April 19, 2014 | 1880 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Scoutridge

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a scent that selects its wearer. It's not for everyone. It does trend toward intellectual much as a complex pinot noir or IPA. Used sparingly, with ideal body chemistry, it is a beautiful thing.

Application is best accomplished by sprtizing the atmosphere and ducking under it.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been wearing this fragrance for years, and when I say years I mean since around the very early 80's. I have never purchased a bottle of any other perfume since I found this, it truly is my signature scent. From what I gather reading here on MakeupAlley you either love it or hate it and I LOVE IT! It's a very strong fragrance so all you need is a light spritz to smell like a million bucks all day. Just when you think it has faded because you can't smell it on yourself someone will come out of nowhere and compliment you on your perfume..... it has happened to me time after time so I know that Aromatics Elixir does not wear off. I have been complimented over the years from so many people ~ from my dermatologist all the way down to strangers in the elevator. It is a scent unlike any other. Aromatics Elixer has notes of rose, jasmine, ylang ylang and vetiver ~ simply devine!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2012 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Dressingtable

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would describe this fragrance as ‘intellectual’. It smells like it was created without any unnecessary affectations or ingredients and seems to achieve a herbal, woody kind of natural classiness. On the right person it smells absolutely wonderful . On the wrong person (me) it verges on the austere.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I first smelled this on a young indian woman in a store. She smelled so amazing I stopped her and asked her what she was wearing. She told me "some new clinique scent." I went searching for this the next day and was surprised to learn this is no new scent, it's been around for over 30 years. I ordered a 4ml mini off ebay for 15$ and have been in love ever since. This is very incensey, and it is very intense. I love strong perfumes and will usually just spray once on my wrist and then dab it on pulse points all over my body, but this fragrance is almost too strong for that even. The spray puts out a little too much, I wish it was a stopper vial that I could dab with instead. It is so insanely strong the first hour or two, but then it fades to a wonderful aura of incense, musk, vetiver all mixed in with a bunch of florals like jasmine and rose. I think it's a truly lovely scent. It smells so exotic to me. It's definitely a better cool weather scent though. The 4ml I bought will probably last me forever, which is great, I love when you don't need to over use a perfume to make it last all day or do constant touch ups.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/15/2012 8:46:00 AM More reviews by nahyt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

lmao at lepins review! this stuff smells like badly aged coco chanel. its sharp, sour,medicinal,decrepit. i cannot understand its appeal. funny cause i smelled this in a magazine and i thought "wow ive found my holy grail scent" , then i buy it...and i swear this stuff gave me heartburn. i felt like i got punched inside my throat when i first sprayed it. maybe i got the wrong formulation? im not gonna give up on it though...i will try all other concentrations of the elixir and see if i change my mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 10:15:00 AM More reviews by heyfattybumbum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

Short story ...I was visiting London several years ago minding my own business....only to be literally surronded by half a dozen ladies demanding to know what perfume I was wearing and wafting down Kensington High Street ..they had followed me all the way down!!! when I told them AE they all dashed off to Barkers (a high end dept store) to buy a bottle each.....this happened so many times to me when I wore AE ...sadly my new husband cannot stand the perfume on me he says smell of dettol disinfectant...charming!!!..but it still imo remains a stunning beautiful perfume ....

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 1:26:00 PM More reviews by lalki1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I used to love this fragrance on other women but hatad it on my self, it was too animalic on me , maybe it is an age thing but now i absolutely love it, it is a foresty woody- earthy- green- chipre marvel.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a fragrance that picks its wearers, perhaps more than anything else on the market. It's a highly polarizing experience--upon application it either transports you to a higher plane, or singes your nostrils with a sepulchral, urinaceous death-funk. For years I had the latter response. I would smell this on people and be amazed at its cool, clean, loamy, meditative beauty-- then I'd go to the Clinique counter, spray it on myself and gasp for air.On my skin, the stuff was a jangle of chemicals and manure.

From time to time I'd give AE another try, because I knew the magic this scent could work on the right person. And after 15 years, my chemistry changed and the incredible beauty and complexity of AE unfolded for me. This is a world-class chypre par excellence; don't let the mid-price-point fool you. It's elegant and tranquil, yet spicy and seductive. The patchouli is of high quality and blends seamlessly with the other elements. The scent often gives the olfactory impression of a forest, with its warm woods and leafy greens. You can actually smell the layers of the forest on your skin-- genius! I get so many compliments, and propositions, wearing this that I'm a bit embarrassed sometimes! People can't get enough of it.

Even though AE works on me, it is SO much more potent than most other mass-market scents that it's very easy to overdo. For everyday, I use only the body cream and only on my neck and decolletage. For dressy occasions, ONE spray of the perfume that I walk through rather than applying to skin. For God's sake do not saturate pulse points with this fragrance; you'll die of a migraine!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 10:32:00 AM More reviews by curlycolor

Absolutely skunkish. Will coat your throat and your sinuses and make you gag until you can get it off your skin. Run far, far away.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by sesass118

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a love it or hate it. It is incredibly strong and to be used VERY sparingly, it can be quite off putting right off the bat, but my favorite method of application is to spray it (not on the skin) then dab what is left on the nozzle on my wrist....seriously that is plenty for ALL DAY. But, it is unique, woody, herbal, and one that you absolutely will not find just everyone wearing.