April 19, 2014 | 1803 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Beautiful

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 12:01:00 PM More reviews by anneys

I'm a teacher and I have been wearing beautiful for as long as I can remember. While the children of my class generally dislike perfumes , they adore beautiful. Also male and female friends often make compliments. I never tire of this perfume. I hope to grow old in it.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2012 1:47:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

I was surprised at how much I liked Beautiful, but I think it's the really fine blending of all those floral notes that does it. I find each flower turning its head up at me in turn. It has a classic feel, starts soapy (I get the feeling this perfume is responsible for a lot of the "rose=soap" associations out there) and gradually mellows into something really quite gentle and warm with the florals providing more of a complement and everything so well balanced it's hard to tell individual notes apart.

Yep, it's big. I find that going VERY easy on it helps a lot -- just the merest wisp. And I really like it layered over a base of Egyptian musk. I don't necessarily find it formal worn this way -- it suggest barefoot in the spring to me, actually.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Fleurine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Top notes: Mandarin, rose, tuberose, marigold, lily
Middle notes: Floral, ylang-ylang, jasmine, orange flower
Base notes: Vetiver, sandalwood

Estee Lauder's Beautiful is an iconic modern classic, in the same way as is Princess Diana's Wedding Dress. Enormous. Formal. Impressive. Luxe. Overdone. Not Sexy. Hard to Wear. Aloof. Regal. And did I mention 80's? This lady is loud and proud, with monster sillage a la Chanel Coco. It comes as no surprise that EL has marketed this for decades as a bridal fragrance.
Beautiful has about every heady floral note going, from lily to ylang ylang to marigold, and vetiver in the base, for added formality.This fragrance is a hybrid of a floral/green/chypre, while I think I would have hard time wearing it, I do like it. It feels like a spring wedding to me, but a wedding of a *certain* type.
If you plan on gathering 300 or more of your closest friends and relations in a formal sunny room, and are wearing a huge silk and tulle poof dress, and you need your fragrance to project "Beautiful" to the very last row, then this may very well be your wedding fragrance. A big scent for a very big day.
Maybe I'll give it a 4+.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2011 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Banjos

Actually, I never bought this because the samples in magazines were just repulsive to me. Never has a fragrance caused such a negative reaction with me. Sure, some I did not like but this was just horrible. Fragrance is very individual so please do not be offended if you like it.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/15/2011 2:36:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Grey

Yuck..I can't stand the scent of this. I'm not sure why this makes me feel sick like I could vomit at any time.This is so strong and stinks. It smells like it's from the 80's.I think this could be the most repulsive frangrance to my me it makes me feel sick. I never actually sprayed this on myself,the negative reactions I had with this is just from whiffing the bottle. I get a headache even if this is in a magazine. I would be terrified of what would happen if I actually sprayed this on my body.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is definitely a "test first" scent. Every time I have tried to wear this fragrance over the years, longing to coax out the deep plushy woodsy floral I smell on others, all I get on my skin is a truly stomach-churning cacophonous chemical twang with a faint hit of rotting marigolds. Yet I've known more than one woman-- including my neighbor-- who rock this one well. On those women, it has the same luxuriant,assertive allure as other '80s bombshells like Ungaro Diva and Giorgio Red. I have to say, this doesn't smell any better to me in the bottle than it does on my skin, so I am forced to conclude that there are women whose skin chemistry simply coaxes the beauty out of Beautiful. Sadly, that will never be me.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2011 11:26:00 AM More reviews by lorieamai

I wore Beautiful layered for many, many years. I started after college and continued well into my late 30s. At that point I couldn't even smell it anymore. But I ALWAYS got compliments on it, especially from men. Now I'm in my mid-40s and my body chemistry has changed. I haven't found any fragrance yet to replace it that I enjoy as much or get as many compliments as I used to when I wore Beautiful. It's worth the money for sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 9:24:00 AM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Totally classic. Very floral, and does not smell good on everyone, but if you can work Beautiful, you've got a reliable fragrance for life. I have tried to wear this, but it just doesn't work on me. But I agree that this is one of the great fragrance stories of our time, and I appreciate it as such. Some people call this an "old lady" scent, but honestly, any fragrance today that has any type of soul, and that doesn't smell like candy or strawberries, gets called that. Many of today's fragrances are created too quickly, and without thought, because way more work goes into the advertising than the actual juice itself. To me, that's a crying shame. Beautiful is still a great seller, and not just among old ladies!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2011 7:46:00 PM More reviews by eky321

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It is a delicious flowery/woody aroma, which surrounds you with sweetness. I do not like the dry down a lot. I prefer the dry down of Sensuous. Actually, sensuous is similar to Beautiful without some much flowery/hint of citrus aromas. Both have a wood base. Beautiful is very feminine.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by VictoriaNicolee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Firstly, yes I can see how it would remind some of old women. However, I am 20 - and I enjoy wearing this scent on special occasions. It is a very musky feminine smell, and it's fantastic! I surely wouldn't wear it everyday, though - but I do wear it once or twice a month, or even when I feel like I need a bit more oomph to what I am wearing. I agree though it is overpowering at first, but it lasts a long time. Use the body powder of it and layer it on and you'll smell like it all night! It's wonderful.