January 30, 2015 | 974 users online

Highlighters - BeneFit Cosmetics - High Brow

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

* Update June 4th 2012: Just confirming that yes, this product disagrees with my skin. my skin has been almost entirely void of flaking and dryness and I decided to try this out today. Went on mostly smooth but when I took my makeup off the area where the product stayed all day was in fact ashy and dried out. And a bit uncomfortable.

* Update May 14, 2012:While I really love the look of this highlighting pen and that it's fairly easy to use, it just doesn't seem to be agreeing with my skin. I assume the jojoba oil is the culprit, as it is often problematic for me. I've been having dry skin issues along my brow bone for a long time now, before using this, but it had been clearing up. Whenever I wear makeup and use this, it starts showing up again. I just applied some makeup after removing the day's mascara (with water only) and omitted this pencil - while some existing tiny flakes are present still on my one eye, they did not worsen, my primer went on just fine, my makeup doesn't look dry... It's a shame! I've brought my rating down a 4 and would not repurchase

What it Claims:
"A brow lifting and enhancing pencil that instantly adds a lifted look to the entire eye area. It's never been easier to raise a brow or two! The soft, matte linen-pink pencil looks beautiful on all skin tones."

Claims: True or False?
1) Instantly adds a lifted look to the eye: True
2) Soft, matte finish: True
3) Works on all skin tones: Undetermined.

Packaging:
This is a large jumbo pencil product, which requires sharpening. The pencil comes in a small cardboard box with a small instructional pamphlet thing. The pencil is shorter than the vertical length of my hand. Not much else about the packaging other than a standard cap seen on other types of eyeliner or brow pencils.

Formula:
I have uploaded swatches of this pencil, both on my hand and on my eye area, posted above! I'm not 100% in love with the consistency, but I really like the results I get. The first issue is that it can be hard to blend properly, even if using just a small amount. I definitely find that it's similar in blending to a kohl eyeliner. In order to achieve smooth results, the skin needs to be completely void of irritation and/or dryness. Only a small amount is needed, so if too much is used it can easily look really caked on. If skin is dry or too much is applied I found that patting and blending the area with a wet (water) finger helps it look much nicer for the whole day. I'm also not yet certain if this is leaving me prone to small whiteheads where the product touches my skin outside of the eye area (with more use I don't think it was). Otherwise, I love the way this looks. I have been used to just using a normal shimmery eyeshadow or pearlized product, but while those add obvious light to the area, this actually BRIGHTENS my eyes. It's subtle as well, which makes it nice for makeup-light days. The highlighter has no shimmer that I can pick up on, which is different than any other highlighter I've seen marketed. I like that there's no shimmer, as I feel it looks more natural, and does offer a better highlighted look compared to just applying a matte or shimmery shadow. And if you want extra shimmer, you can pat a bit of shimmery shadow over top and it will adhere well. The shade is a light pink, more on the cool side. Since I am fair skinned, I am able to pull this off, but I have warmer skin as well, so I feel like I and others would benefit from a warmer toned alternative, perhaps a salmony pink which does tend to work better for a larger number of skin tones.

Wear:
This product always wore well on me, never faded or smudged. Once it's blended it seems to just stay put.

Bang for your Buck:
This 2.85gram or 0.10oz highlighting pencil cost me about $26.00CAD at regular price. I definitely feel that this is expensive, especially considering the fact that one must sharpen this pencil, which means a few shavings each time it is sharpened can eventually lead up to a decent amount of product wasted. One could always remove the highlighter from the wood chippings and preserve in a jar. Using for probably a week now, on the brow bone and inner and outer corners of my eyes, it almost looks unused. So while it's not the most economical packaging, I do think that one pencil could last quite a long.

Final Thoughts:
This is the best highlighter I've ever used, but at the same time it doesn't work for my skin. If it were free of jojoba oil I assume it would work wonders, as it blends really nicely on my arm where my skin doesn't react much at all to ingredients the way my face does. If you do not have any issues with the ingredient and would like to give it a shot I do still recommend it, but it's just not for me.
* Overall Rating: 4/5
* Price: 3/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by katemechin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great brightener, love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 9:48:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is probably the greatest product you never thought you needed! I've got a LOT of eye shadows and, therefore, a LOT of highlight shades, both shimmery and matte and so while I was intrigued by High Brow, the less favourable reviews here caused me to put off buying it, figuring that MAC's Vapour or Too Faced's many light matte shadows did exactly what High Brow does. WRONG!!! I finally treated myself to this last week and I can tell you, it is TOTALLY different from all the light coloured shadows I've tried. I've used it every day, with a full eye makeup look and without. This pale, pinky white, matte pencil really does make your whole eye look lifted and more awake. Follow Benefit's instructions - run it under your brow, following the line of your brow, and then blend it out - and suddenly your eyes look wider and more awake. It blends out beautifully too, so no one sees any obvious product but just a more open looking eye area and a more defined looking eyebrow, which is also nice. Just make sure your eye area isn't too dry - use a decent eye cream - and you won't have any flaking or chalky look. I'm not crazy about having to sharpen this as there is always so much waste - I'd much prefer a twist up design pencil (like MAC's Greasepaint Sticks). But this is such a good product and does what it promises so I will probably always repurchase!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by AriSatomi

I use this on the waterline, to waken my eyes up when I have too. I also use this on my lips when I want to mute them out. Works fast and you get a good amount of color. I use about 1 per six months and it's been 3 pencils now.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I'm definitely on the fence about high brow. I do use it very often. I like that it doesn't have a any sparkles. It does look good when your eyebrows are properly groomed. I don't know if I will ever purchase it again. It just seems like it's not worth the high price. I think that a different color would probably suit my skin tone a bit better. One good thing is that it seems to be long lasting.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by o0Kellie0o

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm a brow fanatic. I'm obsessed with how my eyebrows look and I absolutely love this product. I use it every day and feel it's the perfect colour for me. Others have said that they have found the product chalky but this is something I've not experienced and I have dry skin. I do moisturise and use a primer before applying any make up so maybe that eliminates the chalkiness. I'd definately continue to buy this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 9:08:00 AM More reviews by sputnik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great product. It always gives me the appearance of well-groomed brows, and I love that it highlights without shimmer. The difference is subtle, but noticeable. A little goes a long way, although I wish it was packaged like at automatic liner because sharpening it wastes product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 4:45:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I do love high brow but I've recently started using my eye bright as high brow because I love the flesh tone better.

High brow is a great product but I definitely don't think it's worth $22... you can honestly use a white or peach eyeliner pencil that's smooth enough.

I've had mine for 4 months now, and I haven't even sharpened it yet because a little goes a long long way.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:36:00 PM More reviews by LuluPow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This works okay as a brow highlighter. I like it for daytime because it is not shiny. Sometimes it goes on dry and chalky, so I have to be careful about not applying too much and blending it well, especially toward the end of my brow. It works about the same as the Anastasia brow stick.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by noddy154

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Im surprised how much i love this product. The colour is just right for highlighting purposes and there is a noticable different when wearing it. I think its quite versatile because it could be used for the inner corners of ur eyes if you wanted. It is very pigmented which is great because you only need to use a little bit and then blend it out which is really easy to do. i think it will last me a long time because of this, but if i do run out i will definately be buying another one. However after using it for some time now i have noticed it has dried up the skin under my eyebrows and continuing to use it on top of dry skin has made it worse as it looks flaky and doesnt apply evenly or blend very well. i think it could do with being a little softer or creamier. but overall i think it highlights that area alot better than using light eyeshadows(even when using a primer with the eyeshadow) as it lasts longer and has more of an effect than using an eyeshadow.