are both the exact same fragrance but the EDP has a stronger perfume content than the EDT so no worries! The scent is a sophisticated mix of powdery, woody, and floral. I'm usually a woody-oriental/gourmand/foody scent kind of girl (after I got bored with florals) so this was right up my alley. HM is more of a serious version of the otherwise playful gourmand category, but I like it. It adds diversity. I wouldn't say I find the scent to be yummy but I do find it to be intriguing and I can't help but want to keep smelling it until my nose is numb to the scent. I guess I just want to be able to find out which perfume category I would put this under, but it's still really hard to have it fall under 1 type. You could even say HM has that certain je ne sais quoi! The lasting powering is incredible! I'd say HM can even be a year round fragrance -- it's powerful & dense enough to be worn in the fall/winter and yet light and airy enough for spring/summer. When I smell it, I imagine a picture of a girl wearing a floral dress with a flirty cardigan & some oxfords. (Not sure if that's a good way to describe a scent.) Overall it's a very versatile perfume & is sure to deliver. Just go easy when you're spraying! ***It goes on sale at TJ Maxx, online flash sale sites, and such so don't feel like you need to shell out all that cash! Don't do it! Just be patient and wait for the sales. Way more bang for your buck.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2011 6:09:00 PM More reviews by lysaly

I first smelled this from a free sample I got from Sephora!
I liked it a lot! To me, it smelled like cotton candy. Its not my favorite scent but it's nice to have. I got the 1 oz EDP thru a swap! I'm happy with it. No need to repurchase, will probably last me a lifetime!
I must say, retail price is pretty steep though. I'm glad I got mine thru a swap.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 11:08:00 PM More reviews by PeeWeeScaresMe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this in a sample size from sephora, and I am extremely disappointed in this scent!! I love sweet and sugary scents, but this is sickening -- I spritzed on a little bit on my wrists and within 10 minutes I had to wash it off. Very nasty and cheap smelling but at least I didn't actually pay anything for this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 6:11:00 PM More reviews by hellraz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Butterfly is very different from my usual faves (D&G L'Amoureaux, Versace Versense, Versace Dreamer) which tend towards green/unisex, but it's unique which is why I like it. Soft and sweet, and has great staying power and sillage without being overpowering. It's difficult to tell exactly what it smells like which I like - not specifically vanilla but vanilla-esque and powdery. There's nothing more boring to me than smelling just 'vanilla' or 'fruity' etc...this frag is complex enough to avoid that. My bf who never comments on (or seems to notice) my perfumes made the comment 'YOU smell good' the first time I wore this. (As opposed to 'That PERFUME you're wearing smells good'.) I'll be buying this again since it makes us both happy! Btw, I don't know what the difference is, but the box mine came in had pink butterflies on it instead of blue. Not sure if the frag is different for each color? Also the bottle is very pretty, but the cap is plastic, not glass as stated on Sephora's site. It cost USD$90.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2010 11:34:00 AM More reviews by misroule

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just don't get this scent. I got a sample from Sephora and it smells just like Vanilla Fields from the 90's. No thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2010 7:57:00 PM More reviews by orangebloom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is now my number one fragrance. I love the sweetness of it but it is sweet and refined; not sweet and girly. Whenever I catch whiffs of it I just inhale deeply and sigh. Love it.