October 23, 2014 | 911 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Semi-Matte Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by alynnn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I just finished trying out all of my free samples from EDM, and I have to say that this makeup is AWESOME! I have fairly sensitive skin, and I have not had any problems with this makeup. I tried a sample of 4 different colors of foundation (they call their foundation base) in semi-matte and the it formula. I also sampled the finishing dust and one blush. All for $4 total because you have to pay shipping. I have seen some reviews that dock points from EDM because they say it looks like makeup, but I am pretty sure that those people did not find their correct color match. The linen, fair and fairly light neutral were NOT my color match. They still looked good and blended nicely, they just did not look as natural overall. The fairly light was the best match for me. Even my husband approves, and he normally thinks I should not bother with any makeup!

My one and only complaint on this makeup would be the numerous choices. I almost left their site and gave up all-together. Base? Face? Finishing powder? I had no clue where to start. I am glad I did a little research and figured out that the base IS the foundation, and it is really all that you need. The blush and finishing powder were nice extras since you get to try 7 samples for free (plus $4 shipping)!

A few additional facts:

1. Customer service with EDM is fantastic! I ordered Thursday NIGHT, and I received immediate order confirmation and tracking number. The order arrived Monday. I also emailed them to inquire about the amount of product in their big size, and they emailed back within an hour!

2. I also ordered a sampler from Faerie Organics. The shipping on FO took a lot longer, so I tried EDM simply because it came first in the mail. I like it so much I might not even bother to try FO! But that said, EDM big size foundation is $12.99 for only 4.8 g. FO is $18.50 but comes with 9 g. This means that price per gram, EDM is actually more expensive. So, I will give FO a try too once I am all done testing out my EDM.

Bottom line: You should order your 7 free samples ($4 shipping) ASAP!!! Definitely worth a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2012 2:24:00 AM More reviews by betriix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

[I also posted this review under the matte formula, because I use these two formulas interchangeably and don't notice much difference, if any.]

I'm not sure if this is the best mineral foundation out there, but so far it's the only line I've tried that has a good match for me. The shade is called Light. It's a creamy light yellow shade with a little peach. There is no discernible olive whatsoever, and very little beige. (Yes, I've tried Meow's Manx and Chartreux, but they were either too yellow or too peach). Granted I am extremely color sensitive, because I'm a retoucher for work, so I'm used to discerning subtle color shifts that require an almost extra sensory perception. But damnit, I want my skin to look like MY skin!
I'm ashamed to say that I've become obsessed with finding my HG over the past two months and have purchased way more samples than I care to calculate. My sister came over the other night and saw my millions of packets in the bathroom with labeled swatches painted onto paper towels, etc. She was like "Oookaaaay... "
The only other one that came close was Alima Warm 3, but I got excited and used it up too quickly to give it a good, careful comparison with EDM Light.
Everyday Minerals foundations have a different finish from most other MMUs. They use primarily mica in their formulations. There are pros and cons of this. On the pros side, mica melts into the skin like nothing else. It is dense and suede-like in texture and lays into the skin almost like a cream. It doesn't have the light, powdery, dust-in-the-air qualities of other MMU. I'm not sure that there is a definite con side, but it depends on your taste and your skin. It's hard to describe what the heavy mica does to the finish. It can be extremely natural and dewy. It leaves a very rich finish compared with zinc and titanium. I don't know how else to put it. On the other hand, depending on your skin and how much you've applied, it CAN look a bit heavy in some lighting. Yet in most lighting it looks incredibly flattering. Very confusing.
EDM hasn't officially won as my HG. I feel slightly mixed about the finish, and yet so far I feel there are more advantages than disadvantages. The color, of course, works for me, but I'm going to try Silk Naturals mix-your-own style MMU before I give up on my HG search. I'd love to be able to adjust color at will. The question is, will I be able to mix up something as flattering as EDM Light? And will I miss all that creamy mica goodness?
I should note that Lumiere also uses a lot of mica. I just tried samples today, but alas both the Gold and the Warm look green on me. I don't get it. The models on the website don't look green. But as soon as I opened the package, I could see it. Okay people, I'm not a Vulcan. Seriously?
Anyway, I recommend giving EDM a try. There are some beautiful colors, even though the color scheme doesn't make sense, and the colors are poorly described on the website. Samples are free though, which is fantastic. By the way, I've not noticed much difference in the Matte and Semi-Matte formulas. The intensive seems a bit chalky though, so I steer clear of that one. The packaging works, but I wish they were glass instead of white plastic. Makes them look a bit cheap. Oh well. Good product overall for sure.
One more thing, don't try their "Golden Beige" concealer (Formulated for light to medium complexions with soft yellow undertones) unless you have medium to dark brown skin. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2012 3:29:00 AM More reviews by Angeluhh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite thing about EDM is the color selection--any bizarre skin tone you might have, and there's a good match for it. The semi-matte has a good finish and looks quite natural, and in Light Olive can't even be distinguished from my natural skin tone.
The problem, though, is that this probably isn't the best choice for those of us with dry/dehydrated skin. I love it, but if I don't want my skin to look like it's just flaking off, I have to go through some steps: Moisturize, moisturize more, use a moisturizing primer, then finally apply the foundation. For people with oilier skin than mine and/or who live in a wetter climate, I definitely recommend it.

Update 8/2/2014:
As of the last order I placed (during a humid summer and when I treat my skin enough, yes I still wear it all the time) the names of the colors have changed--what was "light olive" is now "golden ivory". It seems otherwise the same. However, along with the name change, the packaging has changed as well. The sifter part of the jar is easier to open now, but I've noticed that the holes are smaller so that less product comes out. No matter; that's what power tools are for. A little bit of Dremel action and the sifter jar dispenses the right amount of product. If you don't have a rotary tool or drill handy, though, this seems like a hassle!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2012 6:01:00 PM More reviews by LLark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation and I own it in every formulation, my semi-matte is in the color Golden Medium. The problem is that I haven't been able to get it to stay on my skin long enough for me to really be able to recommend it. I have tried primers, setting mist, everything I can think of but after a couple of hours MAX it just blotches off and melts. So, if anyone can recommend a method of getting this to last longer I would love to know!

PROS: Great buildable coverage, beautiful shades in a variety of undertones that are blendable and natural, feels light and comfortable on the skin, semi-matte finish is very natural and great for every day

CONS: Terrible staying power, melts off with sweat, humidity, and even indoors it melts away after a couple of hours. The staying power is so bad that even though I LOVE everything else about this foundation, I just can't justify wearing it because it's going to look terrible after a couple hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2012 5:37:00 PM More reviews by ecobeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

The best mineral makeup I have ever used. It does not irritate my skin. It doesn't last all day, but I also do not use a primer. I love being able to order samples. I usually order the samples in a few different colors, mix them in a jar and use them that way. I get to custom blend my color and it is very inexpensive. I recommend them to everyone I know, you can't lose ordering their samples, they only charge shipping.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2012 5:58:00 PM More reviews by definebeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i have the color winged butter. it's a perfect match to my awkward yellow/pale skin tone. it's actually the only one i can use, can't really get away with any other color. i got the matte version in a sample i ordered and it looked really powdery and cakey and it took the majority of the dimension of my face away basically. in the sample set i took the semi matte just in case i didn't like the matte and i really like it. it looks matte but it doesn't look cakey or powdery it looks like skin.
they were having a 40% off sale on these but i missed it with my indecisiveness :/ so i'm waiting for another sale to but the BIG size. love love love.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2012 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Marsaries

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG, I so wanted to love this...

It started well. For about a week it looked great on my skin when used properly - you have to buff it in really well otherwise it can look very powdery - and the Fair shade was also a perfect match to my skin tone. A week later, my oily skin turned into rubber... It was completely dried out, red, itchy, horrible. So I stopped and my skin got better very quickly.

I have used different mineral foundations over the years and this is the one that gave me the worst reaction, I have since gone back to my Missha BB Cream.

EDM brushes are awesome though...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by mysticachai

READ the ingredient list! It's so short and simple which is why I love this company. They really care about what goes on your skin. I love this foundation in Peaches. I use it everyday. It doesn't irritate my skin and gives my skin a healthy glow. It's the perfect amount of coverage for work. Their powder concealers also work surprisingly well. The packaging could be made a little stronger since the lids chip after a while. I really recommend this product because it is simple, natural and looks great on skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by sexkittn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ordered a BUNCH of samples and found my match in winged butter. I normally wear MAC studio fix/sff in NC25. This color is great for me (light/med skintone with warm undertones) and leaves no lines of demarcation. It also doesn't leave a white or ashy cast to my skin like Bare Escentuals did. Offers a medium coverage and natural looking finish (my mom actually commented on how great my skin looked today out in natural sunlight). Def give it a try and order their samples!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by blythegraves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used EDM before and after their formula change, since about 2006. I have not had any irritations or breakouts like some reviewers have noted due to the Lauroyl Lysine (coconut amino acid). I actually really like the formula change with the addition of Lauroyl Lysine-- it makes the foundation super creamy and long lasting. EDM does not oxidize, yay! I found bareMinerals, Alima Pure, and other mineral foundations to oxidize when they warm up on skin.

I use "Sandy Fair" or "Linen" (fair w/ neutral undertones) with their "Finishing Dust" and it lasts all day, usually with no touch-ups. I also mist my face with rosewater/glycerine to set my makeup-- any pure mist (in an atomizer spray bottle) will do, though. No irritation or break-outs; very pure formula. The color really fits my skin tone and livens it up, giving a refreshed dewy/glowing look. The semi-matte formula is so creamy and seems to melt into skin, erasing any imperfections (does not highlight pores, dry spots, and lines like Bare Minerals). If you have extra dry skin: exfoliate, moisturize, and try applying the foundation with a damp foundation brush (or mix the foundation into your fav moisturizer). I used to use Bare Minerals, but they're so high-maintenance, so I switched to EM.

This and Devita's Absolute Base Mineral Foundation are my favorite mineral foundations.