Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

4.1

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Stearic Acid, PEG 40 Stearate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Steareth 2, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein (Peptides), Green Tea Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, PVM/MA Decadene Crosspolymer, Imidazolidinyl Urea, BHT

on 5/26/2013 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This would be perfect for me if it moisturized as well, but unfortunately leaves my face rather tight-feeling. I prefer not to use multiple products, so will leave this for others to enjoy as it is effective, and love Alpha Hydrox the company - great products, great people!
Also, the packaging claims they are cruelty-free, but until they are leapingbunny.org certified, I must be suspicious.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After reading all the good reviews on this product I was hopeful it would work for me but it caused me to break out unfortunately. Granted I was not using it for anti-aging effects, I was using it for acne due to the glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is the only thing that helps my acne. I currently use the alpha hydrox face cleanser and the oil free glycolic acid face gel which works wonders for me not to mention the glycolic acid is helping remove acne marks which is an added bonus. I thought maybe the soufflé would work well as a night cream since I wanted something more moisturizing at nighttime but after using it I noticed some acne so I stopped using it thinking maybe it was another product and then I started up again only using the soufflé and I got acne again, so I sadly had to stop. I also noticed my face less oily after I stopped using it so not only was it causing acne but it also made my face oilier. So now I just use the alpha hydrox gel along with aloe gel at night and that’s enough moisturizing. I think if my face was dry or if I had dry aging skin it would maybe work better? However everyone’s skin works differently. The price was reasonable so I would recommend someone with dry skin or dry and aging skin to give it a try because other people seem to love it, however if you have acne prone oily skin that gets clogged pores easily I would not recommend it, try the alpha hydrox oil free glycolic acid gel instead, it works for me.

on 3/26/2013 11:32:00 PM

So props to them for finally putting the product in a tube. I bought it to try it out and the morning after I applied it, every pore on my chin and jawline was clogged and itchy. I never break out there so it's definitely not purging. I'm not very acne prone either- I can get away with a lot of potential cloggers. But this was a no go for me.

on 12/2/2012 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have to say kudos to the folks at Alpha Hydrox for this product! For the price, I don't think I've ever used anything else that makes my skin glow like this stuff does. Yes it's a jar and I would prefer it wasn't. Yes, it sometimes stings my skin but I get used to it again. Yes, the smell is a bit funky. More importantly, yes, my skin glows and my pores shrink when I use this regularly. This product seems to make more of a visible difference than my retinol products and for me, that is huge. Everything I use is better when I use this formulation regularly. Moisturizers sink in better, foundation goes on smoother, etc. It has a good concentration of glycolic acid for the price. I have pretty fair skin without a huge amount of sun damage but it's still aging and doesn't turn over cells like it once did. No matter what age I've been, this product has been incredible. When I was younger, it help with lessening the production of oil in my skin and now it helps brighten it up. This product doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and added ingredients but for a glycolic acide product, I find that to be important. I like the fact that the Alpha Hydrox folks don't tinker a lot with their products. This refines my skin like nothing else and is a lot cheaper than the retinol product I also use and I feel more effective. It is an acid so some stinging may occur but my skin is tough so I don't really mind. It's a small price to pay in my opinion. Once again, just because a product is inexpensive doesn't mean it isn't effective. I'm a label reader and have been for some time and that is what mainly influences what I purchase.

on 10/16/2012 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I tried this because of all the rave reviews this souffle was getting. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my sensitive skin. Don't get fooled by the name of this product (like I did) -- it isn't a "souffle". I thought it was going to be a light, airy cream. However, turns out that it is really thick and oily. I wasn't that disappointed though, because I don't have oily skin so usually my skin absorbs rich products just fine. But this was way too oily for me. The oily film from the cream just kind of sits on top of my face without sinking in. Not a good feeling.

I'm going to take a minute to brag that I was one of the first to bring the Alpha Hydrox trend to the skincare board - way back when they had pictures of old ladies on their boxes! Over a decade later, they're still one of the very few brands who bring quality, effective ingredients, and at a shockingly reasonable price point.

An effective AHA (right formulation, pH, and %) - which this and all of their products have been for me - is kind of like a miracle for skin, making it smooth as a baby's bottom, helping with acne for me more than BHAs ever did, and lightening stubborn red spots I'd had for 3-5 years to a noticeable degree within 4 days, and completely with continued use. (The sun has a tendency to 'stain' red spots, though, so you have to use sunscreen - the right kind and amount - to fade the spots and keep them from coming back.)

This is currently my favorite of the line. It's a little more moisturizing than the "Oil Free" or "Enhanced" versions, it's a slightly higher percent AHA (12% instead of 10%), it 'whips up' and spreads so well that I can use less than other versions, and there's no sea kelp in it (which can aggravate acne), unlike the Oil Free.

My two complaints are that: 1) even though makeup wears well under it, it has a tendency to feel thick and heavy on my oily skin; and 2) the jar is just unsanitary.

It's a truly great product, though, and I'll continue to repurchase.

on 8/19/2012 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I can't believe it! This has significantly improved my acne-prone skin. I've been using it for a couple months (maybe not even that), and I feel SO much better about my face. I wouldn't have even considered going to a drugstore or gas station without makeup on before, and now I'm already OK with it. My skin looks like it has "healed" since it used to look raw. I've also changed some other products in my daily regimen, like switching from Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Scrub to Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel, which I'm sure makes a huge difference.

I use this at night and the Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment during the day. I also don't use foundation anymore- only tinted moisturizer and a little loose powder!

The only thing I'd change about this is the packaging, as many people have already stated. But I dab a finger in the jar right after washing my hands and using a fresh paper towel, so it doesn't seem too bad. The price is outstanding, considering what it has done for me. I've purchased expensive serums from Estee Lauder and didn't see any improvement from those. I also recommended this to my younger sister who has acne issues like me. Her acne has dramatically decreased in just a month of using this. Recommend!!!

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

So i tried this on my face and it made it all dry and red on different spots of my cheeks and chin. I tried everything and the redness won't go down! i am never going to buy this product again! don't waste your money.

on 7/30/2012 4:13:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is my first AHA product and I love it. It makes my skin a litle oily even I heard that AHA makes skin dry. It broke me out at the beginning, but now, after 3 weeks, my skin is really brighter, softer, the pores are smaller and I feel some acne scars look better too. Use it with the Merlot day and night cream, they work wonderfully together. I will try the 10% lotion for my neck and their 14% serum after finish this jar.

on 6/17/2012 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is my first AHA product, so I have a bit of learning to do with this and will definately update when I figure out the perfect regimine. I am writting a review for first time users of this product or AHAs in general to learn from my mistakes. To start, I had semi-dry combination acne prone skin. Acne began when I was just about 26 (27 now).. always had clear normal skin before this, so this acne battle is new to me and I am trying to learn (while spening hundreds) what will work to combat this evil plague :(

I began using this daily 2x a day morning and night. I never had any adverse reactions like drying or stining or anything like that. I would follow up with Hope in a Jar moisturizer to avoid drying out. At first this was working wonders for me.. acne was clearing up nothing new was popping up.... so I did this for about 2 weeks

After 2 weeks or so I noticed that I was having a lot of clogged pores. Those little flesh colored acne bumps that you dont really mind so much if you have been dealing with cycts and inflamed pimples. But they started to multipy and my skin had a bumpy uneven icky texture to it.

Then I made the ULTIMATE MISTAKE .... I had a facial.... rashes, large scale break out on my cheek in a cluster which had never happened before. THIS WAS MY FAULT I didn't know that you should abstain from use a week before a facial and did not inform my asthetician of my use.

So I stopped using the AHA and I began to follow the Acne.org regimen...... :'( I really damaged my skin with all that Benzoyl Peroxide.. I was dry, flaking, swollen, red, painful rashes from cheeks to chin this misery lasted almost 2 weeks. I was cleansing with cold cream only to maintain moisture.

Now I am back to normal cleaning with Purity Made Simple using my Clarisonic at night again (but switched to the delicate brush and dont use for the whole min) I plan to alternate nights with the Clarisonic and the Alpha Hydrox.

All in all I think this product can do wonders if I use it properly. So I will update when I complete this new regimen... hopefully something will work for me soon.

Popular Treatments (Face)