Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

Growing up, I was always the kid who never fit in with the other kids that were outgoing and playful. I much preferred to sit in a dimly lit room and read or watch old black and white movies. As a teenager, I was about as awkward as they came. I could not escape school quick enough so I could rush home, pull my drapes shut, turn on my melancholic music and forget the day. Now, as an adult, I'm almost to the point of being a recluse, yet not. I live alone in my grandmother's house that was built in 1948, the drapes still hanging from 1970, the walls still paneled from 1976. The house is all but modern, and so completely me. It makes strange noises at night, and I like to believe there is a ghost watching over me. Saturday nights are my meditative nights...the nights I pull out all of my darkwave music from bands like The Mission, Marillion, Smiths, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Pixies, Cure, etc. I find myself best in this type of music, always have. In saying that, I find myself best in fragrances that give off a dark, melancholic, slightly depressing and sad vibe. Very rarely do I wear anything with sweetness, and when I do, it's only a few hours before they have to come off. Patchouli, oakmoss, civet, vetiver and other things you find in the forest of the headless horseman are my favorite notes I look for the most in perfumes.

This is where Aromatics Elixir comes in. There is no way this stuff could pass as mainstream if it were released today. Even in 1971, it stood alone. It pretends to be nothing, and is everything it is. Forget the stupid pink chypres of the late. I hate them all. Aromatics is about as gothic as they come. It carries the notes of a rose that is turning from blood red to decaying black, animalic notes of bitter jasmine and civet, then the dark green oakmoss and patchouli leaf. All this mixed together, it creates an aroma never forgotten. It's of its era. It is extremely '70's and also the '80's. You stood out then wearing it, and you most definitely stand out today. This is the one perfume I wear when I need the most confidence in a particularly bad scenario. It never fails to give me the power to pull through whatever needs pulling through.

We live in a time where many are afraid their fragrance will offend others, so anything with an ounce of staying power is shunned, and if anything at all is to be worn, it's all but noticeable. I have never and will never conform to that stupidity. I still wear any and everything in circa 1984 steel wall strength. I went to see Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac in concert back in May, and wore enough of this perfume to fill the room. My jacket will smell of it for the next 10 years, long after I'm gone, I'm sure.

In all retrospect, this is probably my true signature perfume. It's been with me through some awful times, and some ok times. No matter what, it has stood by me, never letting me down. When I need it to work it wickedness the most, it has been there, and will be there.

When I go, this is the smell I want to be remembered for. A classic, forever.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Someone sprayed this while I was testing make-up. I started sniffing the air, turned around and looked at the perfume bottles on display and followed my nose to the bottle of Aromatics Elixir (in the perfume spray, not the EDT). I bought the smallest bottle, and the first couple of times I wore it I sprayed it on a cotton pad first and then dabbed it lightly. I'm now up to one small squirt straight onto skin, and I think that's more than enough. Lasts all day, lingers on fabric. You've got to love patchouli to be into this - the proper earthy, dirt-y stuff, not the molecularly modified version that seems to be abundant nowadays. Absolutely addictive - love it!!!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is a complex fragrance that can be very over powering and "old lady" smell. However I go easy with one spray against a layer of lavender oil and wow if it isn't a calming elixir, and on my skin pleasing to those around me. Love this fragrance almost as much as my favorite Prada..similar notes.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a very interesting fragrance. Men don't like it very much. This fragrance is not for other people but it's for you. It really has some aromatic, mind relaxing effects, esp. after taking a shower before go to bed; a real anti-stress therapy. Boosts some kind of self-confidence and well being feelings. It should be sprayed quite few otherwise it's quite heavy. Its patchouli ingredient is wonderful after a few hours.

This reminds me of elderly ladies with purple hair. Extremely over-powering, and not feminine at all. Not for me.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

Interestingly, it's not an aromatic fragrance (mint, bay, rosemary, thyme, camphor, artemisia, etc.) at all. It is a Green/Indolic Floral/Leather. Pronounced "ether" note in the head. Smells exceptionally scrubbed and clean, even with a plastic-y note that reminds one of new new clothes, cellophane, etc. Its leather component strikes me as somewhat pleasantly old-fashioned, more like something from the 1960's... the bright floralcy has a carnation-spicy and indolic (read: slightly urinaceous) jasmin/honeysuckle hint. Some hint of sweet wood (rosewood?) in the base. Reminds me somewhat of Myrurgia MAJA perfume, or maybe MISS BALMAIN's lightweight daughter. EDP throws a very good sillage; tenacity is moderate: dispels itself a good bit after one hour. I will argue with anyone who says it's not a Leather-- the slightly-spicy cozy drydown smells like the inside of a new pair of cowboy boots. Has a nice 1970's vibe... like something Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith or Lauren Hutton would wear.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I get stopped very often by people (especially by men) telling me that I smell GREAT ! :-)

That being said, I'm wondering if there is something like Aromatics Elixir that might be just a little bit "lighter" ?

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

When I was very young, my mother had to take me along with her to the beauty parlour. It's funny how smelling something 35-40 years later would immediately bring back such memories. Aromatics Elixir smells like this very busy, small, packed beauty parlour on a Saturday afternoon. All of the ladies would dress up and perfume themselves from head to toe and go to have their hair heavily teased into ungodly creations. Then add to this horrid mass smell the odor of industrial strength perming solutions and hair spray....Only aerosol hairspray bottles used at that time!
Ugh...One whiff of this and I was that little six year old girl who used to find excuses to wait outside of the beauty parlour and find things to do just to avoid that air pollution. I am a scentaholic...love fine fragrances. But this stuff is nasty. Very chemical smelling.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm 65 and this has been in my rotation since the early 80s. It was a daring controversial scent when introduced, remains so, and is often on the "best of" lists. Not a 'delicate blond' scent. I laugh that it smells like bug spray the first hour... but after.... People stop you on the street, men identify it by name, and if it works it is distinctive, sensual, and like no other. Others have described it very well. Very long lasting, and best when sprayed and walked into the mist, or applied around waist or knees for an indirect wafting scent.

I encountered this perfume 12 years ago, when a friend wore it, and I was immediately a fan. I purchased a bottle for myself, and I tried to like it, kept telling myself, that it was a fantastic smell, but then had to give up. It just doesnt smell nice on me at all, too strong, too much aromatic/herbal feeling, gives a headache. Not sexy AT ALL.

Popular Fragrances