October 22, 2014 | 1788 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 12:51:00 AM More reviews by daisydallas

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I get stopped very often by people (especially by men) telling me that I smell GREAT ! :-)

That being said, I'm wondering if there is something like Aromatics Elixir that might be just a little bit "lighter" ?

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by BoogieLuna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I was very young, my mother had to take me along with her to the beauty parlour. It's funny how smelling something 35-40 years later would immediately bring back such memories. Aromatics Elixir smells like this very busy, small, packed beauty parlour on a Saturday afternoon. All of the ladies would dress up and perfume themselves from head to toe and go to have their hair heavily teased into ungodly creations. Then add to this horrid mass smell the odor of industrial strength perming solutions and hair spray....Only aerosol hairspray bottles used at that time!
Ugh...One whiff of this and I was that little six year old girl who used to find excuses to wait outside of the beauty parlour and find things to do just to avoid that air pollution. I am a scentaholic...love fine fragrances. But this stuff is nasty. Very chemical smelling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by paintedtoes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm 65 and this has been in my rotation since the early 80s. It was a daring controversial scent when introduced, remains so, and is often on the "best of" lists. Not a 'delicate blond' scent. I laugh that it smells like bug spray the first hour... but after.... People stop you on the street, men identify it by name, and if it works it is distinctive, sensual, and like no other. Others have described it very well. Very long lasting, and best when sprayed and walked into the mist, or applied around waist or knees for an indirect wafting scent.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by maleajou

I encountered this perfume 12 years ago, when a friend wore it, and I was immediately a fan. I purchased a bottle for myself, and I tried to like it, kept telling myself, that it was a fantastic smell, but then had to give up. It just doesnt smell nice on me at all, too strong, too much aromatic/herbal feeling, gives a headache. Not sexy AT ALL.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2012 9:10:00 PM More reviews by nataliestar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought the tiny size purse spray,..$28 just b/c I have a ton of perfumes, and a little goes a LONG way w/ this one. This fragrance has to be *understood* to be appreciated, and then...PROCEED WITH CAUTION. Its NOTHING like Chanel No.5, I do NOT like that scent at all. It is a strong scent like No. 5 is, but thats the only thing in common. I wear perfumes according to how they Need to come across. This one needs to be very, VERY light.I spray every perfume I own on my front side, wrists..etc..NOT this one. This is best sprayed in the air behind your head,..ONCE, or down somewhere like your knees,..ONCE...then, enjoy the wafts you catch..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 2:00:00 PM More reviews by SickSexFix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I wanted to like this. I love woodsy scents and dabble in heavy orientals for evening and I love LOVE Chanel's No. 5.
I got a bottle of this from my aunt after she came back from Paris. She gifted one to many relatives in the family, so I didn't purchase it but it's not that expensive (many full sizes for sale on ebay in the $35-$50 range). I love the packaging, the raised flower on the frosted glass is beautiful. But onto the scent...
It's strong and overpowering at first and takes a loooong time to dry down. Dab this on sparingly, please! This perfume is like the whiskey of fragrances. It definitely seared my nose hairs (lol).
I liked the first few floral notes I detected (rose, ylang ylang and jasmine) but that's about it. (The rose is definitely lost on this one.)
The oakmoss and to an extent the patchouli & sandalwood, I think, are the culprits. They're much too heady and strong. The dry down is nothing but oakmoss and patchouli. A previous reviewer mentioned that it smells like a rainforest after it rains and yes, I totally agree. But there are too many sharp scents in this one that compete for my attention and don't give me any of that warming woodsy tranquil feeling I expect from a scent with this makeup. If the concentrations of oils in this juice were different, say, less vetiver, incense, oakmoss, I'd buy it.
I've since sold my bottle on ebay to a buyer that loves this fragrance. Oh well.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by RainBo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Dear Clinique,

Why do you hate me? Why? I am kind to animals, I love my family, I am a good friend, I donate to charities and I helped an elderly lady cross the road once when I was in high school. Yet despite this my karma hasn't been strong enough to stop you assaulting my nose with this "scent". Yeah, I went there, I did the inverted commas thing to imply sarcasm. I feel bad using the word I really want to use because although I would rather stick my nose in a racoon's bum all day I appreciate there are people out there who do like it.

How do I make amends with whatever wrong doing you have on record beside my name to warrant infiltrating my life with this? Airports, random people on the train, department store spritz ladies. You know, I can forgive all that but what I can NOT forgive you for is introducing it into the life of the woman who sells me my train ticket every morning. No Clinique, you went too far there. TOO FAR. I now start off my day deprived of oxygen from holding my breath when speaking to her and I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm a out on day release from an institution judging by the way she looks at me when I ask for the ticket through clenched teeth and squinted eyes with my head turned to one side in slightly serial killer fashion.

You brought my first moisturiser into my life so I guess I can't wipe you out of my life forever over this. However, you're now officially off my Christmas card list.....the Christmas cards are sold in the area beside the Clinique counter anyway and I'm getting too old to dodge the gazelle-like spritzers!

Yours,

The woman standing in the foetal position sucking her thumb beside the Clinique counter in London after the spritzer lady blind sided her today.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Scoutridge

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a scent that selects its wearer. It's not for everyone. It does trend toward intellectual much as a complex pinot noir or IPA. Used sparingly, with ideal body chemistry, it is a beautiful thing.

Application is best accomplished by sprtizing the atmosphere and ducking under it.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been wearing this fragrance for years, and when I say years I mean since around the very early 80's. I have never purchased a bottle of any other perfume since I found this, it truly is my signature scent. From what I gather reading here on MakeupAlley you either love it or hate it and I LOVE IT! It's a very strong fragrance so all you need is a light spritz to smell like a million bucks all day. Just when you think it has faded because you can't smell it on yourself someone will come out of nowhere and compliment you on your perfume..... it has happened to me time after time so I know that Aromatics Elixir does not wear off. I have been complimented over the years from so many people ~ from my dermatologist all the way down to strangers in the elevator. It is a scent unlike any other. Aromatics Elixer has notes of rose, jasmine, ylang ylang and vetiver ~ simply devine!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2012 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Dressingtable

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would describe this fragrance as ‘intellectual’. It smells like it was created without any unnecessary affectations or ingredients and seems to achieve a herbal, woody kind of natural classiness. On the right person it smells absolutely wonderful . On the wrong person (me) it verges on the austere.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No