MAC Brush Cleanser

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), SD Alcohol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Triclosan, Red 33, Blue 1.

on 12/22/2013 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I also use the brush cleanser for in between washes as a spot cleaner. I purchased it twice, my first bottle lasted for 8 months and I used it daily. Here's my solution to the packaging problem. Go to Lush and buy their wonderful tea-tree water toner, switch the cap with the brush cleanser cap. Use the tea-tree water on cotton pads like you would a normal toner and the spray nozzle for the brush cleanser. When they're empty, don't forget to switch the caps back again so you can turn the Mac one in for back-2-mac.

Just solved stupid packaging issues with two products at the same time, you're welcome :D

on 12/14/2013 4:17:00 PM

This is my first cleanser. I picked it up to spot clean brushes between deep washes and I found using it very often. It's quick and easy and cleanses out beautifully! No complains at all. I don't know if ingredients are basic and could be easily duplicated-I'm not a chemist, and not making my own formula even if its as basic as a lot of people suggest. I'm sure it is, and people who are comfortable with making their own cleanser are probably correct, however, for me it's a lot more convenient to buy this tried and liked cleanser. I like the way it cleanses and brushes are dry and clean instanteniosly! I deep wash them when I have more time but this works when I need them cleaned quickly and it washes out the liquid foundation and anything left on a bristles without any problems.

on 12/6/2013 8:27:00 AM

I bought this product yesterday and used it right away, and it's just amazing. It cleans the brushes very easily, and moistures them too. I didn't like the packaging, but i had a spray bottle at home and i poured some in it. It's so much more convenient and the product will last much longer.

on 11/18/2013 9:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

definitely not a must have. you can use baby shampoo or dawn and get the same results. I've had my bottle 6monts and only used half though. it doesn't take much

on 10/29/2013 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Great product for cleaning brushes between deep cleans, and conditions them as well. Only problem is the packaging! Half the product goes down the sink! So I have taken off one lippy. I put it in a spray bottle and dilute it with 30-40% water so it lasts longer and doesn't dry out brushes. I also have a couple of flannel towelettes to wipe the brushes on after I've done a couple sprays of the product and repeat a couple times till clean. The brushes dry really quick and I can do someone's make up, knowing the brushes are sterilized.

on 9/22/2013 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I like this brush cleanser it's great for spot cleaning. I tend to use it every other day to spot clean and deep clean every two weeks. My brushes remain soft after they dry. What I don't like about this is the packaging. I wasted a lot of product at first but then I was about to find a spray nozzle that for perfectly. Also, it's kind of pricey, you waste a lot of product for $15 a bottle. I remember the SA telling me that it will last a long time. I highly doubt that and I don't even have a lot of brushes. I could imagine a professional MUA going thru a bottle in less than a month easily. Unsure if I'll repurchase.

on 8/7/2013 12:44:00 AM

This brush cleanser is NOT so great. Let me try to explain why.

When selecting a cleansing product it's always helpful to look at the formula. This is a very basic foaming cleanser with additional antibacterial properties provided by Alcohol and Triclosan. Alcohol would be even more effective in higher concentrations and maybe in a spray bottle that you can use to disinfect your brushes once in a while. Alcohol is one of those ingredients you should try not to touch. If your skin is sensitive, you have probably already realized that. Triclosan on the other hand, is a common active ingredient in antibacterial dish soap and body wash products. You don't have to spend this much to get an antibacterial cleanser with an effective amount of triclosan.

Despite having been thoughtfully put together, I would not recommend this product. If you want to be well equipped I suggest getting a spray bottle filled with highly concentrated alcohol for quick sterilizing, an antibacterial dishwashing liquid to disinfect and remove most of the gunk, and some basic conditioner to finish up, especially if you are cleaning a natural hair brush. I know that most people love the idea of being able to sterilize all they can, but if you don't work on multiple faces, frequent washes with a gentle shampoo are more than enough, and in the long run will be less drying for the brush.

Now If you want to do add the cherry to the pie, you can go ahead and purchase a waterproof makeup removing lotion from the drugstore, like the Neutrogena Eye Makeup Remover Lotion. Massaging a small amount on the bristles before you start is enough to remove even the toughest waterproof makeup. It rinses easily and there will be no kitchen olive oil mess this time.))

I see some people are using this for spot cleaning. The foaming cleansing agents here need to be rinsed or they will stay on the brush. For quick spot cleaning, you'd be better off using your favorite duo-phase eye makeup. It will clean even better and will not leave harmful ingredients on the brush.

Bottom line, just pass on this and go for antibacterial dish soap, pure alcohol, and eye makeup remover. It breaks up the brush cleansing process in several steps which become conveniently optional. Plus, you can easily and effectively remove waterproof makeup. Don't forget to condition your brushes. That's also important.

on 7/9/2013 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Does a great job, love the simple & practical packaging.

on 6/17/2013 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

I started using this back around 2006, it was about $9. Now, it is $15. That said, it is truly the best product of its kind. And if you do not want to have to spend lots of $ on makeup brushes or replacing them in a shorter amount of time-this is a product worth the extra $$. Just like their lip liners. This is a superior product. I just wish the price had not changed so much since I last used it. I had a Macy's gift card so I used it for this, because it has been several years since I was able to get it. Trust me, this is an excellent makeup brush cleanser. The BEST.

on 6/13/2013 9:26:00 AM

When I read the instruction, it saids need to rinse the brush after use. But the MUA told me it's fine as a spot cleanser, no need to rinse. And the reviews here also said the same. So I give it a try with no water. And the result is GREAT! Quick, clean, no heavy scent, hygienic. COOL! Maybe I will pour it into spray bottle later, more easily to use and less dosage! ;)

Video Reviews & Tutorials