Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief

3.8

INGREDIENTS: water, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, glycerin, birch bark extract, lady's thistle extract, green tea leaf extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, sucrose, aloe barbadensis leaf water, trehalose, hydroxyethyl urea, sorbitol, oleth-10, tromethamine, caffeine, hydrogenated lecithin, hydrolyzed extensin, sodium hyaluronate, tocopheryl acetate, palmitoyl olgiopeptide, caprylyl glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl polymethacrylate, peg-8, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolumer, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate, carbomer, hexylene glycol, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, red 4 (CI 14700), yellow 5 (CI 19140) [ILN33654].

on 1/2/2015 4:00:00 AM

Beautiful gel moisturiser that can be applied a few different ways- mask, moisturiser, eye cream. I use it as a moisturiser- mostly for day time, because I use Obagi at night. It really soothes and moisturises any skin flakiness and it doesn't really have a scent which is good. Really nice. Might be a bit heavy if you have oily skin. Normally the Clinique counter will provide you a sample if you want to give it a go at home.

on 12/17/2014 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

My mom used to buy Clinique products almost exclusively before she went back to Fashion Fair (their colors suit her gorgeous almond skin much better than Clinique or any other brand geared towards Caucasian women ever will), and since she always spent over $40, she would get the gift bag with the samples. That's one great thing about Clinique-they NEVER shirk on giving you good samples.

Anyways, so that's how I got the Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief sample. This came with their yellow Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (which I'm not a huge fan of) along with some chubby stick lippies and an eyeshadow or two. I started off using the Dramatically Different but didn't like it too much because it always felt too greasy. So I threw this into my overnight bag and didn't expect much. However, winter is ALWAYS a match for my skin, and it just gets very red, raw and chapped during our dry California winters.

I used this product after washing my face when my skin felt extra dry. I loved it almost immediately. It sinks right into my skin, but at the same time it feels so good.....just cool and moisturizing and like this burst of coolness that extra dry skin really needs. It is also very thick, with an almost creamy texture. It's definitely not whipped, and I think this may be why I like it, because it's a thick, moisturizing lotion that does not leave any grease film behind. I applied this to my forehead, cheeks, chin and right around my mouth, and noticed a positive difference after waiting to apply my makeup for 20 minutes after using moisturizer. My primer seemed to glide on better, and even while applying primer and foundation my skin just felt so moisturized.

This does have a slightly strong fragrance. I'm not sure what it smells like to me. Flowery cold-cream, maybe? Light chemical nonsense? I don't know, but this product works, and it does not break me out.

It does not come in a pump or a tube, but instead in a cute little tub. Normally this would be an issue for me, but this is a THICK product. It won't move on your fingers at all.

At $34 a tub, I will sadly NOT be purchasing a tub of this until I have steady work again. It's unfortunate, because this really makes me want to explore more of Clinique's products. I've loved 90% of the samples my mom used to pass down to me. My mother was so loyal to Clinique for years, and I remember going with her to their counter as a five and six year old and watching them apply makeup to her face and thinking that she looked as beautiful as a queen. She still does. I think that's what brings product loyalty and keeps consumers coming back, year after year, is word of mouth. Or for some of us, knowing that our mothers were loyal to a brand because they knew it treated them well for so long. Hell, my mom STILL buys their signature fragrance, Happy.

Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief will definitely be a staple in my product stash, but I'm going to save it for special occasions (aka on the rare days I do wear makeup) so that it'll last until I can buy a full sized tub. I can easily see this replacing my current moisturizer of choice, Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Combination Skin. If this had SPF, it would be perfect. Even so, it's almost there.

on 12/17/2014 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this product in an airport due to a super long layover and got bored so decided to might as well do a bit of spending and try this Clinique brand out for the first time and see what the whole fuss is about.

When I first tried it over the counter onto my hand, I felt it was a little bit weird with how watery it felt and was a bit skeptical of the idea that it will help me relieve my dry super-flakey-look-when-foundation-is-put-on skin.

I have tried many many many moisturisers and most of the time, I am pretty much disappointed with them. 1) Most made me feel like I put on oil or my face and 2) Despite it's 'moisturising' effects, whenever I put any foundation on (especially those powdery ones) my face would flake out and looks as if I am a snake peeling into a new skin. Anyway, this product however surprised me. It did not make my face feel oily (as I mentioned before, it felt watery), it seeped into my skin quite quick AND it is the first ever product that actually made my skin look like a normal human being after putting my make up on.

I don't know if this product has made my skin become dependent on it or something, cause if I were to not use it during the day, my skin will flake out again (or maybe the fact that I live in the middle east where it hardly rains and almost 0% humidity). But either way, I actually am GLAD I found this product and would recommend it to others and definitely is the product I would buy again.

Thank God I'm done with searching for moisturisers now.

on 12/16/2014 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I've used a few jars of this moisturizer and it's now 'holy grail' status. Mind you, my skin is very particular and sensitive (rosacea) and I don't really deviate from my skin care regime because of potential rosacea flare ups. I'm in perimenopause and I've found my rosacea flare ups have become more severe if I'm not careful.
But I digress.

I like the gel formula of this moisturizer and it leaves my skin feeling smooth and supple compared to other moisturizers which seemed to just sit on the surface.
It's lightweight and doesn't give me milia or clog my pores and most importantly, it doesn't aggravate my rosacea.
I use it as a daytime moisturizer and my makeup goes on better without fading throughout the day.

The packaging could be better with a pump dispenser but that doesn't stop me from re-purchasing or stocking up when it's GWP time.

Kudos to Clinique for this great moisturizer!

on 12/6/2014 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I live in Ontario and when the colder weather comes, my skin changes. Moisture surge is a must have for me during the winter when my skin gets drier. I love the gel formula as it's light weight, yet it still provides enough moisture when I need it.

When the colder weather is just starting/not too bad, I only use this at night and continue to use Dramatically Different Gel in the morning. As the winter progresses/gets colder, I use this morning and night.

I wish it came in a pump, as I don't like putting my fingers in the jar and I feel like the pump helps control how much you use. The price is also a bit steep but it's worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This moisturizer is fantastic during the cold winter months. It soaks into my skin very, very quickly and doesn't make my skin feel greasy or oily midday. If my skin is very dry and irritated, either from the weather or drying acne products, I will apply this over my Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel.

My one complaint is the packaging. I really don't like dipping my fingers into the jar in fear of contaminating the entire product, so I always wash my hands thoroughly before doing so. I think the packaging would be much more effective with a pump.

Overall, this moisturizer is fantastic. It's fragrance free and does not make my skin break out, which is always a fear of mine when trying new products. I will definitely repurchase this when my jar runs out. I hope this helps!

on 11/30/2014 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Really moisturizing without being greasy, didn't irritate my eyes or skin but for the cost, I'll stick to my drug store stuff.

on 11/15/2014 8:18:00 PM

After extensive reading, now I know to avoid Dimethicone, Siloxanes, Cyclomethicone (anything ending with "cone" and "xane") in my moisturizers, serum, foundation and other skincare products.
These silicone-based products have caused deep underneath the skin large adult acne which are hard to get rid of.

Since 98% skincare products contain silicone ingredients (even the expensive ones like SK II have silicone in their moisturizer/serum), I have difficulty finding a good moisturizer. When I don't wear any moisturiser and foundation, I don't get new underneath the skin pimples.

This Clinique moisturizer has lots and lots silicones ingredients in it which has caused me more big underneath the skin adult acne. Silicones cover pores like plastic mask to reduce moisture loss from skin but they also clog pores, and make skin drier in the long run.
For acne prone skin, using silicone-based products might make it worse.

on 11/14/2014 11:40:00 PM

This DEHYDRATED my skin awful thing

on 11/10/2014 8:35:00 PM

I got this as a gift, but I certainly wouldn't pay full price (or close to it, for that matter) for it myself. Yes, it is light, but as someone with really dry skin, light doesn't do anything for me. To lend perspective, I smother Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream on my face in the winter. THAT is what I need and what actually works for me.

I use this during the day in the winter but mainly to use it up and feel like I'm doing something with it. It doesn't make my makeup go on any better than not using it, and the moisturization is minimal. In the summer, it is slightly more useful since I am oilier, but it definitely doesn't provide "extended thirst relief" for me for half the year.