September 2, 2014 | 2163 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Glysomed

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2011 1:34:00 PM More reviews by brooksy88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I have used Glysomed hand cream and body lotion before, but I haven't used them enough to give a proper review, so I am writing this review specifically for the Glysomed Foot Balm.
Before using Glysomed Foot Balm, I had very dry and callused feet. This thick, somewhat greasy, peppermint scented balm did a great job at soothing and softening my dry skin. What is really noteworthy about my experience with this product though, is when I used it on the skin on the side of my right big toe, which for many months, was EXTREMELY dry, broken, cracked, and painful! When I applied Glysomed Foot Balm to my toe every night, the cracked and broken skin was healed within a few days. The best part about this product is the price. Glysomed is a very inexpensive drugstore lotion that actually does what it's supposed to. (I want to say the gift set of about five of Glysomed lotions was something like $15CAD)
As I said before, the balm is a bit greasy, but since its not on my hands, and I am wearing it to go to sleep anyway, I don't mind at all!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2011 11:21:00 PM More reviews by xyoru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

I've been using this product for years and I love it!
It does feel greasy upon application, but once it sinks in your hands feel really soft. I personally love the smell, or more or less I don't mind.
My hands have been really dry lately, and this and moisture gloves at night has been a real life saver for my hands!
Will definitely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/8/2011 11:39:00 AM More reviews by sallin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The smell is terribly, unreasonably strong, so strong that the first time I applied this cream, one of my nostrils, which is prone to allergies, got blocked terribly. Okay, that seemed to be my problem. Then, many many months later, I gave this cream a try one more time after my allergy problems had improved a great deal and when my nostril had not suffered blockage for a long period of time. Tada! My nostril got blocked again!

As for the moisturizing effect, it uses glycerin and silicone to lock in moisture. I feel that it is the silicone that makes the texture of this cream so heavy. There are many hand creams on the market that moisturizes very well without feeling heavy, among them I prefer Crabtree & Evelyn, some L'Occitane hand creams, and drugstore brands such as Aveeno and Nivea.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2011 12:37:00 AM More reviews by elizabetch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Glysomed works - seems like everyone knows that! I don't like the smell, nor the texture of it on my skin (I never put it on the palms of my hands, ew) but I have loved it for before I go to bed.

The reason it gets only 3 lippies - I read the ingrediens list the other day, and it has every PARABEN under the sun in it - very disappointed. Because of this, I will no longer re-purchase this. I'm aware that these chemicals are in a lot of cosmetics & beauty products, but I am trying to reduce my exposure to them as much as possible.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by pinksharpie

HO-LY MO-LY!!! Okay, at first, I was NOT a believer. This was my mom's hand cream and I was skeptical about its performance. Furthermore, when I tried it the first time, it left my hands superrrr greasy! Ew!

But the skin absorbs it within 5 to 10 minutes and your skin is left feeling SOOOOOO soft! It's incredible! I work in a lab, and so I wash my hands very often as well as wear some drying nitrile gloves. This stuff is a godsend!! I def recommend!

It's an incredibly thick and greasy feeling cream. You really have to rub it to get it into your skin. But the results are there! Love it!! <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 9:42:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I love it for extremely dry and cracked hands. My hands have to be washed several times during the day, so they sometimes get so dry that they crack and bleed. :( The skin also builds up and becomes thicker while it's trying to heal. The rest of the year I have no issues and great skin. This is harder to find for me, but it works like a glove protecting your hands. It smells like a normal hand cream, and I use it at night because it can feel a little thick for daytime.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2011 6:57:00 PM More reviews by rambow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I first got a tiny sample tube of this (the green, scented hand cream) when I was working in a really cold, dry office. I don't have dry skin in general, but washing my hands throughout the day, and working in an air-conditioned environment left me not only freezing, but my hands felt tight and dry, to the point where it was uncomfortable to type.

As I said, I had the tiny sample tube -- it squeezes out a needle-thin stream of product. And that tube lasted me months. Just a tiny little squirt of this cream (so little that, at first, I didn't think it would even physically spread over my hands, especially since it is a thick cream), and a vigorous hand-rub, was all I needed. It fixed my hands up immediately, and furthermore KEPT them feeling moisturized (but not sticky, greasy, or tacky) for the rest of the day.

In the larger (1.7 fl. oz.) format, I have to be careful not to dispense too much. Even a pea-sized dollop is too much for my hands. But I love it. I love the smell, too (it is rather strong, and reminds me of some kind of purpley flower smell -- maybe freesia? Grape hyacinth? Either way, it fades quickly.)

My mom-in-law has been having troubles with her hands cracking from the cold weather and hand-washing at work, so I gave her some of this in her stocking. She loves it.

Also especially good for dry elbows!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2011 12:57:00 AM More reviews by jacoba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This hand cream is too greasy, I think the number one ingredient is glycerin, which is said to hold onto moisture, which is a good thing. However, it seems as though I either use too much and it's greasy, or not enough and I don't get the moisture I need. Plus, it's so thick, I put it on before bed and wake up in the morning with a greasy film over my skin, and when I wash my hands with soap, even then it barely comes off. Its too thick to even penetrate the skin. Unfortunately, I bought a three pack at Costco and don't want to throw it away, so I recommend mixing it with a less hydrating, thinner hand creme, as I'm doing. Wouldn't recommend unless your hands are cracking and bleeding.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by luckygreenclover25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hands get extremely dry but this really helps. The fragrance-free version is the one I use. Yes it is very thick, so a little goes a long way. It's mostly comprised of glycerin. It contains German chamomile, which is very soothing to the skin. But unfortunately, it also contains parabens. However, it does work well and keeps my dry hands soft for a long time, even after washing them.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 10:52:00 PM More reviews by poivre27

My favourite hand cream <3 definitely HG.
This cream is good for dry hands without feeling heavy, oily, or too perfumy. My hands are not very dry but I like to have that bit of extra protection on them and this product is light enough to work with what I want. At the same time, I know people with very dry hands who use this and love it. It may not be the best if you're clinically dry, but I can't speak for that.
In Canada there is another hand cream in a thin, long tube of 75mL that is similar to this (has chamomile and glycerin in it) as well as the Glysomed dupe with the Life brand. You can purchase those and imo they're pretty much the same thing (just different packaging and a little bit cheaper).
Anyways I've tried a few different hand creams, latest one being The Body Shop's almond hand cream which is alright in itself, but I found it too "cream-like" which ends up feeling a bit greasy as the day wears on. With Glysomed you don't feel greasy and you can use it several times a day without feeling like you've used too much or transfer on your clothes/hair/etc.