Thierry Mugler Alien

3.7

on 2/28/2014 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Alien is different. Mostly orange blossom or jasmine, honey, grape juice, a note of metal, and a dash of pepper. Reminds me of LouLou, but richer and deeper. And a lot like vintage Poeme in the drydown. Delicious and comfortable if applied with a light hand, brash and ridiculous if applied too heavily. Took me about 10 years to understand Alien. It's actually become a favorite of mine. I have now joined the 21st century and am officially "with the program." I've been assimilated into the ranks of Mugler devotees.

on 2/2/2014 6:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a weird fragrance. Alien is a good name for it. It's different from most scents I've liked before. The perfume to me, smells exactly like Flying Fox shower gel from Lush with a peppery after smell. It's warm and sexy smelling. I can smell jasmine and honey in this but I could just be crazy. I'm not sure what notes are in this perfume. My husband loves the smell of this perfume on me. I read online how men adore this scent. It's heavy and heady, a little goes a long way with this stuff. I almost always buy the 3.4oz size when it comes to fragrance but I bought this in the 1oz and that is more than plenty. If I had the 3.4oz, it might go bad before I could use it up. Also, this stuff is expensive as hell and I didn't want to shell out $130 for the largest size. I've always gravitated towards fresh and clean scents but this is a mature, seductive scent. I would not wear this to work or for a casual daytime fragrance. It works well with my body chemistry. It's just a really unique and strange fragrance. It's hard to describe. The scent is polarizing, you'll either love it or hate it.

on 1/10/2014 9:33:00 PM

Smells really unique definitely alien-like! I usually don't go for weird scents but this one is mysterious! I have the sample size and would be purchasing this in the near future!

on 12/22/2013 11:02:00 AM

This is a horror of a scent. It seems to be worn by over-made-up late teens who have no idea of subtlety. I watched a shop assistant practically empty a bottle of it over her and it was like walking into a wall of scent and that would appear to be how anyone crazy enough to like this wears it. It's a hideous foul scent that I can smell metres from whoever is wearing it. A shocker.

on 12/14/2013 11:12:00 PM

ive purchased this perfume about 4 times now. smells nice and warm w a touch of super sexy mystery... theres never a time when I wear this that I dont get tons of compliments.. tons!! great bottle style unique and pretty.. definitely worth the dinero....

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this like three times now! I've always been looking for a perfume that mixes well with my natural smell but couldn't find the best one... Until I saw an advertisement in a magazine with a wipe sample and after that I fell deeply in love! It's an incredible smell, some of my friends smell it and aren't crazy about it but when I put it on and they smell it on me they fall inlove as well so I would have to say try it on and see if it's the same for you because it does change once on. Also I paid $130 for the smallest bottle so it is very expensive...

on 11/30/2013 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use the EDT almost every day, works amazingly with my natural scent. It feels luxurious but very cool and a touch edgy at the same time. I've got soooo many compliments when wearing it!

Only thing I don't like about it is that I can't pop the top off, so it can't be used with a Travalo -- but maybe it's just the EDT, never tried the EDP.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Alien is such a gorgeous smell. So unique and sensual, slightly ethereal and very alienesque. I ran out of my first bottle and am excited to purchase another. The purple and gold bottle is also beautiful, sort of exotic or medieval looking, and very much stands out.

on 11/23/2013 9:52:00 PM

to me the grape stands out. very nice and balanced, but it seems it reminds me of something else at this point, mostly like Poison, which I know is stronger

on 11/4/2013 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have both EDP and EDT - this review is for the EDP.

Alien's notes, per parfumo.net: Jasmine sambac, Cashmere wood, Ambergris

Jasmine, wood, and amber. Jasmine can be a very bold white floral, and in Alien's case, I think it is. I have one word for Alien -- "harsh". It comes on strong, bold, scratchy, and rough to me, almost medicinal. Perfumey and aggressive. Even at drydown, the notes just don't ever meld together into a smooth, unified, cohesive, pretty scent.

May I add "grape" to that note list? Somehow it comes off "grapey" to me as well -- like a dark, scratchy, fermented, woody wine -- but I don't know where that grape feel comes from, since it's not in the note list. Alien also dries down a bit dusty/musty to me.

To my nose, Alien is in the same category as Poison and Guerlain Insolence -- deep purple grape mixed with dark woody mustiness. Mysterious & sexy? Maybe, but they're all heavy hitters. Alien, with that jasmine note, needs to be used carefully in order not to offend and overwhelm -- or give people headaches!

I bought my Alien EDP (gift set) on a cold, dark, overcast November day, and it was perfect for that weather and time of year, in my humble opinion. EDT is definitely lighter and may be preferable for many.

Popular Fragrances